Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

14 hours ago, Clary said:

Hi LibrarianErin and others! First time posting here! I am scheduled for July 12! Currently on my pre-op diet. To be honest, it is a lot harder than I expected trying to fight the urge to eat and constantly having to remind myself that I cannot. Although it feels hard now I know future me will thank me for it.

I’ve also found TikTok, YouTube, and Reddit nice for information and following others to see their journey. Especially the food recipes.

Currently on day three of my pre op diet and on the first night I had a little moment where I started to panic thinking and just overwhelming myself with “what-ifs” but I found that watching videos and reading threads such as this one has helped ease my nerves a bit.

I was met with some criticism from peers and others about having the surgery mostly due to my age. Also the typical “just diet and exercise” answer which is frustrating as I’ve been trying that the last 4 years and struggling to lose anything. But I am doing this primarily for my health (a little tiny bit for myself lol) because I want to enjoy life again.

Excited to start the journey of a new lifestyle and learn to have a better relationship with food and myself! How is everyone else doing? :)

Welcome, @Clary! Thanks for sharing!

Yes, it's hard to remember not to eat. I feel this especially when there's food on the break table at work. Like, my first thought is more likely to be "how much of this will I eat?" or "when will I enjoy this treat?" rather than "I'm not eating that for now." I've been watching videos or reading this forum to help me resist temptation on my meal breaks!

So sorry you got undeserved criticism. I hate how people think they can make medical decisions for you when it comes to weight loss that they wouldn't even think of making for other conditions. LIke no one in her right mind would say, "But is surgery right for cancer? Can't you just eat better?" I'm ready to tell acquaintances I've had the surgery after it's over, when they can't argue with the results!

On 6/27/2023 at 2:11 PM, FifiLux said:

I know everyone is different but has anyone been given an indication from their clinics as to how much it might be possible to lose in the first month?

I am 260lbs (was 265 last week before I started my version of liquid diet) and at moment don't exercise unless you count walking round shops at a leisurely pace. I just find it hard here to get answers in English from my clinic that don't confuse me. In fairness they speak and write to me in English but sometimes it does not make actual sense and my French is terrible, unless it involves food. Like for example I have been told to bring my own bath towel and €1 coins for Water machine, now I know I am not going on a 4* holiday but I did expect that the hospital would provide towels and Water, for the limited amount I will be able to drink when there.

I didn't want to seem desperate and ask the surgeon :)

I haven't heard any numbers from my provider, but based on what I've heard/seen from content creators, I'd say weight loss for the first month averages 15-20 pounds. But at the same time, there are those who only lose a few pounds or none. Bodies can have a myriad of responses and response times to this surgery, it seems.

3 hours ago, Colin Bennett said:

I'm 3 days post-op for the first 3 days everything fine, but I keep waking up after 5 hours of lying down feeling sick, I've started walking daily 1 mile to alleviate the sickness and gas today I'm down on my fluids, as I've been feeling ill, however, i will try and complete my fluids today - start weight from the initial 2-week pre-op diet was 20.08 so far I've lost including pre-op fluids 22 pounds, there was really no pain after surgery.

Thanks for the update, @Colin Bennett! Stay focused on your whys! Maybe ask your provider if there is nausea medication you can take to help you get more sleep? Walking is a great plan.

47 minutes ago, Kpatrick85 said:

My surgery is set for July 26th I’m excited but scared lol I worry about the pain after

Hi, @Kpatrick85! Excited but scared sounds like a boat many of us are in or have been in! One thing that helps me is reading forums here like the June Buddies thread in which people share about their experiences. I try to focus on the fact that even those who experience pain only do so for a limited time and it isn't life threatening.

1 hour ago, Kpatrick85 said:

My surgery is set for July 26th I’m excited but scared lol I worry about the pain after

My surgery is the day after yours, the 27th. It'll be here before we know it. I totally get the apprehension...and fear and excitement.

3 hours ago, Kpatrick85 said:

the pain not that bad to be honest

11 hours ago, FifiLux said:

Not because of my age but just because of the way certain family and friends think they know what is best for everyone else I have kept the circle of who I have told small for now.

Once all goes well I don't mind after, as I am hoping that the results will show in a new look and lease on life for me. I just didn't want any negativity in advance as figure doing this on my own is enough to deal with.

I am like you, primarily for my health but I wouldn't mind if it gives me a bit more confidence in certain areas of my life and I feel more comfortable around others as at times I always just feel like the fat friend that no-one really considers or worse that they feel sorry for me.

Same here! I only told certain people only when it was necessary but it somewhat spread through friends and family. I now wish I did the same as you and just kept it to a minimum or refuse to expand further as now they all believe to be weight loss experts and chime in with their unwanted opinions, and it’s a bit frustrating..

I have always felt like the fat friend as well and it has really killed my social life mostly due to embarrassment about the way I look and feel like I take a ton of space for those around me you know?

Hopefully this lifestyle change will improve our confidence and change our way of life for the better! Good luck on your journey! :)

5 hours ago, LibrarianErin said:

Welcome, @Clary! Thanks for sharing!

Yes, it's hard to remember not to eat. I feel this especially when there's food on the break table at work. Like, my first thought is more likely to be "how much of this will I eat?" or "when will I enjoy this treat?" rather than "I'm not eating that for now." I've been watching videos or reading this forum to help me resist temptation on my meal breaks!

So sorry you got undeserved criticism. I hate how people think they can make medical decisions for you when it comes to weight loss that they wouldn't even think of making for other conditions. LIke no one in her right mind would say, "But is surgery right for cancer? Can't you just eat better?" I'm ready to tell acquaintances I've had the surgery after it's over, when they can't argue with the results!

Hi @LibrarianErin!

Yes!! I’m still adjusting my mind but I will admit it feels so hard when those around me offer me food or forget I’m on the diet. Because my first thought is “wow that looks so good” not “I can’t eat that”. Also, thank you for creating this forum! It has allowed me to gain more insight about the journey of others as well as learning a few new things on here! :)

I agree, the criticism is often them just thinking I’m lazy, taking the “easy” way out or not eating right or whichever reason, but I have tried all reasons to lose the weight naturally and also on medication and well, nothing worked.. As I mentioned in another reply I wish I was more tight lipped about the surgery to prevent all this negativity towards my surgery.

I sincerely believe the surgery is going to help me change my eating habits and start a new path of healthy choices! Hope all is well with you!

7 hours ago, Kpatrick85 said:

Mine is July 26th too. I’m also kinda scared and excited. But I think we got this 💪🏾. Let’s keep each other updated.

Yes!

my surgery date is July 31st. I’ve been telling my friends and family. Most are very supportive and some have asked why this is necessary but for the most part folks have been supportive.

I’ve also been following social media accounts which is very encouraging. Not as many men out there talking about this but I don’t think the experience is very different between genders.

I’m still a month out and wonder what are the things I can be doing now to make sure this all goes as smooth as possible.

On 06/29/2023 at 14:28, Colin from California said:

Yes!

my surgery date is July 31st. I’ve been telling my friends and family. Most are very supportive and some have asked why this is necessary but for the most part folks have been supportive.

I’ve also been following social media accounts which is very encouraging. Not as many men out there talking about this but I don’t think the experience is very different between genders.

I’m still a month out and wonder what are the things I can be doing now to make sure this all goes as smooth as possible.

My surgery date is the 31st too!!!! Twins!!

General question….why are you doing the gastric sleeve and not trying the medicine (weegovy / Mounjaro)?

i was planning on a gastric sleeve but now I think I’m going to try the medicine (wegovy/ Mounjaro). Im curious to hear your thoughts.

I have to pay out of pocket for the medicine and about $5000 for the surgery.

1 hour ago, Ct06033 said:

General question….why are you doing the gastric sleeve and not trying the medicine (weegovy / Mounjaro)?

i was planning on a gastric sleeve but now I think I’m going to try the medicine (wegovy/ Mounjaro). Im curious to hear your thoughts.

I have to pay out of pocket for the medicine and about $5000 for the surgery.

It's a serious decision, for sure. My plan was to try the meds first. While waiting for insurance to approve, I continued to further my research. I realized there really aren't solid empirical/blind studies that show potential risks with long term use. Some of these meds are new, and others still don't have reliable studies long term. I realize the meds work for many, but once discontinued the weight returns. I know a few people who had to stop the meds; one in particular was on Wegovy for several months and couldn't stop vomiting.

In the 1990's, I used phen-phen for weight loss. Later, studies revealed that drug was linked to serious heart issues. So I've learned to be pretty careful about weight loss meds. Everyone can choose their line in the sand. For me, this surgery is solely to stop my complex health issues from progressing by addressing persistent inflammation (the weight loss will be an added plus!).

We're all different, and I respect everyone's decision for their journey. For me, this decision has been a 7-month process, and I needed every bit of it to research and feel comfortable with it all. I'm hopeful for the future, but I also know that the surgery doesn't end my obesity. It's just the beginning of a lifelong journey for however long I have left on this planet. I wish you all the best! 😊

Hello Erin,

My first post here, and I thought I would join up today. My surgery is scheduled July 6th...Excited.