Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision from sleeve to bypass- questions.

I was approved today for my revision. I had a sleeve done in 2017. HW 255, LW 160, CW 210 😒. Anyway, I’ve had this horrible GERD and put off my revision all through COVID, I have Barrett’s esophagus, I’ll vomit from the reflux, bad teeth, and sores in my throat. So I’m getting this done, pretty nervous!!

So my questions are- (wish I asked my dr, I was so nervous at my appointment my mind was blank) what is the diet like compared to the sleeve? Same?

What does the restriction feel like compared to having a sleeve? I still have some restriction but can eat way more than I could the first year out from my sleeve. I’m hoping for weight loss along with getting this GERD resolved. So this is a fresh start I’m grateful for!

If it's the same doctor who did your sleeve, then the post op diet and progression will likely be the same; if it's a different doctor, then it will be whatever they normally do, but usually the sleeve and bypass are treated the same (there's usually more difference between doctors' practices than there are between procedures.)

While there are variations, you will probably be set back to much the way you were with your sleeve, and will evolve to eat similarly over time. Weight loss will not usually be as quick or as much (and may be disappointing if you are expecting a lot,) as you have already learned how to eat around a small stomach, and the size difference isn't nearly as much as between a virgin WLS and natural stomach.

12 hours ago, lucielu said:

I was approved today for my revision. I had a sleeve done in 2017. HW 255, LW 160, CW 210 😒. Anyway, I’ve had this horrible GERD and put off my revision all through COVID, I have Barrett’s esophagus, I’ll vomit from the reflux, bad teeth, and sores in my throat. So I’m getting this done, pretty nervous!!

So my questions are- (wish I asked my dr, I was so nervous at my appointment my mind was blank) what is the diet like compared to the sleeve? Same?

What does the restriction feel like compared to having a sleeve? I still have some restriction but can eat way more than I could the first year out from my sleeve. I’m hoping for weight loss along with getting this GERD resolved. So this is a fresh start I’m grateful for!

The diet is pretty much the same pre and post op but you may find you have new intolerances. Bright side is my GERD hasn’t returned!

The restriction however is different (IMHO). I can still achieve that fresh sleeve restriction but only when eating very dense and drier Proteins. Otherwise the restriction is different for me. It feels like a boredom with eating then a lower stomach fullness.

It may be down to the individual level what it feels like. I hope more people comment on this thread so you can get a variety of answers.

Good luck!

Edited by GreenTealael

Post-op diet is the same. No severe gerd anymore (yay). Restriction is different for me too as@GreenTealael mentioned. I liked the way she said "boredom with eating". I experienced that too! lol. To me, I feel a lot more restriction and control compared to the sleeve. But it's not really physical. It's a satisfaction feeling. Hard to explain. It also feels more natural (like before any WLS) once you learn your body's clues.

Thank you for the responses! It is just hard to wrap my head around what the changes will be like and trying to prepare the best I can. I'm going to get my preop scheduled soon and ask to see a dietician. I really went off my diet plan during COVID and need to just start all over. I need a refresher! For now I'm just trying to focus on Water intake and more Protein. I can't wait to be done with this GERD, I can't take it anymore.

I had my revision done with the same person so the diet was exactly the same post op. Bonus was I only had a 1 week liquid diet instead of 2.

I don’t feel restricted or get full cues so I have to weigh every single thing so I don’t over eat. Because I definitely have got sick/dry heaves when I was lazy and didn’t weigh.

Just a little update. Got my surgery scheduled for 11/30. I asked for refresh on the diet and am signed up for a couple of classes and online groups with other patients and dietician. Having really horrible GERD this month, I have vomited like 3 times this week from it. I’m so looking forward to the relief.

No revision here but wanted to say bellow and welcome. Hopefully you get your surgery date and some relief really soon.