Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

1 hour ago, SpartanMaker said:

I'm assuming your liver must be smaller than most of us? The reason they give for the preop diet is typically to shrink your liver to make the surgery safer for you and easier for the surgeon.

Maybe! Around 5 years ago my liver numbers started to look troubling but I got it under control. No one has said anything, and I'm not getting blood work specifically from my surgery center for another two weeks, but I think back when I started the process my primary ordered labwork and probably shared it with the surgeons office. So yeah maybe that's it.

4 hours ago, SpartanMaker said:

I use MyFitnessPal

I found it using my pc and started testing it. It seems pretty nice. I tried to put it on my phone and it keeps giving me an error, so I'll try that later. I do like the recipie adder, it was super simple. I compared the caleries and fat etc to what the baritastic app says and what the actual food says and it was way closer. I have been eating canned chicken sandwiches lately and the can says it has 2.5g fat for the 5 oz can. Fitness pal said 3g and baritastic says 10g. I got scolded by my dietition for eating too much fat and I found out it was the app being wrong instead of what I actually ate so I'm careful to check that now lol. Now if I can get it to work on my phone, that will be great.

Edited by Hope4NewMe

Had my last dietitian appointment today. Its weird that it was my last of any type of appointment until my actual surgery date. He just went over my 2 week pre-op diet. They had never mentioned a calorie limit in any of the classes, so I was surpised to find out that they want me to only have up to 800 calories per day for the 2 weeks. Mostly they expect this to happen because of the limited food and low carbs. I was planning on eating cream Soups though, strained like they allow on their list but he said to be careful of carbs and to not go over the calorie limit. I think I'm going to have a tougher time then I thought. I have to just keep reminding myself that its temporary:)

When does your diet start? I have not heard of limited calories either😳

I start sept 5. So I still have a long time to wait.

I just got my clever fox wellness planner! It looks awesome. I'm almost scared to write in it though. Like if I put things down in writing that it'll jinx things. I know I've done all the steps, meetings, insurance approval,paid all dues and I have a surgery date set, but its been such a long time (dec/jan) that it almost doesn't seem real.

I just got my clever fox wellness planner! It looks awesome. I'm almost scared to write in it though. Like if I put things down in writing that it'll jinx things. I know I've done all the steps, meetings, insurance approval,paid all dues and I have a surgery date set, but its been such a long time (dec/jan) that it almost doesn't seem real.

I'm thinking about getting one. Haven't quite decided yet!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have not written in mine yet either I will start when I start the pre op diet. That’s when I figure it is definitely gonna happen. 😂 I am like you and scared to jinx it.

Surgery date Sept 1, 2022. I have an appt of August 15 and should start the pre-op diet 2 weeks before the surgery date. I am looking forward to sharing this new lifestyle with Sept Buddies.

4 hours ago, tx2az said:

Surgery date Sept 1, 2022. I have an appt of August 15 and should start the pre-op diet 2 weeks before the surgery date. I am looking forward to sharing this new lifestyle with Sept Buddies.

Welcome! Have you started making any lifestyle changes yet?

Let me just say that days like today are so hard!! I think I have been hit by so much from every side today and kind of all back to back! I have been trying to keep up a decent diet yall but today I am not sure if I should eat everything in sight or nothing at all!!! How do y’all get through these days???

1 hour ago, Slwhurst said:

Let me just say that days like today are so hard!! I think I have been hit by so much from every side today and kind of all back to back! I have been trying to keep up a decent diet yall but today I am not sure if I should eat everything in sight or nothing at all!!! How do y’all get through these days???

You've actually made the first step!

Emotional eating is a huge problem for a lot of people and it's not just lack of willpower like people think. There are actual appetite-related hormones (cortosol is the big one), that are triggered by stress. Cortosol tells your brain that there is a danger and that it needs to fuel up to fight the danger.

The trick to overcoming this is first to recognize that stress is a trigger for you (YAY, you already did this part!). The second part is harder: you need to train yourself to recognize the difference between real hunger and stress hunger.

If your stomach is not telling you you're hungry and it's just your head, that's probably the cortisol at work. If you're still not sure, one thing you can try is to wait 20 minutes or so. If the hunger is real, you should be hungry still. if not, it was just the cortosol.

This will take time, but you can learn to tell the difference and overcome the stress induced eating.

Surgery date scheduled for September 13. Meet with the surgeon and the nutritionist on August 18. Begin the liver shrinking diet 2 week prior to surgery. Been following the diet since my last meeting with the nutritionist to get my body adapted to the change that’s coming. Started ordering the items I going to need after the surgery. When I talk to the surgeon on the 18th and find out the Multi-Vitamin I going to need since I’m currently on Iron pills due to me be anemic, I will start ordering my Vitamins and Calcium.

Yay more sept people - welcome! Can't wait to share everyones journey!

3 hours ago, Slwhurst said:

Sorry you were having a rough day. I eat when stressed and that will be a hard thing to change but I hope the surgery will make it easier until I learn better ways. Hope your day got better!

Well guys I made it through the night kitchen intact. Decided to have a small snack and call it a day! It’s a new day and welcome all our new September peeps!!! I am so happy all of you are going to fight this with us! Good luck in your journey-our journey and keep us posted on problems, goals and all things good bad and ugly!!!!