Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

2 hours ago, Hope4NewMe said:

Anyone else buying stuff yet and what are you getting?

So far, I just ordered a bunch of new flavors of Premier Protein shakes since I have a hard time finding them locally. I also put Bone Broth, sugar free Jello & Gatorade Zero on my shopping list for this weekend.

I'm a bit of a planner too, so I've also created a list of weekly diet, workout, and other goals between now and surgery, with a different set of goals post surgery.

1 hour ago, SpartanMaker said:

So far, I just ordered a bunch of new flavors of Premier Protein shakes since I have a hard time finding them locally. I also put Bone Broth, sugar free Jello & Gatorade Zero on my shopping list for this weekend.

I'm a bit of a planner too, so I've also created a list of weekly diet, workout, and other goals between now and surgery, with a different set of goals post surgery.

Have you tried any of the Bone Broth? I have ordered fire and kettle in chicken and beef flavor but I haven't tried it yet. It was recomended to me by my dietition. If you are comfortable sharing I would love to hear what types of weekly goals you set yourself. I think it would make the time go faster if I broke it up into weeks so I think that you have a wonderful idea there. Your surgery is just 1 day after mine it seems, so we have the same amount of time to fill :)

3 hours ago, Slwhurst said:

I work 10 hour days so I ordered some 5 ounce reusable bottles to be able to prepare my meals for the days after surgery while still doing liquid. I have also started trying to get used to sugar free yogurt. So far chobani zero greek yogurt is a doable option. Don’t forget you are allowed sugar free popsicles as well!

The bottles are a great idea. I did buy some ice cube trays because I didn't actually have any and I read that they hold about 2 oz each cube. Just in hopes of not wasting too much food after the surgery. I am glad to hear chobani is good. I haven't tried it yet but it was the only sugar free brand I saw available. With this heat, popsicles will be a nice treat :)

1 minute ago, Hope4NewMe said:

Have you tried any of the Bone Broth? I have ordered fire and kettle in chicken and beef flavor but I haven't tried it yet. It was recomended to me by my dietition. If you are comfortable sharing I would love to hear what types of weekly goals you set yourself. I think it would make the time go faster if I broke it up into weeks so I think that you have a wonderful idea there. Your surgery is just 1 day after mine it seems, so we have the same amount of time to fill :)

I haven't really had any Bone Broth in a while, so can't recommend them at this point. If I try a few, I'll be sure to let folks know if some of the are particularly good (or bad!).

My goals are probably a little unique to me, but the thing I've learned about being on the diet and exercise yo-yo too many times than I can count, is that I do better if I start SLOOOOOW. For example, right now, my goal this week for exercise is just to ride my recumbent bike at least 3 times a week for 8 minutes each time. Every week between now and my surgery, I plan to up the number of minutes by two. Thus next week, the goal will be 10 minutes, 3 times a week.

It's possible that even going up by 2 minutes a week is too aggressive, so if it doesn't happen, I won't sweat it. The reason I picked that amount was that I was hoping to be around 20 minutes a day 3 times a week by the time I hit my surgery week. I think if I get there, I'll feel better and recover faster. I'm sure to some that seems pitiful, but it's what I think I can do. It would do me no good to be too aggressive and then hurt myself.

For what it's worth, I don't plan to do any strength training until about 4 months post surgery. I know that probably seems like a long time to some, but I didn't get so badly out of shape overnight. I have to keep reminding myself to be careful and not overdo things.

Diet-wise, I have 2 goals right now: Start talking smaller bites and replace 1 meal per day with a Protein Shake. That's really it. I'm lucky I suppose in that I don't eat a lot of junk food, so I don't have to overcome that issue too. Over time, I really need to start working on the whole complete chewing thing (which is a HUGE problem for me), but I realized I have to start with smaller bites. Until that's a habit, I won't add complete chewing to the regimen.

I have the worst time with exercise at all! My daughter and I started out well enough for us at walking 10 min, 3 times a week. But then we had a trip and a wedding and we haven't exercised at all. I know I need exercise, I just have a bad time with motivation and sticking to it. I want to get up in the morning and just do it and get it over with, but since its not a habit yet I haven't succeeded. This month things have to change though, surgery is coming up and I need good habits. I love that you have a reasonable goal and flexibility to your schedule so that you are kind to yourself.

I am not going to sub any meals with protien drinks until I have to but I think thats a great idea. I am trying to eat less fat and I'm so proud of myself because I have been able to stop drinking soda completely. My whole life I have been addicted to soda and hated Water but now I don't buy any and I don't miss it either. I've noticed I have more energy and I'm less hungry after switching to water too.

I think my biggest food challenge is the not drinking with meals. I have tried it and I seem to just get thirstier and thirstier. I think its just a mental thing but its a hard one for me. Even eating out, how do you even get a drink at all? Usually its 30 min for us once the meal has arrived and then get the bill and leave. Maybe I can get a water to go? I don't know lol.

Oh and Amazon has this great wellness journal from clever fox! It has monthly reviews you can keep up with measurements and goals and log what you intake and exercise!

I have to check out that wellness journal. I have have been trying to figure out how to keep all my thoughts and goals all in one place. Yay another sept buddy! I'm jealous of your early date.

Clever Fox Wellness Planner - Weekly & Daily Health and Wellness Log, food Journal & Meal Planner Diary for Calorie Counting, Notebook for Medical Condition Tracking, A5-Sized - Rose Gold https://a.co/d/iXxS9s6

Here is the link on Amazon

The link didnt work for me but I used your description and found it easily enough. I bought one in purple, my favorite color :)

Glad you were able to find it and I hope it works well for you. I plan on starting mine the first day of my liquid diet!

I agree that the liquid diet seems a great place to start. Thats when I think I'll take my offiicial starting weight and hope that I lose something during the 2 weeks of pre op torture lol.

Edited by Hope4NewMe

I am scheduled for gastric bypass on September 28th. I'm super nervous and have even had days I've gone back and forth asking myself if I really want to go through with it. I'm new here and getting lots of information. I'm sure I'll have questions soon!

Welcome and I go through times of nerves and excitement. I've wanted to get the bypass for years so I was super excited when my husband switched jobs and it was now mostly covered by insurance. The closer it gets the more I get nervous because its a big change and because its a choice. Honestly, if I don't get the surgery I'll probably just keep getting bigger and more amd more unhealthy. I have years of proof to myself that regular diets of every other kind have only been temporarily successful. I just have to keep reminding myself of that though lol.

I new here and my surgery date is September 13

Welcome!