Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 month post op activities

Yesterday was 29 days since my surgery and the first time I did something more than just going to the store. I went to a baseball game with my kids... WOW I was not ready for that. I felt terrible the entire time. Tired, sore, almost felt like I was going to pass out at times. I defiantly over did it. But I didn't want to deprive my kids of going to do something...

Should I feel so bad a month after surgery? Im nervous now to do anything else like this...

Any good ideas of what I could have eaten there to maybe get my energy up ? Everything I seen was fried and I couldn't bring anything into the stadium.

I hope It gets better because I can't feel this way every time I do something....

You've been through surgery and since then you've barely had any food and if you were anything like me, relatively little activity. Of course your tired and lack energy.

For me, at a month out this sort of outing was unthinkable. Walking from one part of the house to another was a challenge.

You've gotten used to carrying a few hundred extra pounds. You have the skeleton and muscles to move it all around. In a short time all the muscle and bone will not have so many extra pounds to move around. It will almost feel like you are floating and you will have energy to spare.

A little more patience. Then watch out.

Good luck,

Tek

I did not give the surgery the care it deserved. I think it was because of the 1 day hospital stay. It made it seem a more minor procedure. I also didn't realise the time it would take a woman my age and disability to recover. I didn't start bouncing along till I got to the 4 month mark. I needed nana naps during the day and if I had a busy day I knew about the next day.

Cut yourself some slack when you can. It will take as long as it takes

4 hours ago, Veritas34 said:

Yesterday was 29 days since my surgery and the first time I did something more than just going to the store. I went to a baseball game with my kids... WOW I was not ready for that. I felt terrible the entire time. Tired, sore, almost felt like I was going to pass out at times. I defiantly over did it. But I didn't want to deprive my kids of going to do something...

Should I feel so bad a month after surgery? Im nervous now to do anything else like this...

Any good ideas of what I could have eaten there to maybe get my energy up ? Everything I seen was fried and I couldn't bring anything into the stadium.

I hope It gets better because I can't feel this way every time I do something....

I had my surgery on June 10th so I'm at about a month also. I feel better overall but I get tired so incredibly easy still. I went to walk around Lowes Home Improvement today and to get some things because my first project post OP today was supposed to be scraping popcorn ceiling in my recently acquired spare bedroom but I haven't managed to even start wetting down the ceiling. It's only 3:40 and I feel like I've done a ton which I haven't. I feel most days like I could take a nap every day (unfortunately I can't because of work) and by the time I get home M-F, I'm ready for bed by 8pm. Before surgery, I was a night owl, even on work days.

So I'm with ya! I would love to know where to get some energy from. My eating and drinking is pretty darn good because of the Baritastic app and reminders so I'm not sure why I feel so tired this far out from surgery when I see so many others have tons of energy and they're not far out from their surgery.

Our bodies all recover differently. Best advice I can give is to give in and rest and take naps as needed. Your body recovers while you sleep so the more you do it now when your body is calling out for it the quicker you will recover in the long run.

As far as food for energy, you may or may not be able to talk them into letting you bring in a Protein Shake but when you get a little further out you can usually sneak in a beef Jerky or a Protein Bar for longer outings where you truly can’t find a healthy option.

Post surgery I ALwAYS have a cooler in my car packed full of healthy options I can run back to even if I don’t expect to be out all day. If I leave the house, I’m ready for hours with my Yeti packed just in case. And I always bring my favorite Salad Dressing and my sugar free BBQ Sauce with me so if I have to do fast food I don’t have to use their high calorie sauces. I find several healthy options at Chick-fil-A. Any of their Salads with grilled chicken or grilled nugget kids meal with fresh fruit.

It will get so much better! It took about 5-6 months before I completely felt back to normal, as far as doing physical things.

When you resume a more normal diet, you will figure out the Snacks that will tide you over between meals when you are out. for me, it is grapes, cheese sticks, and Keto Protein Bars. Or, I use the time that I am out to take care of the majority of my fluids for the day.

Yep, we all heal & recovery differently and it can be surprising how exhausting simple activities can be for a while. I remember doing a very basic one bag grocery shop & thought I was going to keel over. (Also wanted to punch the ladies gossiping in the doorway ignoring me & blocking my exit - I just wanted to get to my car so I could sit down & go home.)

If you do go out, take an electrolyte drink with you (Hydralyte was my go to) to give you an extra boost.

You'll be out doing lots of things & more than you ever did with your children before you know it.

Hi! I had surgery on 6/17 and went to a baseball game last Saturday. Luckily my seats were in a place I had little stairs. What I did (that may help for future outings) was drank a protien drink at home before leaving, then I sipped on a Gatorade zero with Protein on the drive. I was hoping that the protein and added electrolytes would help. I then bought Water at the game to keep sipping on. I was able to find a place that sold a salad with chicken on it. I can't eat raw veggies so just picked at the chicken.

Hope you feel better soon! I am also hoping full energy comes soon. I am getting restless and not cleared for anything more than walking.

Sent from my SM-G991U using BariatricPal mobile app