Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The ENTIRE bagel???? Like, SERIOUSLY?!

So things were really busy at work, and they brought in lunch. I made myself a bagel with vegetables and brought it back to my desk. I was totally not paying attention when I suddenly realized that restriction hit-- I looked down and saw that I HAD EATEN THE WHOLE BAGEL, leaving over literally two bites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now yes, I know that I need to be more mindful, pay attention to what's going in. And yes, I was totally annoyed at myself for allowing that to happen.

But I have a different, more pressing question! WHY WAS I ABLE TO TOLERATE THE ENTIRE FREAKIN BAGEL??????? Why didn't restriction hit way earlier??? Shouldn't my stomach have protested earlier?????

I'd love to hear: Do you prepare the size portion you want to eat based on its size and then go no further? Let's say you aren't full? Do you take more, or try to train yourself to only eat that portion? Does everyone on this forum use the Bariatric Pal portion plates and bowls? I never bought them... and I guess that's why I can eat a bowl of Cheerios 😣 😣 😣 😣 I should be using an itty bitty bowl and telling myself that's all I need, right?????

Ok friends. Go ahead. Hit me over the head and give me what I deserve. I think it's time for a thrashing to get me back in place. :(

I don’t know when your surgery was so it’s kinda hard to tell but once your like a year out it’s normal to be able to eat around one serving of most things. For some, bread sits heavy. They are lucky in my opinion because I, like you, could eat an entire bagel if I let myself. I guess in the future maybe only put half on your plate just in case. I have to measure out my food at 16 months out because I can eat more than I should. But if I stop and wait a little while I realize I am satisfied on less.

I'm only 6 months out... I know I do have to pre-portion bec I just don't feel that restriction hit like so many people on this forum are talking about. I guess the only real answer is pre-portioning and sticking to it. It's a matter of training my body...

i am 2-3 months out and i can eat a whole bagel if i wanted. Bagel may look big but once you chew chew chew it is not that big so of course you will be able to eat it all. Yesterday at work i ate a whole turkey and cheese sandwich within 10 minutes.

I'm ~10 months. I don't use Portion Control plates or containers, but I do frequently weigh/measure foods. Not always, maybe 50% of the time. It helps keep me accountable and helps me understand my own hunger & full queues, eating habits, etc. I typically will only portion out what I think I will/can eat. If I eat it all and feel like I need a little more, then so be it. But that is rarely the case. My husband has become a garbage disposal for my onsie-twosie left over bites. I do however still track EVERYTHING I eat. I know myself, and this is what works for me, though I know a lot of folks do not track. At this point, I could probably eat a whole bagel, but it would very likely upset my stomach. I've never dumped, but if I eat a carb heavy meal, especially one with very little Protein, I get nauseous and often develop the dreaded foamies. With something like that, something considered a "slider food" its very easy to eat around your restriction. If you are mindlessly munching on it one bite at a time, its going to pass more quickly than something with lots of protein & Fiber, so you'll be able to keep eating a bite at a time without ever really feeling full. Remember, restriction is different for everyone and can even vary from day to day. The surgery is just a tool, but with enough work (or not enough, as the case may be), you can absolutely circumvent it. All that being said, it was just one meal. Now you know to be more mindful going forward. Use it as a helpful bit of data and move on.

How fast did you eat it? Remember it takes time for messages to get through & maybe you ate so quickly you didn’t get the message until it was too late. It can be easy to do when not eating mindfully. I know I’ve done it & bet others have too. Some days we slip and that’s okay. See it as being a good reminder.

My full signal takes a while to kick in (up to 90 mins sometimes I discovered to my discomfort) so it would be easy to eat more than I need. I try to eat until I’ve had enough not until I’m full or I feel my restriction. It’s why I ask myself if I need the next bite or just want it.

I’ve served all my meals to a portion size since surgery three years ago. Though some days I eat less of my serve. Like I haven’t eaten all my usual serve of my Breakfast once this week. Didn’t want it. I ate what I needed & put the leftovers in the fridge.

Certainly you are able to physically eat more as you progress until you are able to consume about a recommended portion of most if not all foods. How long until this happens is an individual thing. For me it was a few months after I reached goal.

I could really eat anything I wanted to 6 months out...however I found out I was not being mindful about WHAT I eating AT ALL. so when I started to really think about what I was putting in my tummy it all changed for me...I am a carb girl so I totally stopped all carbs and stayed around 30 grams per day and the weight started to fall of. This however to took almost 2 years to get my body and mind in the right place.

I know when I do not chew my food and eat too fast my pouch tells me so. So yes you can but no don't do it. N not worth it. Load up on Protein and veg first and then maybe later if you do want that bagel then you can have it. But by then you mostly won" t want it...

Everyone is different

best of luck on you journey

5 hours ago, ImsexyandIknowit said:

I could really eat anything I wanted to 6 months out...however I found out I was not being mindful about WHAT I eating AT ALL. so when I started to really think about what I was putting in my tummy it all changed for me...I am a carb girl so I totally stopped all carbs and stayed around 30 grams per day and the weight started to fall of. This however to took almost 2 years to get my body and mind in the right place.

I know when I do not chew my food and eat too fast my pouch tells me so. So yes you can but no don't do it. N not worth it. Load up on Protein and veg first and then maybe later if you do want that bagel then you can have it. But by then you mostly won" t want it...

Everyone is different

best of luck on you journey

I am 5 months PO and this particular week I aim feeling hungry, like really hungry, I have stayed away from carbs, which have been always my biggest addiction. I gained 2 pounds this week and I am not even eating carbs, I used to feel restriction but is not working as effective these days. I think this is where the real hard work begins.

I weigh all my food (and log in real time) before eating. If i don't have a scale, I Portion Control by volume. My program has that if I eat anything, meal or snack, always have some Protein with it, even if it is a little amount. cheese, meat... Etc. It helps trigger fullness and will help cravings for later in the day as well. Since you had a bagel with veggies, maybe a small addition of some protein would've helped you. Since Bagels are refined carbs they are slider foods for some and will go right through you (like cake and cookies).

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

13 minutes ago, idk4w said:

Sorry, can you explain- what's a slider food?

Slider foods seem to go right through us and don’t fill us up. For me it’s things like chips and popcorn I could seemingly eat an entire bowl without getting full. I didn’t realize that bread would be a slider food for anyone since bread actually sits so heavy for many people (it’s just normal for me) but we are all different I guess??

On 7/8/2022 at 10:37 AM, idk4w said:

I'm only 6 months out... I know I do have to pre-portion bec I just don't feel that restriction hit like so many people on this forum are talking about. I guess the only real answer is pre-portioning and sticking to it. It's a matter of training my body...

I'm almost 3 months out and I could eat the whole bagel and probably more. The only time I get restriction is when I have to sip on Water with a meal. I hate that I no longer have restriction

2 hours ago, Happy Stylist said:

I'm almost 3 months out and I could eat the whole bagel and probably more. The only time I get restriction is when I have to sip on Water with a meal. I hate that I no longer have restriction

So you actually do have your restriction it’s just that it occurs with a certain behaviour. The power of the restriction does fade over time. We learn behaviours to avoid it & your body learns how to process what you eat more effectively like how we can eat more as we progress. I still have my restriction at three years out but I only feel it if I’m not careful say if I eat too quickly or drink too much & then I know about it.

On 7/9/2022 at 12:51 AM, idk4w said:

So things were really busy at work, and they brought in lunch. I made myself a bagel with vegetables and brought it back to my desk. I was totally not paying attention when I suddenly realized that restriction hit-- I looked down and saw that I HAD EATEN THE WHOLE BAGEL, leaving over literally two bites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now yes, I know that I need to be more mindful, pay attention to what's going in. And yes, I was totally annoyed at myself for allowing that to happen.

But I have a different, more pressing question! WHY WAS I ABLE TO TOLERATE THE ENTIRE FREAKIN BAGEL??????? Why didn't restriction hit way earlier??? Shouldn't my stomach have protested earlier?????

I'd love to hear: Do you prepare the size portion you want to eat based on its size and then go no further? Let's say you aren't full? Do you take more, or try to train yourself to only eat that portion? Does everyone on this forum use the Bariatric Pal portion plates and bowls? I never bought them... and I guess that's why I can eat a bowl of Cheerios 😣 😣 😣 😣 I should be using an itty bitty bowl and telling myself that's all I need, right?????

Ok friends. Go ahead. Hit me over the head and give me what I deserve. I think it's time for a thrashing to get me back in place. :(

I shouldn't laugh but surely a bagel isn't that big to start with, how far out from surgery are you ? And you did leave 2 bites behind so it wasn't the whole bagel. If it makes you feel any better most of us are surprised by how much we can eat. You should be able to eat a normal serving of most things. Those that say they can only eat a couple of bite per sitting are not the norm. Sure we all wish we could be a 2 bites and I am full but that's not the reality of it. Now cheerios they are slider foods foods that slid on down into our tummies and they never make us feel full so just be mindful of things like that .

Edited by SleeverSk