Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2022 surgery support

Looking at October 2022 for my surgery (vsg)
anyone else around that time ???

I am already making a lot of dietary changes and want to do a “trial run” of some of the presurgical dietary requirements so that my brain and food issues don’t sabotage my success when it comes down to go time.

Soo…. Roll call for October ??

I had mine on the 10th.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BariatricPal mobile app

I would talk to your doctor. I'm 6 days post op, and I had no anxiety going in or uncertainty. I knew I wanted to do this. I'm not saying that to brag, I am saying it because post op is hard. I have had several moments of wondering what in the heck I have done. I can't imagine what those moments would look like if I was unsure going into it. Sometimes the thing that brings me back now is remembering how sure and confident I was before.
With that said, the surgery itself wasn't hard for me. I didn't have a lot of pain. I did have stomach spasms (last for a couple of seconds) every time I sipped anything for like the first 4 days. They have become much more random and occasional and less painful by day 6 though. I am struggling with upping my Fluid intake (I have no urge to drink or hunger, which yay but it makes drinking anything a challenge when your body says you are already full).
The emotional aspect though is rough. I know MANY people struggle with buyers remorse for the first month and then report that it gets so much better. I cried for no reason because my husband brought home pizza last night. I cried wondering if my life will get back to some semblance of normal. And I am not a person that cries often. My husband panicked.
Most people have anxiety around surgery itself, so if it's that, then I would say it's normal. However, if you are having anxiety and concern around the lifestyle itself, that would be a red flag for me.
I hope it gets better, and I hope you make the right choice for you (whatever it may be).
Thank you for sharing your experience, which was very helpful. I've struggled today, but am going forward with surgery tomorrow. I know it will be hard, but I'm the end it's the best way for better health in my future. So glad to have found this group. It's been helpful to hear from people and see regular discussion of life ahead. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi all!! Just had my SG done on 10/11. I was able to lose 12lbs prior to my surgery and have since dropped 10 more. Currently eating pureed cauliflower, peas, carrots and celery mixed together and using low sodium chicken gravy to help "soup" it up some 3x a day (About ¼ cup ea. time). In-between I drink 8oz of Protein whey isolate or Chicken / vegetable stock (mixed) hourly. My "before 730pm" treat is sugar-free Jello. So far so good.

I'm having VSG October 10th. I had an appt at my PCP today and I'm down 12 pounds already. Start my preop liquid diet in 17 days! Nice to connect with others!

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

You have this! Set your goals and dreams in front of you so that you are always moving forward

I was supposed to have been scheduled for mid to late August. I called and messaged the RN who was supposed to schedule it for me finally 2 weeks later I get a message saying sorry I forgot to schedule it before I left for my 2 week vacation and that the soonest the surgeon has available was October 4th. Talk about frustrating I wanted to reach through the phone and grab her and shake her and tell her she better fix it and make it for August but I tried to calm down and just go with the flow and time has actually gone by really fast so trying not to be too mad at her lol
Focus on your goal. Keep your dream in front of you and don't let obstacles deter you.

Mine is scheduled for October 11th.

I don't eat fast food (too expensive), or drink. I've been doing ok with my diet. I lost 14 lbs but then gained 2.

I'm scared about the surgery, and feel unprepared.

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

My SG was also 10/11. Keep your goals and dream in front of you so that you are always moving forward.

October is a month of life changing experiences for us all. Feeling nervous, having second thoughts, eating all our favs prior to commencement, is what's going through all our minds. We are all on a journey to better our health, prolong our life & most of all feel good about ourselves. We've got this. Prayers for us all.
I was held captive by second thoughts. Lots of prayer, setting my goals and my dreams ahead of me gives me push to keep moving forward. My SG was done 10/11. I'm now, not who I was and am looking forward to discovering the new me...even at 63!

1 hour ago, KevinB said:

Hi all!! Just had my SG done on 10/11. I was able to lose 12lbs prior to my surgery and have since dropped 10 more. Currently eating pureed cauliflower, peas, carrots and celery mixed together and using low sodium chicken gravy to help "soup" it up some 3x a day (About ¼ cup ea. time). In-between I drink 8oz of Protein whey isolate or chicken / vegetable stock (mixed) hourly. My "before 730pm" treat is sugar-free Jello. So far so good.

It's crazy to me how different doctors have different schedules for the post op diet.

I also had the sleeve on 10/11 and have another week of liquids to go before I can do pureed/soft.

Though, it makes me happy to hear you can handle the foods. Gives me hope that when I get started maybe I won't face many issues.

Congrats!

It's crazy to me how different doctors have different schedules for the post op diet.
I also had the sleeve on 10/11 and have another week of liquids to go before I can do pureed/soft.
Though, it makes me happy to hear you can handle the foods. Gives me hope that when I get started maybe I won't face many issues.
Congrats!
Small small portions pureed very fine but I see it as a step forward.
We are all different..your time will come and im excited to hear your victories in this

Congrats!
It is. I had mine on 10.11 too. I'm still on liquids the booklet I received says stage 2 is for 2 weeks and then this other paperwork I got at the hospital says 10 days. I can only have Protein Shakes, Soups, Water, Jello, and Popsicles. I did blend up some Soup and then put it through a strainer and pretty much nothing went through =(. I can't wait for applesauce, or yogurt even!

Scared but excited.

5'10, 388lbs. Had my VSG revision to a SADI-S yesterday and am now home. Looking forward to getting my life back again.

Hi all!! Just had my SG done on 10/11. I was able to lose 12lbs prior to my surgery and have since dropped 10 more. Currently eating pureed cauliflower, peas, carrots and celery mixed together and using low sodium chicken gravy to help "soup" it up some 3x a day (About ¼ cup ea. time). In-between I drink 8oz of Protein whey isolate or Chicken / vegetable stock (mixed) hourly. My "before 730pm" treat is sugar-free Jello. So far so good.

8 oz an hour is a lot! I get max 5 oz an hour. Great job!

I haven't really weighed myself yet. I told myself that when I'm feeling better and not swollen still I will.

Scared but excited.

Day 2 post op vsg in Turkey.

5 day hospital stay.

My first night was horrendous. I was nauseated and threw up three times. Since my stomach was empty it was just post surgery foam. But man that hurts.

Today I was up and walking my post gas pains aren't too bad. I managed a bowel movement which helps get the gas moving. I've never been so happy to fart.

I was allowed a little Water today but am still on IV and I have a drain connected to my largest incision. I was told this is to monitor leakage. It should be removed tomorrow as long as my 2nd leak test is cleared.

Pain has been manageable but I did ask for some relief in the evening as the getting up to walk every hour had caught up to me. I'm not sure if it was the pain medicine, antibiotics or anti nausea medicine injected into the iv that I could suddenly taste but it was such a weird experience.

Luckily swallowing was no issue. So im hoping it's uphill from here, though I'll be curious if I also will have some gastro issues from my first "food".

Edited by Momsaysimaoops

14 hours ago, Momsaysimaoops said:

Day 2 post op vsg in Turkey.

5 day hospital stay.

My first night was horrendous. I was nauseated and threw up three times. Since my stomach was empty it was just post surgery foam. But man that hurts.

Today I was up and walking my post gas pains aren't too bad. I managed a bowel movement which helps get the gas moving. I've never been so happy to fart.

I was allowed a little Water today but am still on IV and I have a drain connected to my largest incision. I was told this is to monitor leakage. It should be removed tomorrow as long as my 2nd leak test is cleared.

Pain has been manageable but I did ask for some relief in the evening as the getting up to walk every hour had caught up to me. I'm not sure if it was the pain medicine, antibiotics or anti nausea medicine injected into the iv that I could suddenly taste but it was such a weird experience.

Luckily swallowing was no issue. So im hoping it's uphill from here, though I'll be curious if I also will have some gastro issues from my first "food".

You got this! Those first few days post op are rough emotionally and physically. Just be gentle with yourself and the process.

I have to keep reminding myself that I am only 8 days post op from having like 80% of my stomach removed to keep it in perspective. Am I drinking enough fluids? No, but I'm only 8 days po and getting better each day. Am I drinking enough Protein? No, but getting better each day.

Just keep the perspective that each day something will be even a tiny but easier.