Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2022 surgery support

25 minutes ago, Jeanniebug said:

Yay! I'm thankful to report that my recovery has been relatively easy, too. I get to advance to purees in 5 days. :) I can't decide if I want refried Beans or ricotta bake, first.

I'll have to re-try the Syntrax Nectars. I tried them pre-op and didn't like them. Now that my tastes have changed a little bit, I might like them better.

My hunger is returning, but I'm 11 days out, now.

I didn't like them preop either! But they taste really good to me now. Glad I didn't stock up too much cause I figured my tastes would change. My favorite is Roadside Lemonade and strawberry kiwi 😁 I really want to try the fuzzy navel one but it's always sold out!

Hello all. I thought I’d check in since I’m almost one week out from my surgery. My biggest impression is how different I feel today than i did at the beginning of the week. I was in a lot of pain, some of which I mistook for hunger which had me in a panic. I was really worried that I’d done the right thing, which seems to be a common theme in lots of posts about the early days after surgery! I also managed to get a dressing wet when trying to take my first shower after I got home, and flew into a full blown panic attack thinking I had really done something terrible. I know that probably seems like a massive overreaction (because, to be fair, it was!) but I think all of the worry and fear I’d been carrying around for weeks chose that moment to erupt. My partner was incredibly kind and patient and calmly replaced the bandage and let me cry. And that in some ways felt like a real turning point. A friend of mine who is a nurse and has also had the same bypass procedure suggested that I take my pain medication regularly for a few days whether I felt like I needed or not, and so I did like clockwork. That made a huge difference and I realised how much I had been trying to ‘tough it out’. By yesterday I was able to switch to plain paracetamol, and I’m feeling much much better - stiff and achey, no doubt, but on the whole pretty human.

And I’m also excited to say that since the beginning of my two week pre op diet I have lost over 20 lbs - about a pound a day on average. I know it won’t continue at this rate forever, but it’s been pretty freaking motivating so far! And once I was able to differentiate between pain or gurgling, I realised that I wasn’t experiencing any hunger at all. Even when my partner eats around me, I feel pretty disinterested (annoyingly they’ve lost a stone as well in the past month through healthier eating, but I have to remind myself that they were 15 lbs overweight and I have over 100 to lose!)

So far I’ve been sticking to clear whey Protein isolate mixed with Water, which means I am hitting my water and protein goals every day. I don’t love the taste, but I’m not particularly here for the taste. As far as I’m concerned, they are a nutritional supplement I have to take every day - just like my Vitamins. With that mindset, it’s been pretty easy so far. In fact, I plan to speak to my team to see if it’s possible to carry on with them right through the puree stage, as I’m getting all the protein and vitamins and minerals I need and I’m not that fussed about tuna puree! 😂

And best moment of the week so far - this morning my partner told me that my KNEES looks skinnier! I have no idea what that means but I will take it!

I've found keeping on top of the pain the best way to go. I skipped a dose thinking I'd be fine but really regretted it. The worst pain is in the incision they pulled my stomach out of. The surgeon said they have to cut through muscle and that's why it hurts so bad. I can't wait to be able to sleep on my side.

I made a mistake yesterday thinking I could drink one of my Ghost Protein Fruity Cereal Milks and gosh it was disgusting. Tasted like drinking pure chemicals. My tastes really have changed a lot since surgery.

I only lost 3 pounds this week. I know my body has a lot going on but I can't help but be a little disappointed. I keep reminding myself I lost 19 on the pre op diet. But ugh. I'm consuming less than 500 calories a day! I think I need to stop obsessing over the scale. I've been weighing every day. It's not good for my psyche. 🥺

Good luck to all the 10/31-ers tomorrow!

3 hours ago, Snetsky said:

Hello all. I thought I’d check in since I’m almost one week out from my surgery. My biggest impression is how different I feel today than i did at the beginning of the week. I was in a lot of pain, some of which I mistook for hunger which had me in a panic. I was really worried that I’d done the right thing, which seems to be a common theme in lots of posts about the early days after surgery! I also managed to get a dressing wet when trying to take my first shower after I got home, and flew into a full blown panic attack thinking I had really done something terrible. I know that probably seems like a massive overreaction (because, to be fair, it was!) but I think all of the worry and fear I’d been carrying around for weeks chose that moment to erupt. My partner was incredibly kind and patient and calmly replaced the bandage and let me cry. And that in some ways felt like a real turning point. A friend of mine who is a nurse and has also had the same bypass procedure suggested that I take my pain medication regularly for a few days whether I felt like I needed or not, and so I did like clockwork. That made a huge difference and I realised how much I had been trying to ‘tough it out’. By yesterday I was able to switch to plain paracetamol, and I’m feeling much much better - stiff and achey, no doubt, but on the whole pretty human.

And I’m also excited to say that since the beginning of my two week pre op diet I have lost over 20 lbs - about a pound a day on average. I know it won’t continue at this rate forever, but it’s been pretty freaking motivating so far! And once I was able to differentiate between pain or gurgling, I realised that I wasn’t experiencing any hunger at all. Even when my partner eats around me, I feel pretty disinterested (annoyingly they’ve lost a stone as well in the past month through healthier eating, but I have to remind myself that they were 15 lbs overweight and I have over 100 to lose!)

So far I’ve been sticking to clear whey Protein isolate mixed with Water, which means I am hitting my Water and Protein goals every day. I don’t love the taste, but I’m not particularly here for the taste. As far as I’m concerned, they are a nutritional supplement I have to take every day - just like my Vitamins. With that mindset, it’s been pretty easy so far. In fact, I plan to speak to my team to see if it’s possible to carry on with them right through the puree stage, as I’m getting all the protein and Vitamins and minerals I need and I’m not that fussed about tuna puree! 😂

And best moment of the week so far - this morning my partner told me that my KNEES looks skinnier! I have no idea what that means but I will take it!

I'm glad to hear you're doing better!

I, too, have appreciated how easy it is to get in my protein and fluids by using the shakes. But, alas, they won't let us drink them forever. We have to start eating real food.

30 minutes ago, kiel_d-01 said:

I've found keeping on top of the pain the best way to go. I skipped a dose thinking I'd be fine but really regretted it. The worst pain is in the incision they pulled my stomach out of. The surgeon said they have to cut through muscle and that's why it hurts so bad. I can't wait to be able to sleep on my side.

I made a mistake yesterday thinking I could drink one of my Ghost Protein Fruity Cereal Milks and gosh it was disgusting. Tasted like drinking pure chemicals. My tastes really have changed a lot since surgery.

I only lost 3 pounds this week. I know my body has a lot going on but I can't help but be a little disappointed. I keep reminding myself I lost 19 on the pre op diet. But ugh. I'm consuming less than 500 calories a day! I think I need to stop obsessing over the scale. I've been weighing every day. It's not good for my psyche. 🥺

Good luck to all the 10/31-ers tomorrow!

I had the gastric bypass and I still can't sleep on my left, either. So sad! :(

I've found that I am really sensitive to chemical tastes and smells. Perfumes make me itch.

If the scale is causing you distress, stay off of it for a while. I've heard to stay off of it for the first 5-6 weeks, because our bodies are changing so much.

I am soooo ready to start pureed tomorrow! I prepared some in advance. Crab rangoon (just the inside part), chicken enchilada (canned chicken, enchilada sauce, cheese, and refried beans), and the ricotta bake everyone talks about! 🤤 I let my husband try them and he said they were good! So hoping I feel the same way cause I made a lot. I have about 30 little 1/4 cups in my freezer right now. 😬 Also hoping I still like spicy food cause I miss it.

38 minutes ago, kiel_d-01 said:

I am soooo ready to start pureed tomorrow! I prepared some in advance. Crab rangoon (just the inside part), chicken enchilada (canned chicken, enchilada sauce, cheese, and refried beans), and the ricotta bake everyone talks about! 🤤 I let my husband try them and he said they were good! So hoping I feel the same way cause I made a lot. I have about 30 little 1/4 cups in my freezer right now. 😬 Also hoping I still like spicy food cause I miss it.

Please forward recipe for ricotta bake just started pureed today had a 1/4 cup of ricotta with sprinkle of cinnamon was wonderful but after did i feel it was uncomfortable but it subsided.

9 hours ago, kiel_d-01 said:

Congratulations! I can't wait. Thursday is my day! :)

I plan on making the ricotta bake, but I have to pre-taste the spaghetti sauce. I seem to be having an issue with either onion powder or garlic powder. One of them tastes very spicy to me, right now.

I had my surgery on Oct 20th and have had issues drinking the Protein shakes(gross). So basically I have had no protein since surgery so ate some steak tips today very slowly and my stomach seems to have handled it well. I know this is not ideal but I was so weak without any protein and felt sick. I feel much better now. Anyone else eat food earlier than they were scheduled to? Thanks.

On 10/28/2022 at 9:57 AM, DeeDeeMcG said:

I had my surgery today (10/31), and so far I’m feeling great. Almost no pain, the severe gas has leveled off. I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but if the rest of my recovery feels like this then I’ll be one happy camper. I hope all went well for the others in the 10/31 crew

Edited by SimpleIntellect

5 hours ago, Beantownposse said:

I had my surgery on Oct 20th and have had issues drinking the Protein shakes(gross). So basically I have had no Protein since surgery so ate some steak tips today very slowly and my stomach seems to have handled it well. I know this is not ideal but I was so weak without any protein and felt sick. I feel much better now. Anyone else eat food earlier than they were scheduled to? Thanks.

Try clear whey Protein Drinks. They are more like flavored water.

Protein is important or youll lose too much muscle mass.

Going to a general diet so early isn't good as you're still healing. I'm October 17th and just moved to purees. Your doctors orders aren't recommendations they're post operative care instructions to ensure you heal properly.

Try pureeing chicken or fish into Soups.

Beef is one of the last things they recommend you eating as it's fatty and harder to chew down to a good puree.

15 hours ago, kiel_d-01 said:

I just made chicken fajitas and bean puree!

Grilled a seasoned chicken breast,then pureed with Greek yogurt.

Made peppers and onion sauté then pureed, set aside.

Layered chicken and pepper/onion puree in baby food tupperware and topped with cheese when reheating.

Made seasoned black Beans with added collagen. Pureed with Greek yogurt. Into baby food containers and also topped with cheese at reheat.

All the flavors!! So nice to not have to drink my food anymore. The Greek yogurt helps with added Protein ad smoothness.

I thought it would be nice to bring the subject up of giving yourself time to heal after surgery. I've lost 10 kg since surgery on October 17th, just over 20lbs. But I noticed my clothes arent really fitting much different around my middle. So I measured.

I'm losing everywhere but my tummy is actually up a few cm. (about an inch) I figure this is because im still swollen and my muscles are inflamed from the laparoscopy. I have to remind myself , I am only two weeks out. Slow and steady wins the race.

I just want to share in case someone is feeling discouraged by similar experiences. it's totally normal! We just had a big surgery, even if we are feeling good. We arent healed yet.