Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June surgeries? Tell me your preparations

Posted (edited)

Hi!

I just scheduled surgery For june 13th.

I’m excited and nervous.

What are you doing to prepare?

I just cut out processed food and have stopped diet drinks but feel like I should be doing much more.

Edited by Songbyrd420

You could figure out how you are going to measure your fluids and get used to always having a water bottle or something with you and keeping track like you will need to for a while post surgery. Also, you can practice eating slower. Really chewing your food well and taking time between bites. Another thing, depending on your pre op diet, you may want to find a Protein Shake or two that you like. Don’t stock up on too many though because your tastes may change post surgery. Especially for sweet things.

1 hour ago, Songbyrd420 said:

Hi!

I just scheduled surgery For june 13th.

I’m excited and nervous.

What are you doing to prepare?

I just cut out processed food and have stopped diet drinks but feel like I should be doing much more.

Wow we are same day surgery buddies! My surgery is also June 13th.

Tbh I am a massive control freak so I am doing everything I can to control all aspects of the surgery. I am making a lot of list and watching "things I wish I knew before i had vsg surgery" videos.

My daughter's birthday is the day after and I scheduling deliveries thru out the day for her as I don't know exactly when I will be home (Dr's ofc promised if at all possible I would be going home on the 14th). She is getting a small delivery for each year...considering she is a teen ..ouch lol.

I am also setting up my FMLA/short term disability case for my job. I hope I don't need it but I want it in place just in case. I am planning to be out 1-3 weeks an now I know that all that time will be paid so I am not as freaked out about taking 3wks off if I need it.

My friends want to help me but I have a hard time asking for help/things. So my amazing teen gave me the great idea of doing an Amazon wish list..so I have been setting that up (I still feel like I am begging for stuff).

I am reading up on Protein Shakes and medications. Still haven't found the answer to will I gain weight when I have to go off the Phentermine/Topiramate combo, my weight loss Dr has me on, for the 2 weeks prior to surgery? But I keep looking.

I really can't imagine life after surgery so I pretty much am trying to do everything I can think to do to make whatever happens after i wake up from surgery as smooth as possible.

Sorry so long winded

Im so nervous that I’m going to go through this and it be for nothing!

Meaning, I’ve tried so many things (like eating correctly, tracking food, exercising for a year, lost 40lbs then gained back) that im scared itll not work or ill mess it up some how!

I believe ill do good because I’ll have the boost of surgery to help me once I start the exercising and tracking food again but just nervous.

Especially since it’s coming out of pocket. Hopefully that’ll be a great motivator too!

On 5/14/2022 at 5:33 PM, Tatt said:

Wow we are same day surgery buddies! My surgery is also June 13th.

Tbh I am a massive control freak so I am doing everything I can to control all aspects of the surgery. I am making a lot of list and watching "things I wish I knew before i had vsg surgery" videos.

My daughter's birthday is the day after and I scheduling deliveries thru out the day for her as I don't know exactly when I will be home (Dr's ofc promised if at all possible I would be going home on the 14th). She is getting a small delivery for each year...considering she is a teen ..ouch lol.

I am also setting up my FMLA/short term disability case for my job. I hope I don't need it but I want it in place just in case. I am planning to be out 1-3 weeks an now I know that all that time will be paid so I am not as freaked out about taking 3wks off if I need it.

My friends want to help me but I have a hard time asking for help/things. So my amazing teen gave me the great idea of doing an Amazon wish list..so I have been setting that up (I still feel like I am begging for stuff).

I am reading up on Protein Shakes and medications. Still haven't found the answer to will I gain weight when I have to go off the Phentermine/Topiramate combo, my weight loss Dr has me on, for the 2 weeks prior to surgery? But I keep looking.

I really can't imagine life after surgery so I pretty much am trying to do everything I can think to do to make whatever happens after i wake up from surgery as smooth as possible.

Sorry so long winded

It sounds like you’re ahead of the game!

I’m gonna call the nutritionist soon to gain some perspective