Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, tranquil_chaos said:

I'm a teacher too and I totally get what you are saying about it being more stressful to take more time off vs going into work!

I'm a teacher so I have to be there when school starts. I hope I get stronger every day, but if not I can have my teaching assistants do a fair amount of work for me for a couple weeks. I think I may have overestimated my recovery rate, but this was the earliest I could get the surgery done, so 2 weeks will have to do!

If I was feeling really poorly, I could just give them my doctor's note and take the whole four weeks off, and nobody could say a thing,

But, since I'm not doing that bad, and I'm asking for reduced in-person hours this year due to going to school as well as working full time, I stand a much better chance if I'm there from day one and showing the department head that I'm willing to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything ending in "itol" will send me straight to the bathroom. Those are sugar alcohols and have a laxative effect. Any other artificial sweeteners taste like metal to me but I can tolerate them if necessary. I won't eat Jello, though, as it's not vegetarian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 08/15/2022 at 19:57, AliceFD said:



Anything ending in "itol" will send me straight to the bathroom. Those are sugar alcohols and have a laxative effect. Any other artificial sweeteners taste like metal to me but I can tolerate them if necessary. I won't eat Jello, though, as it's not vegetarian.


I’ve only had Built Bars and the simply delish (in very limited amounts) and so far neither bothered me … but I imagine if I had enough of either it might bother me like aspartame and sucralose do.

I will probably end up skipping sugar free and waiting for the purée stage. I know those popsicles won’t upset my digestive system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SuziDavis said:

My date is similar, and I know that I am not going to be able to do pureed meats... so Protein Shakes it is. Luckily I found a company with some really different flavors.

So, why exactly will you be doing the puree stage for so long?

The hospital I went to has the general rule of a liquid diet for two weeks and one week pureed food. If that goes well, you can start eating regular food, but in small amounts. I wonder why it's so different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, karakent said:

Oh my goodness! November?! Ugh. I hope its not so far ahead for me. I have a wedding at the end of October. I want to at least be eating a little normally.

I have a wedding two weeks after my surgery! Hopefully I can bring my own blended Soup of some sort. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SuziDavis said:

My date is similar, and I know that I am not going to be able to do pureed meats... so Protein Shakes it is. Luckily I found a company with some really different flavors.

Right!! LOLLL pureed meats, reminds me of canned dog/cat food. Applesauce for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Sunnyer said:

So, why exactly will you be doing the puree stage for so long?

The hospital I went to has the general rule of a liquid diet for two weeks and one week pureed food. If that goes well, you can start eating regular food, but in small amounts. I wonder why it's so different.

It is different because of the types of surgery and because I am getting mine done at mayo most of it comes from research. I know I almost cried reading that "soft food stage/phase 3" is 6 weeks!

I am getting a revision done..maybe longer recovery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 08/15/2022 at 22:16, jenuinelygenuinely said:






It is different because of the types of surgery and because I am getting mine done at mayo most of it comes from research. I know I almost cried reading that "soft food stage/phase 3" is 6 weeks!




I am getting a revision done..maybe longer recovery?


What are you revising from? You may be right about the revision. I know my doctor told me that he would not do my lap-band removal and revision to sleeve in one operation because its more traumatic to the body. And had a greater percentage of some kind of complication or another. Including when healing. He said it can be done and many successfully do it, including himself when medically necessary, its just that he doesn’t like doing it. So I had to wait almost ten weeks in between.

I feel like revisions are the least spoken about of all these surgeries. We speak of each as if they are individual and never of what it means to put them together in one body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, karakent said:

What are you revising from? You may be right about the revision. I know my doctor told me that he would not do my lap-band removal and revision to sleeve in one operation because its more traumatic to the body. And had a greater percentage of some kind of complication or another. Including when healing. He said it can be done and many successfully do it, including himself when medically necessary, its just that he doesn’t like doing it. So I had to wait almost ten weeks in between.

I feel like revisions are the least spoken about of all these surgeries. We speak of each as if they are individual and never of what it means to put them together in one body.

The gastric sleeve, I remember the phases for that was short and the post-op education fell short. So happy I switched surgeons/hospital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 08/16/2022 at 09:38, jenuinelygenuinely said:






The gastric sleeve, I remember the phases for that was short and the post-op education fell short. So happy I switched surgeons/hospital.


Me too! I also switched surgeons/hospitals and I am so much happier with my decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Sunnyer said:

So, why exactly will you be doing the puree stage for so long?

The hospital I went to has the general rule of a liquid diet for two weeks and one week pureed food. If that goes well, you can start eating regular food, but in small amounts. I wonder why it's so different.

My doctor recommends it, I am doing what I was instructed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, jenuinelygenuinely said:

Right!! LOLLL pureed meats, reminds me of canned dog/cat food. Applesauce for me!

Yeah, I can't even think about eating that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Doodles603 said:

I’m here at the hospital. Surgery and recovery have been a breeze so far. Almost no surgical pain except for hunger pain!

Congrats! 😃. I hope it stays that way for you!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2022 at 4:23 PM, Sunnyer said:

I completely agree that I think the Protein Shakes I've tried so far have been pretty disgusting. I have been drinking chicken broth for the three days, and that goes down the best. Water on its own makes a bit nauseous at times. I'm having fantasies of greek yoghurt and oats that I will (hopefullyI be allowed to have next week.

I've never been so excited to have yogurt or pudding in my life!!! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • ludosummerl

      An online Ludo game is called Ludo Summer. Ludo Summer supports local multiplayer, internet multiplayer, and computer opponents. A record breaking casual game in the history of mobile gaming · Voice Chat, 6 Player Ludo, Quick Ludo mode, Tournaments, and many other exciting features!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Nonna1213

      Hi!  I am 7weeks post-op. Have lost a total 65lbs, 27 since surgery. Anyone else on my same timeline
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Giginc

      Just starting my journey...little nervous
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Joset

      My name is Jose and I am from the UK, I had a gastric bypass a month ago so I am at the beginning of my weight loss journey.
      I would like to know how many calories I should be eating a day to stay healthy, thank you for your time
      · 1 reply
      1. summerseeker

        Hello Joset, why haven't you been given a diet plan? Did you have your surgery in the UK? Every surgeon has a different diet, and no two people are on the same one. Weird I know. Contact your team if you can

        Mine was two weeks clear liquids

        Two weeks on soups, milk shakes and broths all with out lumps

        two weeks on pureed foods { I couldn't stomach this step }

        two weeks on soft foods like Protein yogurt, stewed mince and veg, soft scrambled eggs. Pate on hard crackers

        Then onto any food I fancied. If you struggle on any step or with any foods go back a step for a few days. Eggs, salmon and chicken are hard for beginners.

        Sorry I missed your original post, hope you are still on here.

    • SpartanMaker

      Today is the day!  Have to be at the hospital in a couple of hours.  So ready get this done!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×