Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August surgery buddies!

On 08/15/2022 at 04:46, #spicydisaster said:

Aug 11th here. I honestly don't even know how to feel right now. I finally got past the nausea and was able to get my fluids in yesterday, so I guess that is my first NSV. I'm not hungry at all though. So trying to get my Protein in today may be a challenge. I also had my gallbladder taken out. So my pain on the right side is something else at times.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I bought one of those Protein laden broths from a Bariatric company. They aren’t bad and since they would something warm you might not mind having that. It has 20gms of protein. I hope you start feeling better soon!

On 08/14/2022 at 20:49, callnutt said:

I bought some SF popsicles today and it totally felt like heaven 😂

Yaassss!!! Lol. These popsicles are seriously saving lives out here! 🤣😂

Half way through the month! Good luck to everyone coming up this week and I hope those who have gone before are having a good recovery!

Anyone who already had it already back at work? This has been my biggest worry.
Yes! I had mine on Monday, Aug 8th and I was back working remotely from home by Friday. By 3pm I was really tired, but I feel like I have much more energy this week.

On 08/15/2022 at 12:32, heartofmercury said:

Yes! I had mine on Monday, Aug 8th and I was back working remotely from home by Friday. By 3pm I was really tired, but I feel like I have much more energy this week.

Thats great to see! How’s your mobility? Have you been able to drive? (If you drive) I have to drive to get to work.

36 minutes ago, karakent said:

Half way through the month! Good luck to everyone coming up this week and I hope those who have gone before are having a good recovery!

I started back to work late last week. I was getting really stir crazy. I actually feel great and am just ready to settle into my new routine. My energy has been up by the end of the day which I was really worried about. I even got some extra steps in last night on the tredmill. Everyone is different in their recovery!

22 minutes ago, karakent said:

Thats great to see! How’s your mobility? Have you been able to drive? (If you drive) I have to drive to get to work.

I've been able to drive just fine personally. I also never took any of the pain medication though so that has played a huge factor.

I'm getting around really well. Last week I walked a mile every morning with small breaks to stop and rest.

I was prescribed gabapentin. The one day I took it, I did not feel safe to drive. Except for that I could totally drive now one week post-op!

14 hours ago, jenuinelygenuinely said:

August buddies!!! So I had a ZOOM - group education appointment about our post-op diet and I am crying inside that I won't be able to eat regular food until November!

Yeah, I'm not going to be released until late October for regular foods. More time to heal :) Can do lots with soft and pureed foods though!

5 minutes ago, heartofmercury said:

I'm getting around really well. Last week I walked a mile every morning with small breaks to stop and rest.

I was prescribed gabapentin. The one day I took it, I did not feel safe to drive. Except for that I could totally drive now one week post-op!

Gambapentin will mess you up! I was prescribed it for help treating a nerve injury, and it completely ruined me to be able to drive. I was so glad to get off that stuff! So great to hear you are feeling so much better and doing all that walking! Congratulations!!!

1 hour ago, heartofmercury said:

I told my boss, there may be some days when I need to have an extra little nap in the afternoons. They've been super about the time flexibility, so I can work in the mornings when I do have extra energy too.

1 hour ago, karakent said:

I go back to work next Monday and I'm scared!!! My surgeon wanted me off work until Sept 12th and OMG would that have been amazing! Mostly I'm worried about the fatigue. I am almost 1-week post op and I'm pretty much exhausted all the time. I had my post-op checkup today and by the time I got home I was dragging and needed a nap.

I've got my bag packed, I've paid the hospital bill. All I've gotta do is drive to Spokane (6 hours away) and get checked in on the 18th. I finally found peace with the pre-op liquid diet, but I am seriously looking forward to full liquids once the surgery is over! We're starting at a gorgeous little Air BnB during the surgery stay and a couple days after before making the long drive home. Anyone else have to travel far for their surgery and appointments?

1 hour ago, heartofmercury said:

I had my surgery on the 9th, and I went back to work today.

My doctor recommended that I take at least two weeks off, and I have a doctor's note for four weeks, but I'm a teacher and this week is the only time we have to prepare before school starts next week. So I went today (at 9, thankfully not at eight) and I ended up staying until 3:45 or the same as everyone else.

I was a bit nauseous after lunch (very thin oatmeal) and I had to stand up sometimes during our meetings because I was uncomfortable, plus I was pretty tired when I came home, but in all I'm doing much better than I anticipated. Sure, it would have been nice to have another week to heal, but it would be more stressful for me in the long run to turn up next week unprepared.

7 minutes ago, tranquil_chaos said:

I go back to work next Monday and I'm scared!!! My surgeon wanted me off work until Sept 12th and OMG would that have been amazing! Mostly I'm worried about the fatigue. I am almost 1-week post op and I'm pretty much exhausted all the time. I had my post-op checkup today and by the time I got home I was dragging and needed a nap.

Most likely you will feel better and get stronger every day. I was winded after just getting dressed last week, and I'm still a bit winded going up the stairs today, but I'm still heaps better than I was two days ago. So, you may well be perfectly up to going to work in a week's time. If not, is there no way you can get more time off?

I told my boss, there may be some days when I need to have an extra little nap in the afternoons. They've been super about the time flexibility, so I can work in the mornings when I do have extra energy too.
That sounds like the perfect setup! I do start to fade by the afternoon.