Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you ever drink soda again after surgery

My surgeon is an absolute no on carbonation. I am a HUGE diet soda drinker. I am just starting the process but I have had to give it up. Funny thing is, I don’t miss it anymore. And I find I am not as bloated feeling and sleep better. So it’s worth it for me to stop and never start again.

On 4/23/2022 at 12:32 AM, Tufflaw said:

I'm on vacation in Virginia and found a brand called Milo's that makes Sweet Tea which of course I can't/won't drink, but they have a Zero calorie version which I got and it's delicious, I already found a store near me that sells it so I'm going to start adding it to my shopping list.

I tried editing my original comment but couldn't figure out how so updating here in case it's helpful - the store that supposedly had the zero calorie sweet tea did NOT have it and had never heard of it. So the closest I could find was Crystal Light Sweet Tea packets at Walmart which I bought and holy cow it's even more delicious than Milo's! So that's an option for people looking for something sweet that isn't bad for you.

13 hours ago, Tufflaw said:

I tried editing my original comment but couldn't figure out how so updating here in case it's helpful - the store that supposedly had the zero calorie sweet tea did NOT have it and had never heard of it. So the closest I could find was Crystal Light Sweet Tea packets at Walmart which I bought and holy cow it's even more delicious than Milo's! So that's an option for people looking for something sweet that isn't bad for you.

Milo's is pretty good (I buy it at Walmart).

The latest drink I love to make is to take a Vitamin Water Zero lemonade and add a packet of Wyler's Light Peach Iced Tea. The drink is 5 calories, zero sodium, has a bunch of vitamins/minerals from the Vitamin Water, and tastes like an Arnold Palmer.

My team said medically I can but they strongly advise against it. This is because there is a correlation between soda and weight gain (even diet soda). It hasn’t been explained yet but the correlation still exists and shows up study after study.

21 hours ago, Tufflaw said:

I just tried the Milos Zero tea its pretty good. Usually I cant stand the sickening sweet tea taste of most brands. Alot of times I had to dilute it with Water. This one was fine just out of the bottle

6 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

My team said medically I can but they strongly advise against it. This is because there is a correlation between soda and weight gain (even diet soda). It hasn’t been explained yet but the correlation still exists and shows up study after study.

I read an article that, simply put, explained weight gain from consuming artificial sweeteners occurred because the body tastes sweet & so expects there to be sweet it can use for energy. (Our body does need some glucose to function.) But because there isn’t any glucose, your body thinks something is wrong & will store calories you consume as future energy i.e. as fat. Does make sense as your body will go into starvation mode & store as many calories as it can in times when food intake is low. It’s why many find their weight loss eventually stops on ultra low calorie diets. And of course artificial sweeteners do absolutely nothing to modify/eradicate your cravings for sweet things. Plus there’s a lot of the studies about the negative impact of them on gut health & your immune system. It’s hard to get sweeteners completely out of your diet as they’re in so many things but at least reducing the amount you’re consuming can only be a good thing.

Edited by Arabesque

50 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

I read an article that, simply put, explained weight gain from consuming artificial sweeteners occurred because the body tastes sweet & so expects there to be sweet it can use for energy. (Our body does need some glucose to function.) But because there isn’t any glucose, your body thinks something is wrong & will store calories you consume as future energy i.e. as fat. Does make sense as your body will go into starvation mode & store as many calories as it can in times when food intake is low. It’s why many find their weight loss eventually stops on ultra low calorie diets. And of course artificial sweeteners do absolutely nothing to modify/eradicate your cravings for sweet things. Plus there’s a lot of the studies about the negative impact of them on gut health & your immune system. It’s hard to get sweeteners completely out of your diet as they’re in so many things but at least reducing the amount you’re consuming can only be a good thing.

That makes a lot of sense.

On 4/25/2022 at 10:31 PM, Tufflaw said:

Gold Peak Tea makes a Zero Calorie sweet tea that is great. I find it at the grocery store.

I was told that you should never drink soda or anything carbonated nor chew gum because it puts gas in your belly and causes it to expand therefore you can eat more food then weight gain continues… I’ve had sips here and there and can certainly feel the difference within myself…I was sleeved 5 yrs ago and gained a little but am back on track and back down the 15lbs I put back on…

Edited by ardmcarver

On 4/21/2022 at 9:54 PM, Kris77 said:

I gave up diet cokes four years prior to my sleeve but my surgeon is no on carbonation too. I’m almost four years out so I’m like almost 8 years out from cokes!
But no Coors Light or Sparking Water for me.
I also don’t do straws. That is of debate among some based on surgeons recommendation. My surgeon is no straws too so I stick with that. I don’t miss carbonation or straws.
Like everyone here has said each surgeon has their set of rules of dos and donts. I was of the mind set of what ever his plan is for me I’m doing it. So this is his and I’m doing it. Works for me.

I've heard carbonation is bad post-surgery because it can stretch the stomach and we're trying to avoid that. Why "no straws"? I've never heard that before.

4 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

Gold Peak Tea makes a Zero Calorie sweet tea that is great. I find it at the grocery store.

Great tip! Congratulations on being so close to your goal weight!

22 minutes ago, hollywrites2u said:

Great tip! Congratulations on being so close to your goal weight!

Thanks!

On 04/27/2022 at 13:55, hollywrites2u said:

I've heard carbonation is bad post-surgery because it can stretch the stomach and we're trying to avoid that. Why "no straws"? I've never heard that before.

In my opinion this is why if I remember correctly….I believe It’s bc drinking through a straw puts air in your stomach and also you prob can drink ALOT faster. Suppose to be slow small sips.

I don’t because I read it can stretch your pouch out. I’m not risking it. To each their own lol

8 hours ago, hollywrites2u said:

Why "no straws"? I've never heard that before.

I used straws for a little while. Wasn’t ever told not to use them. I sort of found them useful at work. Even sipped Soup from my thermos through them. (We still had plastic straws then though. Wouldn’t want to try it with paper straws 😁.) I found it easier to do little sips with them & because I didn’t do big slurps I had little risk of sucking in too much air or taking large swallows. Never could understand why many are told not to use straws but they’re not told not to use Water bottles like camel back. You have to suck through them. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Personally I find drinking from a glass or cup the easiest & I tend to drink more frequently with them too.