Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello this is my first post. I wanted to try to get a better understanding as to what is possibly going on. I had my gastric sleeve surgery on the 24th Jan of this year the first 5 weeks i lost a lot of weight fast, 20kg. Now i'm at a stand still the past 2 weeks i'm bobbing up and down 1/2 kg. i'm now down to 146 kg. I have no access to a dietitian until 16th May so i can't ask whats going on. I was at my local GP on Friday to get a blood test ordered as i have anemia on and off since surgery i felt like rubbish no energy, tired all the time and it's an effort to get out the front door. I'm suppose to be making all these fantastic changes exercising and honestly i just don't have the energy for it i do try to get out every day for a walk thats a force. I'd apprechiate any insight, thoughts or ideas all are welcome.

as long as you're sticking to your clinic's plan, it's just a stall. Most of us have our first major stall within the first 3-6 weeks after surgery - yours is a little later than that, but I'm sure that's what's going on. You'll likely hit several of these throughout your journey. It's annoying, but it's all part of weight loss (at least for many of us)

when you hit these, just stay off your scale (maybe just weighing once a week) and make sure you're following your plan to a "T". They usually last about 1-3 weeks before breaking - and then you'll be on your way again.

48 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

as long as you're sticking to your clinic's plan, it's just a stall. Most of us have our first major stall within the first 3-6 weeks after surgery - yours is a little later than that, but I'm sure that's what's going on. You'll likely hit several of these throughout your journey. It's annoying, but it's all part of weight loss (at least for many of us)

when you hit these, just stay off your scale (maybe just weighing once a week) and make sure you're following your plan to a "T". They usually last about 1-3 weeks before breaking - and then you'll be on your way again.

Thanks for the reply.. I'm trying my best to follow what i've been told.. 3 meals 3 Snacks and i'm getting my Protein in taking all my supplimets.

They’re very common & you’ll likely have a couple of them while you’re losing. Think of them as your body needing a break because of all the changes - diet, weight loss, etc. just stick to your plan & you should be fine. If it persist fir longer than a month, give your dietician a call. You may a tweak to your plan or activity.

The anaemia is the likely cause of the tiredness but periods of low energy aren’t uncommon either. I remember one day I thought I was going to fall off my treadmill I was so tired. I added an electrolyte drink to my Fluid rotation. (I drank diluted hydralyte.) The little boost of energy was a blessing. But if your body says I’m tired, have a break. Even stopping for a cup of tea while out doing chores would be enough for me to then finish doing everything I needed to get done.

9 hours ago, Arabesque said:

They’re very common & you’ll likely have a couple of them while you’re losing. Think of them as your body needing a break because of all the changes - diet, weight loss, etc. just stick to your plan & you should be fine. If it persist fir longer than a month, give your dietician a call. You may a tweak to your plan or activity.

The anaemia is the likely cause of the tiredness but periods of low energy aren’t uncommon either. I remember one day I thought I was going to fall off my treadmill I was so tired. I added an electrolyte drink to my Fluid rotation. (I drank diluted hydralyte.) The little boost of energy was a blessing. But if your body says I’m tired, have a break. Even stopping for a cup of tea while out doing chores would be enough for me to then finish doing everything I needed to get done.

thanks for the reply, i gusssed it was something to do with my body wanting a break. I honestly didn't expect to plateau this early but i see others having this even earlier. I actually do take electrolyte drinks already. Hopefully i'll be back on my way very soon!

Hallo, luek je te ontmoeten. Yes as the others said its a stall. Very frustrating. I felt very weak for the first 2 to 3 months. I put it down to my age and extreme nausea. Once I got my calories in the 800- 1000 a day range and sorted my Vitamins, things improved hugely. I can now clean the house without problems and have started walking. It will get better. Good luck

I agree it’s probably just a typical stall. Your lucky because most have them around three weeks out. Im sure the anemia is depleting your energy as you said. Hopefully adding a supplement will fix that fairly quick. Just keep sticking to your clinics plan and your loss will start again.

1 hour ago, summerseeker said:

Hallo, luek je te ontmoeten. Yes as the others said its a stall. Very frustrating. I felt very weak for the first 2 to 3 months. I put it down to my age and extreme nausea. Once I got my calories in the 800- 1000 a day range and sorted my Vitamins, things improved hugely. I can now clean the house without problems and have started walking. It will get better. Good luck

How long did you have the nausea? I am about 10 weeks post-op, still on two nausea meds, queasy most of the time. I'm 68....

On 3/21/2022 at 2:41 PM, oldandtired said:

How long did you have the nausea? I am about 10 weeks post-op, still on two nausea meds, queasy most of the time. I'm 68....

About 6 -8 weeks. I still take the nausea meds every day.

On 3/20/2022 at 3:40 PM, Rachael101 said:

Hello this is my first post. I wanted to try to get a better understanding as to what is possibly going on. I had my gastric sleeve surgery on the 24th Jan of this year the first 5 weeks i lost a lot of weight fast, 20kg. Now i'm at a stand still the past 2 weeks i'm bobbing up and down 1/2 kg. i'm now down to 146 kg. I have no access to a dietitian until 16th May so i can't ask whats going on. I was at my local GP on Friday to get a blood test ordered as i have anemia on and off since surgery i felt like rubbish no energy, tired all the time and it's an effort to get out the front door. I'm suppose to be making all these fantastic changes exercising and honestly i just don't have the energy for it i do try to get out every day for a walk thats a force. I'd apprechiate any insight, thoughts or ideas all are welcome.

Does your surgeon prescribe B12 injections? I'm pre op for revision right now but with my program I'll have one every month for the first twelve months in an effort to prevent anemia. Maybe your bariatric Vitamins don't contain enough Iron for you.

So I want to know, am I going to have to take the nausea meds the rest of my life??

On 3/22/2022 at 12:41 AM, oldandtired said:

I haven’t heard of anyone needing anti nausea meds long term. Though I experienced minor nausea I didn’t need to take meds at all. It maybe just your digestive system still being a little sensitive at first. A lot of Vitamins can cause people to experience nausea & Iron is one of the culprits. My nausea came from the multi Vitamin I took so I split the dose - one in the morning & one at night. Sometimes changing brands can help. Also check to see if you’re doubling up on them by taking a multi vitamin & additional Calcium or iron, etc.

14 hours ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

Does your surgeon prescribe B12 injections? I'm pre op for revision right now but with my program I'll have one every month for the first twelve months in an effort to prevent anemia. Maybe your bariatric Vitamins don't contain enough Iron for you.

Not that i know of... My gp didnt mention it to me either

Just an update.. i'm starting to feel better and the plateau broke..i'm 8 pounds down since the post.

I take 10ml of Floradix one hour before I eat in the morning and the last thing before I brush my teeth for bed at night. With a 2 hour min window around Calcium. Floradix is a natural liquid supplement. Available on Amazon. Read the reviews, I’m not alone.

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

14 hours ago, LilaNicole20 said:

I take 10ml of Floradix one hour before I eat in the morning and the last thing before I brush my teeth for bed at night. With a 2 hour min window around Calcium. Floradix is a natural liquid supplement. Available on Amazon. Read the reviews, I’m not alone.

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

Thanks, i'll try it.