Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2022 surgery?

42 minutes ago, Nelly 06 said:

Good luck to all of you. I had my bariatric sleeve on March 10 and let me tell you all, best decision I ever made. I already lost 26 pounds. I was 215, my advise to all of you will be 3 or 4 hours after the surgery get out of the bed and walk. Walk as much as you can, so all the gases come out.

Oh wow congratulations👏😊 it's so good to hear positive reviews as it gives me so much more motivation and confidence! thank you so much🙏 and best of luck in your journey👍😊❤️

Thank you for this great advice! And congratulations on your success; so encouraging for the rest of us!

Hello everyone! So I’m 5 weeks out and have been told to start doing low carb before the 2 weeks of all liquids. Can I have low carb tortillas and bread?

I guess each doctor is different, I’m on my week 4 and I’m not allow to eat tortillas. Only crackers. I do eat Protein ( chicken, turkey, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) all veggies overcook so it can be easier to chew. I seen many people eating beef and pork. With my Doctor I’m not allow to eat beef and pork in 6 months after the surgery. I did bought whole grain tortillas but I’m not going to eat them. I hear the first 3 months are the months you will lose the most weight so I want to take advantage of that and make my surgery and money worth every sacrifice.

Thank you! I’m sorry - I’m 5 weeks before surgery and wondering if I can have low carb tortillas and bread…completely agree it’ll be a no-go after. 👍

I’m not a doctor but if you are 5 weeks before the surgery, just have your tortilla because after the surgery you won’t be able to eat much, also your taste buds will change.

I never got to have a long time before my approval. I started the process on Feb 28th, everything was submitted to my insurance company on March 30th and my insurance company faxed my approval letter to my surgeon on April 1st. And the same day they called me and set my surgery for May 3rd. I was kind of eating what I wanted but now I have to start watching what I eat and changing my habits because a week before my surgery I have to do the all liquid diet. So I want to try and drop a few pounds before the liquid diet, which I know will cause me to lose a few pounds, as well. My doctor didn't give me a specific amount of weight to lose. He just said "try to lose whatever you can before surgery, to make your recovery easier" so, that's what I'm going to do....starting tomorrow (Monday).

2 hours ago, Nelly 06 said:

I’m not a doctor but if you are 5 weeks before the surgery, just have your tortilla because after the surgery you won’t be able to eat much, also your taste buds will change.

Hi Nelly I'm due on the 27th of April I noticed you said our taste buds will change I've never heard that one before can you tell me a bit more about that what actually happens😳

2 hours ago, SleeveDiva22 said:

I never got to have a long time before my approval. I started the process on Feb 28th, everything was submitted to my insurance company on March 30th and my insurance company faxed my approval letter to my surgeon on April 1st. And the same day they called me and set my surgery for May 3rd. I was kind of eating what I wanted but now I have to start watching what I eat and changing my habits because a week before my surgery I have to do the all liquid diet. So I want to try and drop a few pounds before the liquid diet, which I know will cause me to lose a few pounds, as well. My doctor didn't give me a specific amount of weight to lose. He just said "try to lose whatever you can before surgery, to make your recovery easier" so, that's what I'm going to do....starting tomorrow (Monday).

Wow that is quick! Ive been going to my weight management office since Oct 28th, 21 (my first visit). Ive had to do a series of "workshops" and bloodwork before moving into the next phase.....which was cardiac dr to release me for surgery then more bloodwork then off to do the EGD (Feb 9th). My March visit was to be turned into insurance for approval but the office dropped the ball and that didnt happen. So now my April appt I was told it would be sent (again?) for insurance approval with a tentative surgery date sometime in May is what I was told. I'm only going to wait a week or two and ask if its been sent yet because it wasnt done in March :(. Glad to hear yours was more flawless and quicker. In my program we must show we will not gain weight before we get approved for surgery. I have been able to stay below my start weight on my first visit but Ive not lost much either. So Im constantly a work in progress. Others lose quite a bit up till surgery and others like myself squeak by. I have mobility issues because of my knee issues.

2 hours ago, Crisscat said:

Wow that is quick! Ive been going to my weight management office since Oct 28th, 21 (my first visit). Ive had to do a series of "workshops" and bloodwork before moving into the next phase.....which was cardiac dr to release me for surgery then more bloodwork then off to do the EGD (Feb 9th). My March visit was to be turned into insurance for approval but the office dropped the ball and that didnt happen. So now my April appt I was told it would be sent (again?) for insurance approval with a tentative surgery date sometime in May is what I was told. I'm only going to wait a week or two and ask if its been sent yet because it wasnt done in March :(. Glad to hear yours was more flawless and quicker. In my program we must show we will not gain weight before we get approved for surgery. I have been able to stay below my start weight on my first visit but Ive not lost much either. So Im constantly a work in progress. Others lose quite a bit up till surgery and others like myself squeak by. I have mobility issues because of my knee issues.

Just reading your comments, I've had to wait 5 years in the public system then covid hit! That added another 2 years on top of the 5! so eventually I gave up! I wasn't even thinking about it anymore and was just over it, till March 24th they called me asking if I would be ready for the surgery in two weeks April 7th 😳and I said NO! (That was too much of a short notice,) wasn't ready for that I needed at least a month for preparations lol I was happy to hear that they had a vacancy for the 27th of April lol so I accepted that one, I've done all my blood tests seminars and everything else I was asked to do I'm very low on Iron its down to 10 where it should be 45 so im told I will be getting an iron infusion on the 14th otherwise I won't be fit enough to go in to theatre, but none the less I weighed at 109kg back in December and today I weigh at 99kg I'm really trying to lose as much as I can on my own by cutting down on carbs and sugar and resisting my usual Temptations just so I have a quicker recovery I'm on the shakes diet atm I've just done a whole lot of meal preps with lots of low starch vegetables that are on my "allowed to eat list" steamed and chopped chucked it in the deepfreeze! and loads of salad so they will be a companying my Optifast shakes before and after the surgery I realised my downfalls and mistakes were NOT doing meal preps ahead of time as I would just grab whatever was in the fridge when I was feeling peckish, I really want this to work as I've waited so long for this surgery, the only thing thats really stuck on my mind is that we have to take Multivitamins for the rest of our lives 😳Other than that I'm ready for this journey and a whole new life style that will change my life for the better!👍🤞

Edited by Merill

3 hours ago, Crisscat said:

I had already been doing weight loss diets under my doctor's supervision (I never really intended to get wls, I did Keto and thought that would work wonders for me) so when I did everything I could and still didn't have any long term success, my doctor actually suggested surgery. I have BCBS of Illinois so I called them to find out if I have coverage for it and they said yes, so I found a doctor in my network and had my 1st appt on Feb 28th. I had to watch a 4 part video and do a quiz for each part, I had to get lots of bloodwork done, and ecg because the anesthesiologist required it, had to get a clearance letter from my neurologist (I have MS) and my primary doctor. I got those really fast because both were completely on board. I was able to get all of that done really quickly, and honestly I thought the biggest hurdle was going to be my insurance. Everyone was STUNNED that I got my approval, and they got the approval letter, in 48 hours. Nobody expected that at all.

2 hours ago, BellaDGR8 said:

Hi Everyone! My surgery is scheduled for May 6th...more nervous than excited but ready to embark on this journey. Good luck to you all!

Hi!!! Mine is May 3rd. I'm surprised I'm not nervous lol I should be, but more excited than anything. I can't wait to start the next chapter of my life and get healthy again. I wasn't always heavy like I am now. I'm ready to get back to ME, you know?