Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2022 surgery?

15 hours ago, Oomamacita said:

may 17,2022!!
my start weight was originally 250, the with pre op diet i was 238, now at post op of one month 214.
i haven't lost weight in over a week!!! :(
any advice?

Are you constipated? How long has it been since you had a bowel movement? If it’s been enough that you can’t even remember, you probably are. Call your doctor, and tell them that you’re constipated.
Some on this forum are saying that a 3 week stall is normal. I don’t think that’s correct. I don’t recall getting constipated with the original surgery.

2 minutes ago, Victoria **** said:

Are you constipated? How long has it been since you had a bowel movement? If it’s been enough that you can’t even remember, you probably are. Call your doctor, and tell them that you’re constipated.
Some on this forum are saying that a 3 week stall is normal. I don’t think that’s correct. I don’t recall getting constipated with the original surgery.

I stalled for two weeks! Zero weight loss during my second AND third weeks post-op. It's normal and common. Weight loss for me resumed when I started pureed foods on week 4.

I'm not sure what a stall and being constipated have in common. Could you connect the dots for me?

24 minutes ago, Raw188 said:

I'm not sure what a stall and being constipated have in common. Could you connect the dots for me?

Yes. In my 3rd to 4th week, my weight loss stalled. I was consuming the same things I was when my weight loss was steady. Last week I realized that I had not had a bowel movement in a while. I tried taking Colace and Senna, and it felt like there was stool on the way. When I tried to expel it, it got stuck. I tried to get it out manually, but it didn’t work. After an afternoon and evening in the ER, I was sent home with prescriptions for Miralax and Lactulose. For several days I used a gloved finger to get the big, hard chunks out when I pushed and it got stuck. When I weighed myself on Monday, I had lost 6 pounds. Six pounds of poop. Since then, my weight loss is back on track. I hope that helps.

Some here say that a 3rd week stall is normal. Maybe for some. I only know my stall ended when I got rid of all that stuff in me.

1 hour ago, Victoria **** said:

Yes. In my 3rd to 4th week, my weight loss stalled. I was consuming the same things I was when my weight loss was steady. Last week I realized that I had not had a bowel movement in a while. I tried taking Colace and Senna, and it felt like there was stool on the way. When I tried to expel it, it got stuck. I tried to get it out manually, but it didn’t work. After an afternoon and evening in the ER, I was sent home with prescriptions for Miralax and Lactulose. For several days I used a gloved finger to get the big, hard chunks out when I pushed and it got stuck. When I weighed myself on Monday, I had lost 6 pounds. Six pounds of poop. Since then, my weight loss is back on track. I hope that helps.

Some here say that a 3rd week stall is normal. Maybe for some. I only know my stall ended when I got rid of all that stuff in me.

That's interesting.

Every body is different, so I'm not saying that you didn't have a stall, but rather Constipation, but the stall is a medically known and explained phenomenon.

This video explains it.

Thank you! That does explain why people experience the stall without being constipated. It may have been a concurrent phenomenon, but all I know is that as soon as I got all that stuff out of me, my weight started dropping again and is continuing to. I also wish my surgeon had warned me. I’m going to ask if she agrees with the concept of the early stall.

I am very happy that you were able to get all that out of you. Sounds terrible.

I’m 6 weeks out and I’m having a really hard time. I had my follow up a couple days ago and the doctor told me I’m basically starving myself and not eating enough. I’m always nauseous and I have a really hard time wanting to eat. I’m not losing as much as I should be because I’m not eating enough. I never thought this would be my issue. Any advise?

I had this problem at one time. The first key is fluids. I found Water with flavor was the best. Get hydrated first. You might need something with electrolytes in it. A good one is pedi light they have it for adults as well. It's close to 2.50 a bottle. You are only going to use it when you are really low on fluids it has glucose in it ( its normallyin any drug store, Walmart ect close to the over counter nausea medication). Another one I really like is "liquid IV". It's normally in the section with the flavors powders are in walmart or Amazon.

I found I need the Fluid on my stomach the first thing in the morning before I can tolerate Protein. I drink about 4 oz but it will depend on you. I do not do Protein Shakes that are ready made. I found they make nausea. I use unflavored Protein Powder I put in water or hot tea or anything to get my protein. If my tea is not sweet enough then I add stevia .

After I got enough fluids and my nausea got better then I could drink protein powder that had flavor. I had to add more water than it called for. I like hot coco with protein in 12 ozs of water instead of 8.

Yes you need to wait 30mins after drinking to eat and 30 mins after eating . But you need to be well hydrated. Look at your urine and how often you urinate.

I drink the 4 oz then I have the 12 oz with protein and water first thing in the morning. After the protein drinkni make I drink another 4 ozs. This gets me on my way for the day very hydrated since I did not drink anything for at least 8 hrs while I slept.

Then I would eat cream of wheat, yogurt or water down oatmeal. Then sipping afterwards. lunch I would eat a turkey sausage links or cottage cheese or two meat balls with sauce. Or baked fish chopped up. Now I have been adding soft veggies or Beans for a snack.

Sip between meals, wait at least 30 mins after eating. Eat only 2 or 3 oz of food at a time. Take small bits I used "diet tools" from amazon. Their spoon is the right size for a bit. Take 30 mins to eat. Bit wait a few minutes then bit again.

It will get better. Listen to your body , we all are different. The fluid in the morning was the game changer for me. Plus using the Baritastic app to track everything and get my calories between 600 to 800 daily.

11 minutes ago, Lee anne said:

I had this problem at one time. The first key is fluids. I found Water with flavor was the best. Get hydrated first. You might need something with electrolytes in it. A good one is pedi light they have it for adults as well. It's close to 2.50 a bottle. You are only going to use it when you are really low on fluids it has glucose in it ( its normallyin any drug store, Walmart ect close to the over counter nausea medication). Another one I really like is "liquid IV". It's normally in the section with the flavors powders are in Walmart or Amazon.

I found I need the Fluid on my stomach the first thing in the morning before I can tolerate Protein. I drink about 4 oz but it will depend on you. I do not do Protein Shakes that are ready made. I found they make nausea. I use unflavored Protein Powder I put in Water or hot tea or anything to get my Protein. If my tea is not sweet enough then I add stevia .

After I got enough fluids and my nausea got better then I could drink protein powder that had flavor. I had to add more water than it called for. I like hot coco with protein in 12 ozs of water instead of 8.

Yes you need to wait 30mins after drinking to eat and 30 mins after eating . But you need to be well hydrated. Look at your urine and how often you urinate.

I drink the 4 oz then I have the 12 oz with protein and water first thing in the morning. After the protein drinkni make I drink another 4 ozs. This gets me on my way for the day very hydrated since I did not drink anything for at least 8 hrs while I slept.

Then I would eat cream of wheat, yogurt or water down oatmeal. Then sipping afterwards. lunch I would eat a turkey sausage links or cottage cheese or two meat balls with sauce. Or baked fish chopped up. Now I have been adding soft veggies or Beans for a snack.

Sip between meals, wait at least 30 mins after eating. Eat only 2 or 3 oz of food at a time. Take small bits I used "diet tools" from Amazon. Their spoon is the right size for a bit. Take 30 mins to eat. Bit wait a few minutes then bit again.

It will get better. Listen to your body , we all are different. The Fluid in the morning was the game changer for me. Plus using the Baritastic app to track everything and get my calories between 600 to 800 daily.

Morning fluid a game changer for me as well. I love your protocol. If I get up in the middle of the night, I will have a sugar free popsicle. I sleep with a SWELL bottle on my nightstand with some kind of crystal lite flavored water in it. I will sip before I even get out of bed.

1 hour ago, Mariann812 said:

Morning Fluid a game changer for me as well. I love your protocol. If I get up in the middle of the night, I will have a sugar free popsicle. I sleep with a SWELL bottle on my nightstand with some kind of crystal lite flavored water in it. I will sip before I even get out of bed.

Thanks so much for this informative post. Drinking Water first thing in the morning does make a difference. I do not drink flavored water - never have, but I drink water with electrolytes such as Propel. I am in the habit of checking my urine, as this is usually the first sign that your body is dehydrated. As soon as I notice it's not as clear as it should be, I up my water intake.