Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2022 Surgery Buddies

1 hour ago, tristynftw said:

OMG! I have the same surgery date scheduled for blossom! Maybe I will see you there!

Definitely! I am getting everything ready to go. I am older (52) and have two boys staying home. I think planning for them being home is more anxiety provoking than the surgery at this point. LOL

I cannot find a Protein Shake that I like. Previously I was on the Jenny Craig diet and I loved their vanilla shakes. But they only have 12 g of Protein. I think I read somebody added flavored Syrup to Protein Powder and Water and that helped. anybody?

4 hours ago, Flab-U-Less Forever said:

Every day is better and I am finally able to sleep on my side in my normal position. I am only taking pain meds to go to sleep and Tylenol the remainder of the day. NO regrets on my part just surprised at the length of recovery time after reading many stories on here. I feel the hard part is behind me. Hope everyone else is doing well!!!

So glad to hear good news from my surgical twin. Yeah, sleeping in my own bed in my natural position is the highlight of surgical recovery for me so far.

I had my one-week clinic checkup today, and the news was almost all good. Unfortunately, I can't get my drain removed yet -- still draining too much Fluid to take it out. Maybe Monday on that; we'll see.

Another highlight: pureed diet starts on Sunday, and I'll finally have some food (albeit mushy). Really looking forward to it, especially ricotta bake. I'm very much a cheese lover.

I am having pretty significant pain at my collar bone that is preventing me from taking normal deep breaths. Has anyone else experienced this? I also have pain when walking in my left lower quadrant but there is no incision there so I'm confused by what could be causing that pain.

Mine was gas. Nothing but walking and waiting made it go away. However, I have read that if it is constant sting pain with other symptoms, it could be a leak. I would keep checking in with your doc.

Gas can be felt anywhere in stomach and chest area. Can be sharp pains. Many times does go to the shoulder. Will move and get better with walking.

6 hours ago, Kelly Sweetheart said:

I cannot find a Protein Shake that I like. Previously I was on the Jenny Craig diet and I loved their vanilla shakes. But they only have 12 g of Protein. I think I read somebody added flavored Syrup to Protein Powder and Water and that helped. anybody?

Have you tried the Fairlife shakes? They seem to have less of that icky chemical taste than other brands, IMO.

Adding SF Syrup to unflavored Protein powder and Water is a smart idea. I'll probably try that, so thanks for sharing the idea.

10 hours ago, FutureSylph said:

Have you tried the Fairlife shakes? They seem to have less of that icky chemical taste than other brands, IMO.

Adding SF Syrup to unflavored Protein Powder and Water is a smart idea. I'll probably try that, so thanks for sharing the idea.

I ordered some vanilla Fairlife shakes from Amazon. I couldn't find any at my local grocery stores. thanks

13 hours ago, LilaNicole20 said:

I am having pretty significant pain at my collar bone that is preventing me from taking normal deep breaths. Has anyone else experienced this? I also have pain when walking in my left lower quadrant but there is no incision there so I'm confused by what could be causing that pain.

One of the videos I watched mentioned gas traveling to the shoulders as well. Other than walking they suggested percussing the area to break down the gas into smaller parts

28 minutes ago, Kelly Sweetheart said:

I ordered some vanilla Fairlife shakes from Amazon. I couldn't find any at my local grocery stores. thanks

I was getting ready to order from Amazon when I found them at Walmart. They hadn't previously been there. You might want to double check walmart again because, for me, they were cheaper.

18 hours ago, LilaNicole20 said:

I'm pretty sure the shoulder pain is the referred pain from the gas they inflate you with (it actually irritates a nerve near your diaphragm but is felt in your shoulder) and I also had lower left quadrant pain which turned out to be gas pains from having to go BM. The intestinal gas can be very painful as it moves through your system.

On 3/10/2022 at 1:07 PM, kcuster83 said:

Congrats! I am glad you are doing well overall. Take it day to day, my team told us there is no way we would hit fluid goals right out of surgery but we should be there within a week. Just keep pushing, that's all you can do.

Good luck!

PS: I am from MD too (Baltimore) Where are you located. (If you care to share)

Hi fellow Marylander...I am in Chesapeake Beach which is about 20 miles south of Annapolis.

Just now, Flab-U-Less Forever said:

Hi fellow Marylander...I am in Chesapeake Beach which is about 20 miles south of Annapolis.

Yes, very familiar with the area. I am in Baltimore so we are pretty close. Where did you have your surgery?

I am having mine done at Franklin square with Dr. You.

21 hours ago, FutureSylph said:

So glad to hear good news from my surgical twin. Yeah, sleeping in my own bed in my natural position is the highlight of surgical recovery for me so far.

I had my one-week clinic checkup today, and the news was almost all good. Unfortunately, I can't get my drain removed yet -- still draining too much Fluid to take it out. Maybe Monday on that; we'll see.

Another highlight: pureed diet starts on Sunday, and I'll finally have some food (albeit mushy). Really looking forward to it, especially ricotta bake. I'm very much a cheese lover.

pureed food sounds like heaven but I am not able to do that until the 17th...funny how all the programs are different. I too am a cheese lover and am planning on the ricotta bake as well. Let me know how it turns out!