Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2022 Surgery Buddies

3 hours ago, Flab-U-Less Forever said:

I'm pretty sure the shoulder pain is the referred pain from the gas they inflate you with (it actually irritates a nerve near your diaphragm but is felt in your shoulder) and I also had lower left quadrant pain which turned out to be gas pains from having to go BM. The intestinal gas can be very painful as it moves through your system.

That is exactly what it is. Just wish it would go away! each day is better than the last so I feel good about that.

Today I think I ate my cream of wheat too fast, I was miserable for about 2-3 hours after eating it. I had the same thing in the hospital and did not experience the same thing but I mixed Protein with the milk to make it and I think that was just too much. Anyways, lesson learned. go slow!

6 hours ago, misschi12 said:

Had my surgery on the 8th. Was discharged the 10th. Still feeling uncomfortable and I’m trying my best to get my protein/liquids in but it’s difficult.

We’re surgery twins! Uncomfortable best describes the feeling, for sure. I weighed in on the day of surgery at 267 and today I’m 260.
Yesterday I was able to get all my Protein in before 2pm. Hoping to do the same today. It definitely takes focus and intention to reach the prescribed numbers. This isn’t exactly a walk in the park, is it?!
Do you have trapped air like I do - around the collarbone/shoulders/neck? It’s a little better today but not gone. I’m so excited to get to the 2 week mark - I think most discomfort will subside by then. I’m content right now with the full liquid diet. Have you been taking pain meds? I can’t sleep without them yet. I was doing fine on the IV Tylenol in the hospital but being home I’m taking the 5mg Oxy and 500mg oral Tylenol every 6 hours. What did they give you for pain?
Have you had a bm yet? My incisions have been itchy, which is a good sign of healing but annoying at the same time.

Edited by LilaNicole20

To LilaNicole 20 ! Hope your procedure went well and you're feeling better now. My gastric bypass was on 3/7/22. I still have a little pain at the incision sites and a bit more intense pain on my right side so it hurts when i take a deep breath. My Doctor fixed a hiatal hernia he found during surgery, so that may be the reason for the pain. I can drink liquids easily, thank God so i won't get dehydrated, hopefully. Have to take PPIs a long time and still taking Metroprolol for high blood pressure, but may be able to discontinue those after a while. I can't walk very far yet or stand up straight without a pillow. Other than all that, i'm feeling really good! Thank You, Jesus!!!

To ShoppeGirl, congrats on your success, for sure!!! I know you will loose those last few pounds easily now, "with a little bit o luck"!!!

To doobie31-Good luck and God Bless!!!

How do you measure your foods?

To UniqueHandle-we have surgery on the same day! Good luck and God Bless!

I’m not sure how to respond directly to you @LilaNicole20 so I hope you see this. They actually didn’t weigh me the day of surgery but from I remember the last time I weight myself before then I was 283 and haven’t weighed myself since then just because my doctor told me not to worry about that for now. It was sooo hard for me to get in everything yesterday but I’m gonna try today. I was only able to get in one Protein Drink, Powerade zero and half of a yougurt. I think any trapped air has moved over to my right underarm(if that’s possible?) that’s what feels the most uncomfy right now. And yes I can wait until this feeling is gone. They also prescribed me Oxy but I haven’t been using it that much, I do take it at night tho because I’ve been sleeping on my stomach lately just because that’s my perferred way and it cuts down any pain.

And lastly nope I haven’t had a BM yet, just gas from time to time. They put this sort of clear film on my incisions that are supposed to break down as they heal, so I don’t really feel any sensations from them it’s a weird feeling I can’t describe lol

That’s great! I got mine March 9th after having my surgery be post pibes 3 times and waiting 1 year after initial postponement but I’m 3 days post op now and so far so good…never knew passing gas would bring me such joy lol

I'm drinking things too fast. sip sip sip and then stop a bit then sip sip sip. I skipped the cream of wheat today and just had a small amount of yogurt mixed with a spoon of non-fat cottage cheese and s/f maple Syrup instead. I'm feeling pretty good.

I've been using my fitness pal to truly track my calories and macros - yesterday I only consumed 528 calories, 71g Protein, 41g carb, 8g fat. Today so far, I have 461 calories, 74g protein, 27g carb, 4g fat. I'm shocked by these low calorie numbers and my satiety. I would have never been able to sustain this low of a caloric intake prior to surgery.

My shoulder pain is hugely improved today - I still feel it when I take deep breaths but it's manageable. I made an intention to add fresh pineapple to my smoothies 3 days prior to surgery in an effort to minimize swelling and bruising due to the bromelain it contains … I wonder if it actually had an effect on anything (clearly not the air).

My husband is stressing my out today (he's too hyper and bored with me being down and out and therefore driving me crazy like a little kid) - I could feel my inner organs tense up as I was getting frustrated with him. I need to just chill out and ignore him! We're usually on the go on the weekends.

Have any of you experienced an aversion to foods that you liked before? I can't really say that I have, I mean everything is limited anyways. I did have a dream that I was eating melon. lol I woke up nervous about that. I just made a yummy Soup that gave me a nice umami flavor, I used Swanson Bone Broth instead of Water with a can of Campbell's golden mushroom soup, strained. It was surprisingly very good.

7 hours ago, misschi12 said:

I’m not sure how to respond directly to you @LilaNicole20 so I hope you see this. They actually didn’t weigh me the day of surgery but from I remember the last time I weight myself before then I was 283 and haven’t weighed myself since then just because my doctor told me not to worry about that for now. It was sooo hard for me to get in everything yesterday but I’m gonna try today. I was only able to get in one Protein Drink, Powerade zero and half of a yougurt. I think any trapped air has moved over to my right underarm(if that’s possible?) that’s what feels the most uncomfy right now. And yes I can wait until this feeling is gone. They also prescribed me Oxy but I haven’t been using it that much, I do take it at night tho because I’ve been sleeping on my stomach lately just because that’s my perferred way and it cuts down any pain.

And lastly nope I haven’t had a BM yet, just gas from time to time. They put this sort of clear film on my incisions that are supposed to break down as they heal, so I don’t really feel any sensations from them it’s a weird feeling I can’t describe lol

If you highlight the portion of my text (or anyone's) that you want to respond to - just hold the mouse to highlight and then when you let off it will give you the option to "quote selection". I had to ask how to do it myself, because it isn't intuitive.

I hope you have a bm soon. Make sure you're getting up and walking - but as I say that, I have not had one yet today, either.

The clear film sounds interesting. I have steri strips over mine and everything is itchy!

7 hours ago, Sulynfan22 said:

To LilaNicole 20 ! Hope your procedure went well and you're feeling better now. My gastric bypass was on 3/7/22. I still have a little pain at the incision sites and a bit more intense pain on my right side so it hurts when i take a deep breath. My Doctor fixed a hiatal hernia he found during surgery, so that may be the reason for the pain. I can drink liquids easily, thank God so i won't get dehydrated, hopefully. Have to take PPIs a long time and still taking Metroprolol for high blood pressure, but may be able to discontinue those after a while. I can't walk very far yet or stand up straight without a pillow. Other than all that, i'm feeling really good! Thank You, Jesus!!!

Thank you! Sounds like yours went pretty well, too. I wonder if maybe it is the trapped air on your right side causing pain - I'd bet it is because I am having pain at my collarbone when I take deep breaths (from the air). Keep taking long slow deep breaths to really expand those lungs (through the pain). It will help clear all the junk. I had a hernia repair, too. When I'm hurting its in the lower left quadrant - I really wish I had been shown photos from the procedure so that I can have a visualization of where the organs are situated in the abdominal cavity.

So glad to hear that you are feeling really good!

I had surgery on March 5th, and I'm struggling so much!!! I'm having a tough time getting enough fluids down. I will have to obtain a Fluid IV infusion because I'm dehydrated. I'm barely eating food because I'm trying to get fluids in.

I feel like everyone is so confident in their decision to have surgery, but I'm starting to regret it. I know it's supposed to get easier, and I hope so because I can't imagine living like a this