Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who had skin removal surgery

So, I’ve lost 125lbs, and my body feels like I’ve got about 25-35 to go. I have a ton of loose skin which I plan to have removed. My question is: what was your starting weight and how much did your excess skin end up weighing? Just trying to figure out where I’m “really at.” (Sorry if bad format, on mobile.)

I've had 2 skin removal surgeries and I didn't ask if they had actually weighed the skin. It's really not that much, weight wise. We even discussed that while my doctor was marking me preop. He told me the people that lose several pounds of skin are the "My 600 lb life" people. My first surgery was a lower body lift and arms. My second was upper body lift. I'm having my 3rd surgery Jan 27, doing my thighs...that's the only place where there may actually be some fat to remove along with the skin.

I'm a guy and one of those "My 600 pound life" people, though they are lightweights to me. I lost in surplus of 500 pounds. I was told that I should not do plastic surgery until I was at a stable weight, which I did.

I had a abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). The skin taken off weighed about 15 pounds. My parents bought balloons declaring "it's a boy." Boy did I get some interesting looks.

My plan was to have a second surgery on thighs but issues revealed during the abdominoplasty made additional elective surgeries ill advised.

Good luck,

Tek

I didn't have mine weighed, but I know skin doesn't weigh very much. Most people say 5 lbs or less was removed. Although if you have a ton of Lipo done, it could be more than that.

I had one of those commercial DEXA scans done (at one of those places like DEXAFit) so I knew how much of my weight was fat, muscle, bone, etc. I thought at 146 lbs that I could have lost another 15 or 20 lbs, but I was told no - I was only 22% muscle, which is pretty lean for a woman - so I needed to wind up my weight loss efforts and just try to maintain.

(Deja Vu… i just replied to another thread in this similar topic, lol)

Anyhoo, my surgeon weighed my removed “material” and it all added up to 400g (had a TT, arm lift and breast lift). But i was pretty small going in with very little body fat.

Thank you for the insight!

I thought the plastic surgeon who has done all of my skin removal surgeries was making this up lol...

I had 19.2 pounds of skin removed from my abdominal and mons area! Now, contrary to what may be some people's experience, that has NEVER been reflected on the scale. Somehow, my weight actually stayed around the same, maybe slightly less. Pretty weird! :)

This is all dependent on where you started, and how well your skin bounces back. So your result may be very different than others

On 12/8/2021 at 8:24 PM, Suzi_the_Q said:

So, I’ve lost 125lbs, and my body feels like I’ve got about 25-35 to go. I have a ton of loose skin which I plan to have removed. My question is: what was your starting weight and how much did your excess skin end up weighing? Just trying to figure out where I’m “really at.” (Sorry if bad format, on mobile.)

As others have stated; it depends on a number of factors and is individual to each person, I'm 5'4" and lost a bit over 120lbs. My weight at my first consultation with Dr. LoMonaco was 141lbs and he told me not to lose any more (never had I heard those words from a man...). I had a lower body lift, arm & outer thigh lift and breast reconstruction. He told me he took off between 4-5lbs. No liposuction needed.