Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

American Idol '08

smatyas

Well, I'm not extremely impressed this year. I thought the best part of this years performances is when Blake came on to do his new song. It reminded me of how good (Sanjaya aside) last year was... I'm not seeing the meat behind the claims that this is the most talented year ever.

Did ya'll hear Sanjaya is doing the bar mitzvah scene?

But didn't you know that this is the MOST TALENTED SEASON EVER? :biggrin: :(:lol:

Actually I think that this is definitely the most talented season ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Archuleta performance was done to change it up a little. His shy, sweet little awe, shucks, toe twisting in the sand routine was already getting old to me. I think he is really great and has such an interesting tone in his voice, but I do think that he needed to do something to keep from being so totally predictably perfect.

The little country girl thing was not awful to me. Not good, but tolerable. But then there's a whole lot of country music that goes on here in Texas. I've heard worse from the pros.

Can't wait to see what they do tonight!

By the way, I think Carly has a great voice, but I am bothered by her ultra strained expression at times.

Brooke is one of the most unique talents in a while. And Chickeezee and the girl rocker were both very entertaining. I have liked Chickeezee from the very beginning. I hope he can continue to have unique and good performances. Although I enjoy the girl rocker (Cruella) I don't think she can hold on too much longer. She's gotta get much stronger to win people over.

So who will go home next?

My order that I think the contestants will go home (unless their performances change my mind), Kristy Lee Cook, Ramiele Malubay, then I have pairs of either of these guys: Amanda Overmeyer and Michael Johns (unless he really steps it up, he doesn't deserve to stay in), Jason Castro and Chikezie, Sayesha, and the final four would be Carly Smithson, David Cook, Brooke White and David Archuleta. I'm sure everyone's order would be different, but for me right now, that's about my opinion of the contestants. I have to add that I really, really enjoy Jason Castro, but I don't think he'll end up going super far in this competition. I would buy his CD or concert ticket in a heartbeat. He's just so fun to watch perform.

This week, my top three were David Cook (I'm not sure why I like him as much as I do since I don't like the genre he sings, generally.), Jason Castro, and David Archuleta, although I didn't really feel much of an audience connection with David A., I did think he performed well.

As for Brooke this week, she actually started really strong. When she was sitting and then stood, she was fine. As soon as she started moving, things got really awkward. How weird is that to have a great singer who can't move comfortably on stage? She was pretty funny about the whole thing, too, although she could have zipped her lip toward the end of the judges comments. I really like her.

Carly Smithson is talented, but somehow I just don't connect with her. It's very telling that the judges have compared her to Kelly Clarkson more than once.

I can't believe I just wrote that much about a performance night that I honestly wasn't that opinionated about to begin with! LOL I'm a big nerd.

I think Kristy is going home tonight. But, then again, I have never been particularly impressed with her. I like David A. ok, in that I agree he is very talented. But in terms of being a performer/entertainer, I think he still has some maturing to do. Based on that, I would prefer to see one of the older talents win. I think Brooke is my favorite.

I have a feeling that Kristy will probably go home, if it's based on talent. I think she has a pretty voice, but she just picks the wrong songs and I think she has a bad case of the nerves.

I think Brooke is my favorite too! She didn't do too well last night, but I still really like her. She does best when she is just sitting, playing guitar or piano and just singing the crap out of a song. Maybe someone could help her with her moves?

I really don't understand why Carly is being compared to Kelly Clarkson. She has a good voice, but it just doesn't even compare to Kelly's, IMO. Kelly is my all-time favorite idol winner so far, Carrie is next. Sometimes Carly sounds like Celine Dion to me. I don't know, she's good, but not my favorite by far.

I really like Jason Castro, but he really didn't do that well. I hope he steps it up next week. David Cook is my favorite guy. David A. is ok, not really my cup of tea, but he does have a good voice.

I hated to see Amanda go. I think she's pretty entertaining and since she's so different, kind of a nice change of pace. I'd love to hear her do some really gritty songs that suit her style. She obviously doesn't fit in the same pocket as the rest of the group though, so her departure was inevitable.

Kristie should have been the first to go from the group IMHO. She has a pleasant enough voice and I love her background and personality when she's talking, but she just doesn't have command of the stage and her performance. She reminds me of a pretty 9th grader trying out for a talent show. Maybe someone will get hold of her, help her kick it up a couple of notches and she'll blossom into a real entertainer.

Several of our friends and family absolutely love Michael Johns. He has seemed uncomfortable and a little out of his element, but he has a very interesting voice, kicked the you-know-what out of Bohemian Rapsody and a couple of other songs and I just know he has what it takes to become a real star.

Poor David Archuleta. Well, he's really talented voice-wise. What a nice tone he has and his stage presence is fine too. He's just in the wrong place. He needs to be taken in by some wonderfully talented producer and get him the right material and he'll be off and running. He's not suited to be an American Idol - he's more a potential all-around popular entertainer like Sinatra.

Carly has the pipes! She really does, and I'm sure she's going places. But I don't think she has the fan base she needs to win American Idol. I could definitely be wrong. During her performance, I thought her close up camera shots were awesome.

Brooke is the next Carly Simon/James Taylor. Surely there's a market for her. We think she's great to listen to as well as watch. Obviously very bright.

David Cook is on his way! He just needs some really talented guys to back him up.

Ramiele is amazing. At the same time, she has some real weaknesses. I think someone is going to get hold of her and exploit her talent and beauty like they have Pickler.

Ok. That's my assessment. What's yours? :wink2:

What did you all think about the elimination?

I think America got the bottom 3 right, but I think Amanda should have gotten another week.........I think Kristy should have went home. She is one lucky girl, she has escaped elimination every week.

I wasn't crazy about Carly being in the bottom 3, but Amanda and Kristi definitely belonged there. I'm not feeling it for Ramiele AT ALL. She should have been where Carly was.

Amanda... She was ok. I think she was trying too hard to be different, does that make sense?

Yep. It definitely makes sense about Amanda. She really did seem to try too hard to be a heavy rocker. She spent too much time sticking out her tongue and also trying to take a hard stance with the judges. That's why I don't think she ever had a chance at being the American Idol. But she got exposure and hopefully she will get a fun and profitable gig with a cool, rockin' band.

I agree about Amanda trying too hard to be different. Remiele REALLY gets on my nerves. I am soooo ready for her to go. I definately thought Carly DID NOT belong in the bottom 3.

I totally agree... Remiele REALLY gets on my nerves too. I definately thought Carly DID NOT belong in the bottom 3. Instead of Carly it should have been Remiele in her place.

I think Kristi should have went home before Amanda though.

Remiele and her baby talk is what is getting on my nerves, grow up girl!!! I agree, she belonged in the bottom 3, not Carly. As for Amanda going home, she was dead set on being the heavy rocker and not really taking any of the judges advice. That is fine to be true to who she is, so long as she doesn't mind that it means she didn't have a chance of going very far on Idol.

Am I the only one who gets nuts watching Remiele's hair fall in her face in a big glob? I like a "comb over" as much as the next person, but not when it is constantly having to be pushed back so the person can see. It's like she is hiding behind her hair. She needs to bust on out with her huge ole' voice, as Randy called it, and stop acting like a 10 year old. And all that bawling... come on...

Ok, Remiele needs to go home!!! I am so over her. She acts like she is 3 and is annoying.

Michael Johns was great tonight, I really enjoyed him. But, the one I am still shocked over was David Cook. I was really hoping he would do something good tonight. Then they announce he is doing Michael Jackson's Bille Jean and I absolutely cringed. I was like, "what in the world was he thinking". But man, the way he changed that song and what he did with it was absolutely awesome! I loved it.