Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pureed Egg Salad (Keeping Me Sane)

Hi -

Protein Shakes were driving me NUTS. I am at the very end of full liquids and beginning to introduce pureed food. However my purees are on the liquidier side because it is what I can handle. You can add less liquid to this recipe if your tummy can handle thicker stuff. I was so wanting something savory. I've been basically living off Premier Protein chocolate shakes and broth based Soups with flavorless Protein added (for awhile this was truly all I could handle otherwise I would feel quite ill) but - now I am trying more things gradually.

Note - this serves probably like 6-8 servings? Maybe more? I haven't measured. I just eat a few spoonfuls and don't over-do it.

Ingredients

🔸4 hard boiled eggs

🔸1.5 tbsp mayo (I used chosen foods - because it's paleo and doesn't have inflammatory oils - I was paleo before surgery and before pre-op even to help manage my PCOS symptoms)

🔸1 stalk celery chopped

🔸A dash of Himalayan Pink Salt

🔸A dash of Onion Salt (I used Trader Joe's brand)

🔸1/4C Pickle Juice (this is the liquidy element that helped me)

Directions

🔹 Throw everything into the blender and blend until completely smooth.

🔹 Store and refrigerate. I tend to eat 2 oz servings at a time.

Additional notes - you can probably add more seasoning to this if you're able to tolerate. Since I am so early on I wanted to keep it very simple and easy to digest. I loved loved loved this meal. Hope yours turn out great 👍

For a lower fat version, try replacing 1 tbsp of the mayo with greek yogurt and still use .5 tbsp of the mayo. It is a lot less fatty and less calories with very little sacrifice in taste. I use this for egg salad, tuna salad and chicken salad.

9 hours ago, slimbunny said:

Hi -

Protein Shakes were driving me NUTS. I am at the very end of full liquids and beginning to introduce pureed food. However my purees are on the liquidier side because it is what I can handle. You can add less liquid to this recipe if your tummy can handle thicker stuff. I was so wanting something savory. I've been basically living off Premier Protein chocolate shakes and broth based Soups with flavorless Protein added (for awhile this was truly all I could handle otherwise I would feel quite ill) but - now I am trying more things gradually.

Note - this serves probably like 6-8 servings? Maybe more? I haven't measured. I just eat a few spoonfuls and don't over-do it.

Ingredients

🔸4 hard boiled eggs

🔸1.5 tbsp mayo (I used chosen foods - because it's paleo and doesn't have inflammatory oils - I was paleo before surgery and before pre-op even to help manage my PCOS symptoms)

🔸1 stalk celery chopped

🔸A dash of Himalayan Pink Salt

🔸A dash of Onion Salt (I used Trader Joe's brand)

🔸1/4C Pickle Juice (this is the liquidy element that helped me)

Directions

🔹 Throw everything into the blender and blend until completely smooth.

🔹 Store and refrigerate. I tend to eat 2 oz servings at a time.

Additional notes - you can probably add more seasoning to this if you're able to tolerate. Since I am so early on I wanted to keep it very simple and easy to digest. I loved loved loved this meal. Hope yours turn out great 👍

LIke Tony said, you can substitute plain Greek yogurt for mayo - and I even know of people who use cottage cheese instead of mayo.

2 hours ago, Tony B - NJ said:

For a lower fat version, try replacing 1 tbsp of the mayo with greek yogurt and still use .5 tbsp of the mayo. It is a lot less fatty and less calories with very little sacrifice in taste. I use this for egg salad, tuna salad and chicken salad.

Great idea - thank you!

I can't sub Greek yoghurt or skyr for mayo—it just doesn't taste right to me. But I found that Best Foods light mayo (1/3 the calories and much less fat) tastes just as tangy... so much so, that I don't even use all of a tablespoon for a seafood, tuna, chicken, or egg salad.

3 hours ago, vikingbeast said:

I can't sub Greek yoghurt or skyr for mayo—it just doesn't taste right to me. But I found that Best Foods light mayo (1/3 the calories and much less fat) tastes just as tangy... so much so, that I don't even use all of a tablespoon for a seafood, tuna, chicken, or egg salad.

Try Walden Farms Amazin' Mayo. Zero Calories. It's runnier and tangy-er than the mayo I'm used to, but tasty.

Walden Farms has a vast product line of Zero Calories salad dressings, sauces, syrups, jellies. I usually can't find more than one or two items in the supermarkets near me, so I order them online.

So I can't stand light mayo or light salad dressings and I'm not sure I'll be a fan of Greek yogurt in its place. I get to start week 3 tomorrow and I'm so dang excited becuase I plan to make egg salad (I raise backyard chickens so can't wait to finally get back to eating their butt nuggets! 🤣), chicken salad, and tuna salad and I was planning on using regular mayo.

My question as a new post bariatric patient is future plans with this eating lifestyle. My nutritionist said I won't be eating carbs for a while and even when I do start to introduce them, she said a lot of bariatric patients don't tolerate much of them. I was thinking low carb would be best for me as I have done it before but how would that work if I need to do low fat too? I've done Keto before and to me, it's sooo much easier than low fat so I'm curious what others are doing successfully. Is there a way to find a happy medium between low carb and low fat?

On 6/24/2022 at 8:35 AM, ShianRaineDrop said:

So I can't stand light mayo or light salad dressings and I'm not sure I'll be a fan of Greek yogurt in its place. I get to start week 3 tomorrow and I'm so dang excited becuase I plan to make egg salad (I raise backyard chickens so can't wait to finally get back to eating their butt nuggets! 🤣), chicken salad, and tuna salad and I was planning on using regular mayo.

My question as a new post bariatric patient is future plans with this eating lifestyle. My nutritionist said I won't be eating carbs for a while and even when I do start to introduce them, she said a lot of bariatric patients don't tolerate much of them. I was thinking low carb would be best for me as I have done it before but how would that work if I need to do low fat too? I've done Keto before and to me, it's sooo much easier than low fat so I'm curious what others are doing successfully. Is there a way to find a happy medium between low carb and low fat?

Honestly I didn't do low carb, low fat or low sugar anything and I do just fine