Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgeries - check in!

Just over 21 hours post-op. Feeling good. Don’t feel like I need to take narcotics. I do need to get different Tylenol’s - because EZ tabs not so easy 😜 Been walking back and forth a lot in hotel. Drinking Water & apple juice this morning.

11 hours ago, muala94 said:

Has anyone noticed a change in their sense of smell after surgery? Is this psychosomatic? Lol

YES! Smell and taste is different. No idea why, but if it is psychosomatic then you and I both are psycho sistah.

Quick check in. Wednesday marks 4 weeks since my surgery. I am allowed any food that sounds appealing to me, in small amounts and chewed well. There are many things that I have loved all my life that simply don't smell or taste good to me anymore though. Scrambled eggs, which have been a mainstay Breakfast for me just don't do it anymore. I did make a breakfast casserole for family brunch yesterday and ate a couple ounces of it and it tasted and settled well. I highly recommend people add in foods one at a time so when you feel unappealing symptoms (nausea, heartburn) you'll know what caused it. Because I spent Memorial Day weekend out of town with a big group of family, I sampled too many things and some did give me problems though tracking what did is tougher with that much variety. Lesson learned: It's okay and important to go slow. I'm still drinking at least one Protein Shake a day to ensure I'm getting enough Protein and calories.

I am down 16 lbs. since surgery and 38 since what I think of as "the beginning." Feeling better and better every day!

Edited by pk88

On 5/29/2021 at 4:33 PM, dwells6192 said:

I am 1 day postop right now. I have been Having this issue all day like a feeling of a mixture indigestion and needing to burp, but I can't and i get pain when it happens. Has anyone gone through this? It can happen even when I am not drinking. I have been very careful with making sure I am sipping when I do drink and limiting my intake to 1-2 ounces every 15 mins

Yes, I can relate. Honestly, the breathe-swallow synchronicity has taken me a few weeks to work through. I still have some trapped air at times. Be patient with yourself. This is very common. There isn't much room in your pouch.

On 06/01/2021 at 11:03, pk88 said:

Quick check in. Wednesday marks 4 weeks since my surgery. I am allowed any food that sounds appealing to me, in small amounts and chewed well. There are many things that I have loved all my life that simply don't smell or taste good to me anymore though. Scrambled eggs, which have been a mainstay Breakfast for me just don't do it anymore. I did make a breakfast casserole for family brunch yesterday and ate a couple ounces of it and it tasted and settled well. I highly recommend people add in foods one at a time so when you feel unappealing symptoms (nausea, heartburn) you'll know what caused it. Because I spent Memorial Day weekend out of town with a big group of family, I sampled too many things and some did give me problems though tracking what did is tougher with that much variety. Lesson learned: It's okay and important to go slow. I'm still drinking at least one Protein Shake a day to ensure I'm getting enough Protein and calories.

I am down 16 lbs. since surgery and 38 since what I think of as "the beginning." Feeling better and better every day!

I am glad to hear that you are doing well. I am on week 5 post op and still introducing foods back into my diet—I don’t have carte blanche the way you do, though! I think it is interesting how doctors’ offices are so different. This week I am on shaved deli meat, cheese, and turkey chili, and melba toast/saltines. LOL! I agree with you on taking it slow and trying one food at a time. eggs did not bother me at first, but now they do. I had to take anti-nausea meds for the first time since week one because of a scrambled egg! I have also found that certain foods make me gag—yogurt, cottage cheese, and fish! I am so disappointed in losing 4 quality means of Protein because they just are not palatable! I also find that I can’t eat much. I certainly can’t drink a whole Protein Shake in one sitting—I have to drink 1/2 in the am and the other 1/2 in the pm. I find I struggle with getting enough protein. It is my #1 goal right now—get 80 grams of protein a day! I am barely getting 50. I have lost 31 lbs since the beginning and 20 lbs since surgery. I go for my 6 week check-up next week. I am so excited for next week because fruits and vegetables return. I cannot wait! I don’t reach any food I want until Week 12! I am still tired—I try to walk every day, but I haven’t made it to the gym yet. That is my 2nd goal—go to gym 3x a week. All in all—I am doing well. Still learning how to navigate Tiny Tummy, but so much happier when I look in the mirror! One more pound, and I will be in the 180s! 31lbs down and 50 to go, but my first small weight goal is 185!

On 06/01/2021 at 10:53, pk88 said:

YES! Smell and taste is different. No idea why, but if it is psychosomatic then you and I both are psycho sistah.

I agree—I feel like a blood hound now—I smell everything so keenly—sometimes, it is a nightmare! Yes, my tastes have changed, too. I don’t like what I used to like—a lot of things just taste sour to me! Maybe we will return to “normal” in a few months! LOL!

3 hours ago, pk88 said:

My surgery was also 5/12 but I'm only counting 3 weeks post op. Wednesday is 21 days since surgery that's 3 weeks right? I'm allowed to move to puree on Wednesday and I've been counting down the days lol if I'm off by a week I'll be mad at myself.

My loss is super similar to yours, about 15lbs down since surgery and 35 overall. I feel mostly normal, maybe still a little tired, especially if I do a lot of activity or haven't eaten enough.

15 hours ago, SoulGardener said:

Should I have lost more than 13 pounds in 27 days since surgery?

Everyone is different. I am 13 days post op and down 14 pounds. A loss is a loss - don’t compare yourself to anyone. This is your journey. And, who knows, they could be lieing to make themselves look good! 😊

5717AC74-C01C-4B19-AE2A-13B649424D39.jpeg

On 5/31/2021 at 2:21 PM, Mommy wants to be able said:

Oh wow! Now I’m getting excited lol! I didn’t know we were allowed fruit yet! I have a two-year-old so I might just plop some of her baby food fruit into the oatmeal! I also bought cream of chicken and cream of mushroom Soup that you can Water down with Water or milk and hoping those taste just as good! I’m not a big fan of split pea or lentil like my doctor is suggesting. Those I would have to blend and strain anyway. This is probably a dumb question but I’m guessing we’re not allowed to flavored cream of wheat because of the sugar? Like the cinnamon and the maple brown sugar ones? I picked up some sugar-free maple Syrup to try to make it taste that way though 🤣

My doctor told me no cream of wheat, no oatmeal, no fruit unless it’s berries. Goes to show you how different every doctor is. Even the doctors in my group of surgeons have different plans for their patients

3 hours ago, JDLane said:

My surgery was also 5/12 but I'm only counting 3 weeks post op. Wednesday is 21 days since surgery that's 3 weeks right? I'm allowed to move to puree on Wednesday and I've been counting down the days lol if I'm off by a week I'll be mad at myself.

My loss is super similar to yours, about 15lbs down since surgery and 35 overall. I feel mostly normal, maybe still a little tired, especially if I do a lot of activity or haven't eaten enough.

You're so right! Talk about jumping the gun there. My dietician started me on pureed foods the second week and this week I can add in things one at a time. Next week, it's all about experimentation, though I sort of started that already. I also wear myself out more quickly. I found some gummy vitamins that seem to be more digestible to me.

I'm glad to have someone with the same surgery date. We can share our successes and ideas that have worked!

6 hours ago, BypassedSophie said:

I am glad to hear that you are doing well. I am on week 5 post op and still introducing foods back into my diet—I don’t have carte blanche the way you do, though! I think it is interesting how doctors’ offices are so different. This week I am on shaved deli meat, cheese, and turkey chili, and melba toast/saltines. LOL! I agree with you on taking it slow and trying one food at a time. eggs did not bother me at first, but now they do. I had to take anti-nausea meds for the first time since week one because of a scrambled egg! I have also found that certain foods make me gag—yogurt, cottage cheese, and fish! I am so disappointed in losing 4 quality means of Protein because they just are not palatable! I also find that I can’t eat much. I certainly can’t drink a whole Protein Shake in one sitting—I have to drink 1/2 in the am and the other 1/2 in the pm. I find I struggle with getting enough Protein. It is my #1 goal right now—get 80 grams of protein a day! I am barely getting 50. I have lost 31 lbs since the beginning and 20 lbs since surgery. I go for my 6 week check-up next week. I am so excited for next week because fruits and vegetables return. I cannot wait! I don’t reach any food I want until Week 12! I am still tired—I try to walk every day, but I haven’t made it to the gym yet. That is my 2nd goal—go to gym 3x a week. All in all—I am doing well. Still learning how to navigate Tiny Tummy, but so much happier when I look in the mirror! One more pound, and I will be in the 180s! 31lbs down and 50 to go, but my first small weight goal is 185!

Wow! You're doing great with your weight loss. Congratulations. I hope they can help you get some better energy though! I'll have a good day, energy-wise and then a sluggish day and I'm not sure exactly what causes it.

As another May 12th surgery "twin" just told me, I am on week 3 (not week 4) which with my dietician is the "soft texture" phase. I guess I jumped the gun a bit I'd say I'm sticking pretty much to it, though I ate some things over the weekend that weren't totally soft until I'd chewed them to liquid. I struggle to come up with things that sound good. It is so strange that now that I can have food other than Protein Shakes, I can't think of anything appealing. Since the gagging and nausea this morning over that scrambled egg, I feel a little hesitant about experimenting.

Keep up the good work!

5 hours ago, Losing in in 2021 said:

My doctor told me no cream of wheat, no oatmeal, no fruit unless it’s berries. Goes to show you how different every doctor is. Even the doctors in my group of surgeons have different plans for their patients

Ugh so I got so excited and emailed my nutritionist and got a big fat NOPE. Seems like I’m on same plan as you. On phase 2 Protein liquids. Only 2-4 oz Soup w Protein Powder whisked in, yogurt, Protein Shakes, sugar free Jello and yogurt and milk 😢

3 hours ago, pk88 said:

You're so right! Talk about jumping the gun there. My dietician started me on pureed foods the second week and this week I can add in things one at a time. Next week, it's all about experimentation, though I sort of started that already. I also wear myself out more quickly. I found some gummy vitamins that seem to be more digestible to me.

I'm glad to have someone with the same surgery date. We can share our successes and ideas that have worked!

Which gummy vitamins are you taking? I’d love to find some that don’t come right back up. Zofran is the only thing helping me these days 😔

7 hours ago, Losing in in 2021 said:

Have you heard anything about Kettle and Fire Soups? I have a mushroom bisque and that is all liquid. My doctor also gave me the recommendations of split pea or lentil Soup (strained). I have tried to outreach to my Nutritionist but I know it takes her days to respond due to her case load.