Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgeries - check in!

On 6/3/2021 at 6:37 PM, dwells6192 said:

I had my surgery on the 28th as well. I am feeling better than I was expecting at this point. Issue i am having is some heartburn here and there even though I am on Protonix which I have been on for years. I walk twice a day for about 0.7 miles each walk. I am doing two Premier Protein shakes a day and break up a Greek yogurt as well. I add some skim milk to the yogurt as recommended by the doctor to make the consistency more like a liquid. I am ready for the puree stage where I feel like I can get more Protein and calories. Feel like it would help give me more energy.

I also take PPI's and have for years and I have had a couple bad nights due to heartburn. I discovered I need to stop eating or drinking Protein Drinks by 7pm and I also keep Pepcid or generic Famotidine on hand in case I feel some heartburn. I will often take one in addition to the PPIs but usually I can avoid that if I am diligent in eating dinner early enough. You might have to experiment a bit. I knew going into the surgery that VSG can increase GERD symptoms, but my Gastroenterologist felt most of my issue was overeating too late and being obese. Hope you bounce back quickly!

On 6/3/2021 at 11:59 AM, Beautifulhero said:

Thank god I'm going to try and I'll keep yall updated.

Bear in mind BypassedSophie had a Roux-en-y and not gastric sleeve. I don't know what surgery you had but that may have some bearing on why she is able to use straws. Personally I wouldn't, and couldn't. I get way too much air in my pouch as it is. My surgery was May 12th and I'm still working on my breath-swallow synchronicity. Adding extra air thru a straw sounds painful.

On 6/1/2021 at 10:46 PM, dwells6192 said:

Have you heard anything about Kettle and Fire Soups? I have a mushroom bisque and that is all liquid. My doctor also gave me the recommendations of split pea or lentil Soup (strained). I have tried to outreach to my Nutritionist but I know it takes her days to respond due to her case load.

I’ve never heard of them. I’ll have to find them. Thanks for the info!

Hi! I had surgery on 5/18 and by week two increased energy now since last week, I’m a slow drag! Energy depleted! I’m struggling with eating and my Protein intake is just not there…
Is this normal? Yesterday I didn’t get out the bed

1 hour ago, Reddpanda said:

Hi! I had surgery on 5/18 and by week two increased energy now since last week, I’m a slow drag! Energy depleted! I’m struggling with eating and my Protein intake is just not there…
Is this normal? Yesterday I didn’t get out the bed

I had surgery on 5/26. I just had my first post op appointment with my surgeon. I have not been able to reach the recommended Protein or Fluid amounts since surgery. My energy level has been very low as well. They told me that is normal and that as I move to more and more real food options that will continue to increase and my energy will as well. They took me off all Vitamins and other meds after surgery but told me to resume those and that will help too. I also read somewhere that it can take up to five weeks to really get energy back. So I recommend you listen to your body. Rest when it’s tired and be active when it allows you. Hope you turn the corner soon!

I had surgery on 5/18 as well. I have felt exhausted the last few days again as well. I find when I don’t do as well with Protein I have less energy. My doctor said it’s normal first 4-6 weeks to go back and forth.

My surgery was the week before yours and I've had bouts of good energy and also fatigue. I am able to eat a fairly normal diet, but as many have indicated on here I am learning that the foods I loved eating before surgery often don't sound good. So, I still rely on one to two Protein Shakes a day and I have to force myself to drink enough Water. To get the appropriate amount of water (dehydration causes serious fatigue), I have to be sipping a glass of water all day long! All. Day. Long.

I sometimes use Myfitnesspal to track my intake so I can make sure I'm getting an adequate amount of calories, Protein and water. And, as always if you have concerns reach out to your surgical team and/or dietician. Wishing you well!

My Surgery was May 19th and yup, I too had the low energy for the first two weeks after surgery as I healed. I'd find myself falling asleep throughout the day. Plus I had not been sleeping well because I could not lay down due to the burning/tugging in my incisions area so I slept sitting up which sucks.

Anyway, once week two ended and I moved to puree I felt sooooo much better. Way more energy and no longer falling asleep.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:19 PM, dwells6192 said:

Are you getting the regular or fat free ones? Sorry, just curious because I may be starting my puree phase next week and getting a response from the Nutritionist takes a little and wanted to get some stuff this weekend

I am hoping I get the clear to move to puree phase tomorrow🤞. Is the ricotta bake good for the puree phase or is this something I should hold off on till the soft foods? I can have ricotta and sauce but wasn't sure if anyone had experience with it.

4 minutes ago, dwells6192 said:

I am hoping I get the clear to move to puree phase tomorrow🤞. Is the ricotta bake good for the puree phase or is this something I should hold off on till the soft foods? I can have ricotta and sauce but wasn't sure if anyone had experience with it.

I had it on purée. It’s delicious at that point. Just be careful if your sauce has chunks in it. Mine had small ones I had to get out.

Edited by ShoppGirl

4 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I had it on purée. It’s delicious at that point. Just be careful if your sauce has chunks in it. Mine had small ones I had to get out.

Thanks. Is there a recipe that you recommend?

On 4/26/2021 at 8:24 PM, smilelaura said:

May 24th here! Good luck to you all!

I am May 24th as well! How are you doing now?

@fatfit I am doing good, other than a little occasional heartburn and hiccups. 😀 How are you doing?

Hello everyone I have a question, Am I the only one that is fighting the urge to want to eat food. I know it’s only a mind thing, but that’s what I am going thru right now. No pain no issues only dealing with the thought of food mentally.