Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you pick such a high goal weight? Your BMI is STILL overweight!

I'm kinda late in replying to the subject at hand, but I wanted to add that in addition to all the comments about "best weight", etc, which I completely agree with, my dietitian has always let us know that BMI doesn't always "work" with WLS patients (as it often doesn't "work" for some other categories, like athletes, either). We often have more "infrastructure" than never-been-obese people - i.e, heavier bones and muscles that we needed to hold up all that weight. Of course, we lose some of that as we lose weight, too - but even after massive weight loss, they're still often heavier than they are for "normies".

31 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

have you tried this guy's? He does walking workouts like Leslie does, but I think he's more fun. Plus I like it when his cats walk across the room. His videos are all of different lengths, so if I'm really not in the mood to exercise - or don't have time - I'll pick some 10- or 15-minute one to do (most of his are walking workouts - but he does some other types, too. I just do the walking ones). I may have heard about him here on BP, but I don't remember - it's been a month or so. But someone recommended it and I really like him.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3lEhUBNqIrFMatB9Zgxo0g

Thanks for the recommendation! I don't think I've seen this guy; I'll try one of his tomorrow. I've tried some other ones that look similar to Leslie Sansone, but the problems I usually run into are that (1) they don't follow the beat of the music, and/or (2) the steps are too complicated or change too often/without warning. Part of it may just be that Leslie's videos are the first ones I tried, so I'm used to them and I know what to expect and don't have to think too hard. I've done most of the ones that are available on YouTube many times; I do 30-50 minutes every day, so I often do 2 or 3 shorter ones back-to-back so I can mix it up a bit.

My favorite Leslie Sansone videos are the ones with Nick as the walk leader. I wish there were more of those. It's funny because he annoyed me at first, when I saw him in the background of videos led by Leslie, because he just looks way too happy to be exercising, but he's pretty funny and seems to have a genuinely positive attitude. I still wouldn't say it's "fun" but it doesn't seem as onerous when I do his videos. I also think he does a better job of leading the walks than Leslie because he always gives a heads up when he's about to change steps and he is honest when he counts down (it kind of drives me crazy when Leslie counts down from 8 and I think we're done with that step and then she does 12 more).

2 minutes ago, BigSue said:

Thanks for the recommendation! I don't think I've seen this guy; I'll try one of his tomorrow. I've tried some other ones that look similar to Leslie Sansone, but the problems I usually run into are that (1) they don't follow the beat of the music, and/or (2) the steps are too complicated or change too often/without warning.

I've done some of those (well, i have little tolerance for those who don't follow the beat of the music, but as far as complicated steps, i figure as long as I'm moving, I'm good. If it's a video, no one can see me anyway if I give up on one of the steps and just march in place for a couple of minutes until they move on to some other step!

Just a suggestion, exercise/activity doesn't have to be going to the gym or running 5K or workout videos. It could also be just be gardening, giving the house a good scrub, parking at the furthest parking space, taking the stairs, walking the dog (or the neighbours dog)...

One of my friends has weights strapped to her ankles almost all the time (not the best look in the summer, but it works for her, lol). Another one has a reminder on her phone to get up and walk around for 2-3 minutes every hour (I used to do this too, but the reminders started to get annoying so I turned it off. haha).

It may not be "alot", but its something.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

I've done some of those (well, i have little tolerance for those who don't follow the beat of the music, but as far as complicated steps, i figure as long as I'm moving, I'm good. If it's a video, no one can see me anyway if I give up on one of the steps and just march in place for a couple of minutes until they move on to some other step!

I really wanted to like the Body Project workouts, but the guy who leads those doesn't follow the beat of the music and it drove me crazy. I don't always follow the Leslie Sansone steps (I did at first, though) because I find that my heart rate drops during certain steps, so I do something else during those. And when I do back-to-back videos, I don't want my heart rate to drop, so I do different and/or faster steps during the cooldown/stretch of the one that's ending and the warmup of the next one.

I don't like the ones with complicated steps because I don't like having to slow down or stop to watch what they're doing and try to get it right, and I feel like I'm not getting as much out of the workout if I'm not doing the steps. I also find it stressful; sometimes by the time I figure out one move, they've already moved on to the next one!

34 minutes ago, BigSue said:

I really wanted to like the Body Project workouts, but the guy who leads those doesn't follow the beat of the music and it drove me crazy. I don't always follow the Leslie Sansone steps (I did at first, though) because I find that my heart rate drops during certain steps, so I do something else during those. And when I do back-to-back videos, I don't want my heart rate to drop, so I do different and/or faster steps during the cooldown/stretch of the one that's ending and the warmup of the next one.

I don't like the ones with complicated steps because I don't like having to slow down or stop to watch what they're doing and try to get it right, and I feel like I'm not getting as much out of the workout if I'm not doing the steps. I also find it stressful; sometimes by the time I figure out one move, they've already moved on to the next one!

I hope you find something that suits you :1313_thumbsup_tone4:. My daily walk has become very meditative for me, plus it gets me a little fresh air and sunlight while I'm staying in during the pandemic.

1 hour ago, Jaelzion said:

I hope you find something that suits you :1313_thumbsup_tone4:. My daily walk has become very meditative for me, plus it gets me a little fresh air and sunlight while I'm staying in during the pandemic.

I also take a walk outside every day (usually 1-1.5 miles, and sometimes one or two shorter walks), but I do the workout videos for cardio.

Late to the party, I know. Would it just be rude to say my comfort with my new BMI is none of your G-D business? Because that's what I'd say, but with slightly more swearing.

If you have a problem with what makes me feel good, maybe you should reflect on your own prejudices, biases and neuroses before you sh!t all over everyone else?

I am seriously in love with this idea of best weight. Way back when I was 17 I got down to about 199 lbs (I'm 5'11). I hit a size 12 and had the rudimentary beginnings of a thigh gap, but had a nice C cup and looked proportional. I felt pretty good about my weight then and would feel great there again and I'm pretty sure that is still technically overweight.

Apologies for the language, I just get so angry with people who feel the need to insert their unsolicited opinions on everyone else.

2 minutes ago, KayBee1972 said:

Late to the party, I know. Would it just be rude to say my comfort with my new BMI is none of your G-D business? Because that's what I'd say, but with slightly more swearing.

Same thing I said. I don't understand why anyone would think they even have standing to have an opinion about someone else's weight loss goal?

7 hours ago, BigSue said:

I hate getting sweaty. I hate the way it feels. I hate exerting myself. I've always hated exercise and I'm pretty sure I always will. I have never been able to understand people who claim to enjoy exercise. I can't even believe it because it makes zero sense to me.

Getting really sweaty is nothing I'm really pleased with so I like colder temperatures.

As for the fun part: I had lots of fun when playing volleyball as a teen or doing martial arts competitively - there were always other people involved so that is definitely something to consider when people are talking about exercise "being fun".

With sports like running or biking it's different. I like zoning out on the treadmill. After having reached a certain level of exertion I can't really grab a thought anymore and follow it. This kind of "inner silence" within the brain is something that feels kind of soothing and pleasing. Also if you're more of the hyperactive kind you're maybe going to enjoy the feeling of slight tiredness after exercise as well.

But even with exercise bikes, the popular ones are based on classes where you're supposed to follow the workout on the screen. Plus, they are expensive and take up a lot of space.

The space can indeed be a problem. The programs you don't have to use. As for the price: if you can afford it - it's a piece of equipment you're going to use for quite a few years to come.

Edited by summerset

2 hours ago, Jaelzion said:

I don't understand why anyone would think they even have standing to have an opinion about someone else's weight loss goal?

I think it's more of a "as long as you don't have a BMI of 21 or less you have to keep your mouth shut"-thing.

Like anything you write while having a BMI of 28 is not even worth thinking about but it suddenly becomes gospel when the same is written by someone having a BMI of 20.

I had someone say “Don’t you want to do better than that?” when I said my goal was to be back to a size 10/12. 😑 I am almost 5’10 & 55 years old. I also KNOW I look and feel really good & healthy at this size. I guess double digits=HUGE to her but...whatever!

after weighing close to 400 lbs, I would have been ecstatic to even make it to 200!

Best advice I've heard came from a bariatric surgeon:

"You/we don't know your goal weight yet; you won't choose your goal weight- it will choose you and you'll know it when you find it. "

I'm 183 today & have more to lose but I literally could not be the 119 I was in high school now. At this weight I'm a size 12, sometimes a 10 & a L legging, sometimes a medium. I'd look sickly at 119 today.

Everyone needs to live in their bodies, not just display them so what society says "looks good" & what's healthy are not the same thing.

Lots of love and empowering vibes to everyone 💜

Ruthpets I’m also 5’10 and seriously people do not understand how different heights of people affect clothing size. When I was in those sizes I looked great. It’s the same people who think that anything over 150 for a woman is inconceivable.

I will have you all know that my goal is my birth weight- 9 lbs 6 oz or bust!! I’m gonna fit into that duck onesie again and I’ll just be the ultimate weight loss winner for life. 🎉