Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today's Rant: Bariatric Surgery Lies

Myth One: I’m going to FINALLY be a NORMAL weight!

A few people get there, but most don’t.

In general, the success of weight-loss surgery is sometimes defined as achieving a 50 percent or more loss of excess body weight and maintaining that level for at least five years.

So…let’s say you’re a 5’5” woman whose normal weight should be around 150….and you weigh 250 pounds. If you have bariatric surgery and get down to 200 pounds and maintain that for five years…you’re a success.

According to a University of Michigan study of bariatric patients over seven years:

Normal weight (BMI less than 25) was achieved by 2.3–6.8% of patients.

47% of patients achieved a BMI less than 30.

And this of course, means about half of people who do bariatric surgery never make it to a BMI under 30.

And I know this sounds REALLY FATALISTIC…but in all honesty, ANY weight you lose is so good for your health. Even 10% weight reduction is associated with tremendous health benefits. The surgery IS an invaluable tool. I don't mean to diminish that.

I'm just saying... Bariatric patients get sold on this idea that weight loss surgery is salvation, that everyone gets skinny and healthy and that you never have a bad relationship with food again. There is this false idea that everyone is transformed and lives happily ever after, that food will never again be a challenge and that you can't end up right back where you started....which, very realistically, you can. And many people do:(

There is this unspoken idea that you'd have to be a serious screw-up to gain weight after bariatric surgery. Guess who gains weight eventually after surgery? Almost everyone. You still have to pay attention. You still have to log your food and watch the scale and keep track of your triggers and not escape into denial. You still have to work on your mental problems with food. Fixing your stomach doesn't fix your head. The first year, you're all honeymoon dreamy and nothing is a temptation. The second year, the third year, the fifth year....things get a little tougher.

Am I trying to talk folks out of it? Absolutely not. This surgery is an amazing tool. But that's all it is. The whole equation of solving the problem is a lot bigger and more compex.

For what it's worth...my two cents...

Work hard, be consistent, be patient. The best outcomes are achieved by folks who keep at it, who are unphased by losing slowly, who create livable realistic changes in their eating habits that are permanent.

Avoid extremes. Extremes don't last. Extreme low calories, extreme exercise, extreme food choice limits, extreme structure...backfires. Life demands moderation and flexability. Don't punish yourself. Gently modify your life with workable new goals that you can stick with. Make livable changes that endure. And when you screw up (everyone will) pick yourself, dust yourself off, and get back to work. Don't waste energy on guilt or anger at self. Just get back to work. Modify. Adjust. Livable permanent change is your goal.

Myth 2:

People won't be physically hungry anymore.

Is that a fairly new thing surgeons tell their patients? I was never told that; on the contrary the surgeon said that I would be hungry and I was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't, lol. Physical hunger signals are either not that strong or I'm used to ignoring them. Maybe a mix of both, no idea.

I don't think that this makes things necessarily easier though. When you're not really hungry and know when to start eating - how do you know when to stop eating once you started? I think this is an interesting question, especially since I despise all of this tracking. For some reason it makes me prone to eating more?

2 hours ago, summerset said:

Myth 2:

People won't be physically hungry anymore.

Is that a fairly new thing surgeons tell their patients? I was never told that; on the contrary the surgeon said that I would be hungry and I was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't, lol. Physical hunger signals are either not that strong or I'm used to ignoring them. Maybe a mix of both, no idea.

I don't think that this makes things necessarily easier though. When you're not really hungry and know when to start eating - how do you know when to stop eating once you started? I think this is an interesting question, especially since I despise all of this tracking. For some reason it makes me prone to eating more?

a lot of people do seem to lose their hunger for a few months. I did for five months. I was pretty bummed when it came roaring back. It definitely made things more challenging.

14 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

a lot of people do seem to lose their hunger for a few months. I did for five months. I was pretty bummed when it came roaring back. It definitely made things more challenging.

I did too for most of the first year. It's back but it's a lot more tame than the monster I used to deal with, LOL.

If I don't get to "normal weight" in 6 months then I'm going to try some "extreme" methods because I won't "be hungry"

...just kidding.... mostly.... :)

Edited by XtinaDoesIt

7 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

All things in moderation, including moderation.

pretzel logic

🥨

6 hours ago, OAGBPal said:

ONE LENTIL A DAY FOR YOU MISSY! And then make some threads about "am I eating too much? I'm at 60 calories this month!1!" :D

Saddest thing is: I'm sure there would be some people answering that question with "Yes!!". 😂

You will have to exercise to get to your goal. Ummmm not true. I have not exercised at all due to my ailments, I can not do much physical exercise or I would be in too much pain. I am only 3 lbs. away from my goal, as of this mornings weigh in.

5 hours ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

You will have to exercise to get to your goal. Ummmm not true. I have not exercised at all due to my ailments, I can not do much physical exercise or I would be in too much pain. I am only 3 lbs. away from my goal, as of this mornings weigh in.

I was between 3k steps and 5k steps 4 times a week if that because of my fibro and arthritis. And you know what? I went from 271lb to 148. So yup you don’t HAVE to hit the gym every day

I don’t hit the gym everyday, probably 4 times a week. But when I go I hit it hard.