Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to have surgery!

I should also mention that we had two separate surgeries. I had the duodenal switch surgery and my fiance had the gastric sleeve. I had very few medical complications pre-op and he had a lot of medical complications pre-op so every surgery is different.

OP, it’s like I could have written this myself. You are echoing so many of my concerns and fears - I am scheduled for vsg 3/30. It’s like a roller coaster where I will feel confident and ready and then in disbelief that I’m even considering it. I think it’s all up to you and your intentions for having surgery. If you feel like it’s right for you, you will feel good going forward and willing to deal with the hopefully minor negative outcomes, should they even happen.

On 3/10/2021 at 6:06 AM, Blueslily said:

Hello all,

I am scheduled for the sleeve surgery in April. I was feeling excited about having surgery until two weeks ago. I have been watching a ton of videos on YouTube and reading lots of posting on here. Now I am SCARED! I understand that every person has a unique experience, and I had done lots of research before and during the four month weight loss program that I had to go through per my insurance requirements. But now, when I read stuff and watch videos, I get scared and am doubting that I should put my body through a surgery. I'm having the surgery for medical reasons versus a desire to be a certain number on the scale or to look a certain way. I want to improve my health and hopefully reduce risk of having additional health issues.

Help! I read that people go through brief moments of regret or "what rid I do" right after surgery, but I'm scared before. Nervous that I will be the unlucky person to get all the negative consequences or side effects. Thinking about pushing surgery back a couple weeks. Just seems I want to do that for some reason. I have up to early May to get it done per my insurance.

What do you all think, recommend, etc.?

Thanks!

I just did mine yesterday and zero regrets. I too don't really care about the number on the scale - I care about getting my diabetes under control, my high blood pressure, my cholesterol and my newly found sleep apnea. I take 3 different insulins, 3 different blood pressure pill, 1 cholesterol pill and a bunch of other stuff - I did this to kick at least some of these meds. I think it is normal to be worried (you are human). Just remember why you sought out the surgery in the first place. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you select.

My biggest fear was the pain. However they had me on really good meds after surgery and a pain pump and I didn't feel a thing. The worst part for me was waking up right after surgery and having the gas pains from them pumping me full of air. they actually wanted me to stay 3 days in the hospital and I ended up going home after 2:00 because I had a horrible roommate that kept trying to smoke in the hospital so I checked out early

I haven’t read all the comments on your post, but I’m going to guess that most of us will say “this is the best thing I’ve ever done for myself.” Its normal to question your decision, but do not let your fear hold you back from a life you deserve.

As you said everyone has their own experience, but I will tell you that I had Almost zero bad side effects. Not even gas pain after surgery. I walked 4 laps around the hospital floor as soon as I slept off the anesthesia. I did vomit one or two times within hours of the surgery, may have been a reaction to anesthesia or just my stomach going “WTF!!” But that was it. I am 8 months out and haven’t vomited one time from eating, no stomach problems, insane energy and happiness, confidence, and 106+ lbs gone.

Do the surgery. You deserve it.

On 3/11/2021 at 2:47 PM, newyorklady20 said:

OP, it’s like I could have written this myself. You are echoing so many of my concerns and fears - I am scheduled for vsg 3/30. It’s like a roller coaster where I will feel confident and ready and then in disbelief that I’m even considering it. I think it’s all up to you and your intentions for having surgery. If you feel like it’s right for you, you will feel good going forward and willing to deal with the hopefully minor negative outcomes, should they even happen.

Thanks. Good luck and sending you positive vibes for sure! I like that I'm scheduled during the spring. Good time for outdoor walks after being cooped up so long during the pandemic.

On 3/12/2021 at 11:48 PM, FindYourFire said:

I haven’t read all the comments on your post, but I’m going to guess that most of us will say “this is the best thing I’ve ever done for myself.” Its normal to question your decision, but do not let your fear hold you back from a life you deserve.

As you said everyone has their own experience, but I will tell you that I had Almost zero bad side effects. Not even gas pain after surgery. I walked 4 laps around the hospital floor as soon as I slept off the anesthesia. I did vomit one or two times within hours of the surgery, may have been a reaction to anesthesia or just my stomach going “WTF!!” But that was it. I am 8 months out and haven’t vomited one time from eating, no stomach problems, insane energy and happiness, confidence, and 106+ lbs gone.

Do the surgery. You deserve it.

Thank you sooo much! Congrats to you. I'm feeling better after receiving so many inspiring responses and seeing my surgeon again. I'm also feeling better about the timing of the surgery. Spring is a good time for recovery and COVID seems to be getting a little better.

I will say that just Friday there was a small crisis related to changing my plans for a driver for surgery and not wanting my family to find out from my brother who will most likely be my driver (and only knows I am having some type of surgery). But, I'm working through all that. I am very private and dont want to answer questions or explain myself to anyone. I'm going to meet with the therapist to work through some of that stuff. But, I'm full speed ahead with surgery. it is for me and my future!

Thanks

On 3/11/2021 at 3:04 PM, LoveSimcha said:

I just did mine yesterday and zero regrets. I too don't really care about the number on the scale - I care about getting my diabetes under control, my high blood pressure, my cholesterol and my newly found sleep apnea. I take 3 different insulins, 3 different blood pressure pill, 1 cholesterol pill and a bunch of other stuff - I did this to kick at least some of these meds. I think it is normal to be worried (you are human). Just remember why you sought out the surgery in the first place. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you select.

How are you doing so far?

For me it helped to Look at percentages of those complications. For the most part you are more likely to die in a car accident than from this surgery. Yes you are a little more likely to have one of the scary complications but it is something you have and you go to hospital and you get through it and then it’s in the past. But so are whatever health reasons you had for having this surgery to begin with and if you look at percentages there you are at a WAY higher risk to do nothing. Hope that makes sense and helps a little. It is scary and normal to have doubts. I had them all the way to the operating room. But my excitement for my new life outweighed my fears and as long as that’s true I knew it was the right choice for me.

On 3/14/2021 at 8:28 AM, Blueslily said:

Thank you sooo much! Congrats to you. I'm feeling better after receiving so many inspiring responses and seeing my surgeon again. I'm also feeling better about the timing of the surgery. Spring is a good time for recovery and COVID seems to be getting a little better.

I will say that just Friday there was a small crisis related to changing my plans for a driver for surgery and not wanting my family to find out from my brother who will most likely be my driver (and only knows I am having some type of surgery). But, I'm working through all that. I am very private and dont want to answer questions or explain myself to anyone. I'm going to meet with the therapist to work through some of that stuff. But, I'm full speed ahead with surgery. it is for me and my future!

Thanks

Someone told me hiatal hernia or heartburn surgery explains the eating habits after the fact if you must not tell the truth.

On 3/14/2021 at 8:29 AM, Blueslily said:

How are you doing so far?

I am doing really well honestly. The worst part for me? I have had the poops (sorry TMI). I don't really have a want to eat (probably because more of the bathroom issues lol). I didn't have pain but some mild discomfort. I feel so good - I am 6 days post op. I have to force myself to drink but that is OK. My back is hurting a lot less, the swelling in my legs have gone down tremendously, I am sleeping better - overall I feel great! I do like a mid afternoon cat nap this past week 😊😊😊😊

On 3/12/2021 at 5:22 AM, victoriaciminelli111 said:

My biggest fear was the pain. However they had me on really good meds after surgery and a pain pump and I didn't feel a thing. The worst part for me was waking up right after surgery and having the gas pains from them pumping me full of air. they actually wanted me to stay 3 days in the hospital and I ended up going home after 2:00 because I had a horrible roommate that kept trying to smoke in the hospital so I checked out early

Goodness. Who tries to smoke in a hospital room. Man.