Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to have surgery!

Hello all,

I am scheduled for the sleeve surgery in April. I was feeling excited about having surgery until two weeks ago. I have been watching a ton of videos on YouTube and reading lots of posting on here. Now I am SCARED! I understand that every person has a unique experience, and I had done lots of research before and during the four month weight loss program that I had to go through per my insurance requirements. But now, when I read stuff and watch videos, I get scared and am doubting that I should put my body through a surgery. I'm having the surgery for medical reasons versus a desire to be a certain number on the scale or to look a certain way. I want to improve my health and hopefully reduce risk of having additional health issues.

Help! I read that people go through brief moments of regret or "what rid I do" right after surgery, but I'm scared before. Nervous that I will be the unlucky person to get all the negative consequences or side effects. Thinking about pushing surgery back a couple weeks. Just seems I want to do that for some reason. I have up to early May to get it done per my insurance.

What do you all think, recommend, etc.?

Thanks!

Postponing it won’t change anything, will just give you more time to be worried. Part of the problem with these forums is it gives an unrealistic picture of potential problems. Very few people post “hey this has been easy and I have zero complications… what do I do?” It’s a little like reading product reviews… people are far more likely to leave a review if they have a bad experience vs an expected normal experience.

But here’s a positive “review” of my surgery experience that is true….

I had vsg and had zero problems. I drove to Mexico with a pocket full of cash during a pandemic and had a surgical procedure performed and had to use Google translate to communicate. I had zero complications, the results have been amazing. it was so easy that I sometimes feel like I took the easy way out but I don’t give a damn because I’m healthier and happier about myself than I have been since I was in elementary school in the 80s. I haven’t thrown up, I haven’t had any issues with food not agreeing with me. I haven’t exercised or walked any more than a typical adult and the weight just fell off with no effort. I’m now considered healthy, my doctor is happy my family is happy and I’m happy. I wish I did it sooner and I’m glad I didn’t postpone it.

I had some of the same worries many of us do. “This is going to be forever. Do I really need to do this to my body. Once it’s done there’s no going back. What if x y or z happens.” Those are typical thoughts. What is not typical? Having serious complications. It’s exceedingly rare. It is a common procedure and I’d bet your surgeon has done it 1000s of times, I bet his assistants have helped 1000s of times, and I bet everyone who is there to support you in the hospital has seen and dealt with 1000s of people who were worse off and pulled through because of their care and dedication. And I’d also bet that when it’s all finished, a year from today you’ll think “I wish I did this sooner.”

It’s normal to be scared, YOU haven’t done this 1000 times, but the people around you that you need to get through this have. We have too (collectively), and post op we will be here to help with any bumps and bruises and worries and anything else you may have questions about. Not having problems is certainly not a guarantee anyone can give you. Having complications from being too big is also not a guarantee. But the odds speak for themselves… you’re far more likely to have serious complications from being too big vs having gastric surgery. It’s your call to choose which set of potential problems you wish to live with though. Either way we’re here to help you as you decide.

I was scared of having a heart attack while playing with my grandchildren. Surgery is a breeze, and recovery is temporary. You got this.

It's completely normal to be scared. However, you decided to do this for a reason. Trust me when I say that you will likely regret it if you back out. There was this one lady I remember that was having her pre-op appointment at the same time as me. She was talking in the waiting room about how she'd gone through the entire process three times already only to back out at the last minute because she was scared. That was her FOURTH time! Now, I don't know if she had her surgery or if she backed out again, but the fact that she was there after backing out three times tells me that she knew that she couldn't lose the weight on her own and she needed the help that surgery offered her, but she let her fear get the best of her every time. But clearly she wanted it if she kept going through the processes again, and again, and again... Don't let fear stop you! The longer you put it off, the more you dwell in your head and the fear will just get worse. That's my advice. However, this is your life, and YOUR choice. You have to be the one who lives with whatever decision you make...

I am about to have surgery (in 5 days) and I have had some of the same thoughts as you. However, I always go back and think to myself, "all my efforts to maintain a healthy weight on my own have failed, and I have been acquiring more and more weight-related health issues." Overall, I decided to view this almost as a 'once in a lifetime opportunity' because of these reasons.

Major complications aren't very common. Many (I would say most) of us have no complications at all - or only minor ones that are "fixable". The above poster is right in that people are far more likely to post when they have a negative experience than a positive one, so it gives the perception that problems are a lot more widespread than they actually are. I read horror stories a couple weeks before surgery, too, and they scared the crap out of me, so I made myself stop reading them. I'm very grateful that I had my surgery and would do it again in a heartbeat. I was afraid if I stayed at almost 400 lbs I wouldn't live to see my 60th birthday. But here I am - 60th birthday come and gone - and healthier and more active than I've been in years.

I'm a statistics girl.

Am I statistically more likely to die of surgery complications, or of health complications from being morbidly obsese?

I crunched those numbers and decided the benefits pretty clearly outweigh the risks.

Whatever you choose, you have to live with the consequences....and both decisions carry risk.

Which risk is worse?

Whatever you decide...best wishes to you!

Hello all,
I am scheduled for the sleeve surgery in April. I was feeling excited about having surgery until two weeks ago. I have been watching a ton of videos on YouTube and reading lots of posting on here. Now I am SCARED! I understand that every person has a unique experience, and I had done lots of research before and during the four month weight loss program that I had to go through per my insurance requirements. But now, when I read stuff and watch videos, I get scared and am doubting that I should put my body through a surgery. I'm having the surgery for medical reasons versus a desire to be a certain number on the scale or to look a certain way. I want to improve my health and hopefully reduce risk of having additional health issues.
Help! I read that people go through brief moments of regret or "what rid I do" right after surgery, but I'm scared before. Nervous that I will be the unlucky person to get all the negative consequences or side effects. Thinking about pushing surgery back a couple weeks. Just seems I want to do that for some reason. I have up to early May to get it done per my insurance.
Thanks!

Give it God!! I don't know your beliefs but I will be praying for your comfort in this time and that he gives a settle mind. You got this!!!! Your doing this for YOU and YOUR HEALTH you don't have room for negative thoughts, negative thoughts didn't get you this far YOU GOT THIS!!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT. BLESSINGS

Sent from my SM-S515DL using BariatricPal mobile app

38 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

I'm a statistics girl.

Am I statistically more likely to die of surgery complications, or of health complications from being morbidly obsese?

I crunched those numbers and decided the benefits pretty clearly outweigh the risks.

Whatever you choose, you have to live with the consequences....and both decisions carry risk.

Which risk is worse?

Whatever you decide...best wishes to you!

Exactly.

Then, whatever you decide, hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

6 hours ago, Blueslily said:

Hello all,

Thanks!

I have had zero regrets and wish I had done this sooner!! That is my only regret.

6 minutes ago, Tim C said:

I have had zero regrets and wish I had done this sooner!! That is my only regret.

Oh and this is just me. Everyone is different but I had no pain other than gas in the hospital. I have been pain free since.

Oh and this is just me. Everyone is different but I had no pain other than gas in the hospital. I have been pain free since.
Yes I heard of the gas pain, so I'm taking notes before friday[emoji847]

6 minutes ago, Shanell said:

Yes I heard of the gas pain, so I'm taking notes before fridayemoji847.png

Get some dry mouth spray. You WILL need it after surgery. They sell at CVS in their own brand and Biotene. You can look on line and see if the store near you has it. Walk walk walk when you wake up. You will also have a hard time peeing until your bladder wakes up. Drink as much Water as possible.

Edited by Tim C

Get some dry mouth spray. You WILL need it after surgery. They sell at CVS in their own brand and Biotene. You can look on line and see if the store near you has it. Walk walk walk when you wake up. You will also have a hard time peeing until your bladder wakes up. Drink as much Water as possible.
OKAY!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH [emoji176]