Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rice, Pasta, Bread, etc

49 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

My stomach will only let me eat about a forkful of Pasta or rice

Wow, after all this time?

I still don’t eat rice Pasta or bread. Nor do I eat alternatives like wraps. I did try a soybean pasta that others here recommended a couple of months back but it didn’t sit well & was too filling. I was surprised though at how well it cooks & tasted similar to wheat pasta - way better than vegetables pastas did years ago. I have tried cauliflower rice & use zucchini noodles a lot.

I used to eat quite a lot of bread, rice & pasta so I happily avoid them now cause I think they contributed to my previous weight. It’s odd but I don’t really miss them.

Once you get close to goal you start working out what foods you can or can’t eat to maintain your weight. Introduce foods which have been off the menu while you were losing & see how they go. Try different eating plans or foods you never ate before. You don’t have to exactly follow what your dietician says to eat. If you don’t want to eat a certain food, ask your dietician for suggestions for alternatives. Finding nutritionally sound foods while still meeting your goals is the key.

Good luck.

On 2/18/2021 at 2:53 PM, HealthyLifeStyle said:

My doc told me not to eat rice, Pasta, bread, etc. I was told that these things can stretch out your pouch?

What's their reasoning for this? How can Pasta, rice and bread stretch your pouch but not other foods? I smell bullcrap.

Did anyone eat pasta, or rice at this point? If so, how was it on your belly?

I ate all kinds of carbs during weight loss phase. But that's me. Everyone's different.

Just now, summerset said:

What's their reasoning for this? How can Pasta, rice and bread stretch your pouch but not other foods? I smell bullcrap.

I ate all kinds of carbs during weight loss phase. But that's me. Everyone's different.

They told me the reason is that Pasta, rice, and bread all expand in your belly. What kinds of carbs did you eat? Everything?

2 minutes ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

What kinds of carbs did you eat? Everything?

Basically, yes.

With rice you simply have to cook it in enough Water, same with e. g. oats. Pasta, I'm more a fan of bean pasta, but I ate and eat "regular" e. g. at restaurants. Breads, no problem (started with crisp breads though). Sugary stuff I have to be careful because there could be dumping, but yes, I eat simple sugars.

Some people shun carbohydrate rich foods because they think they "make/made them fat" or that they "slow down weight loss". I'm not one of them. I believe in CICO, not in low-carb or Keto magic. Eat less than your TDEE and you're going to lose weight.

But what about "the insulin"? Protein rich foods cause release of insulin from the pancreas' cells as well. Look for "insulin index" on a search engine about this one. Beef, fish and cheese cause more of an insulin spike than pasta. So much for this.

1 minute ago, summerset said:

Basically, yes.

With rice you simply have to cook it in enough Water, same with e. g. oats. Pasta, I'm more a fan of bean Pasta, but I ate and eat "regular" e. g. at restaurants. Breads, no problem (started with crisp breads though). Sugary stuff I have to be careful because there could be dumping, but yes, I eat simple sugars.

Some people shun carbohydrate rich foods because they think they "make/made them fat" or that they "slow down weight loss". I'm not one of them. I believe in CICO, not in low-carb or Keto magic. Eat less than your TDEE and you're going to lose weight.

But what about "the insulin"? Protein rich foods cause release of insulin from the pancreas' cells as well. Look for "insulin index" on a search engine about this one. Beef, fish and cheese cause more of an insulin spike than pasta. So much for this.

Wow, I never thought of it like that. I am looking fwd to having real pasta soon. I am craving it. Of course, I know I will only be able to eat a little without getting full.

I’m not a big Pasta fan but I do eat rice and crispy toasted breads. I find that toasted bread sits better. In either instance both rice and toast (along with crackers and chips) are slider foods for me so I have to be careful not to overeat.

On 2/18/2021 at 8:53 AM, HealthyLifeStyle said:

So I am now close to being 6 months post op. My doc told me not to eat rice, Pasta, bread, etc. I was told that these things can stretch out your pouch? My nutritionist, on the other hand said I could try whole wheat pita bread. She also agreed with the doc, and told me not to eat rice, or Pasta. I am craving pasta so bad! I was a big pasta eater before the surgery, having it at least 2-3 times a week. Did anyone eat pasta, or rice at this point? If so, how was it on your belly?

Ok so what it is, is the white breads and grains expand in our stomach. Whole grains don’t expand as much. I personally can’t tolerate any of them and I am approaching my 1 year

8 hours ago, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

In either instance both rice and toast (along with crackers and chips) are slider foods for me so I have to be careful not to overeat.

Rice would be my go-to diet food. Fills me up in no time and for long with not much calories. When it comes to Protein oats or soy skyr, I can eat a truckload. 45 g or 50 g of protein in one sitting? No problem.

People simply need to try what slides through and what not.

I highly recommend watching some of Dr. Weiner's videos for myth busting around WLS. I've read about "stretching the pouch" too much on this thread already.

17 hours ago, summerset said:

If you're concerned about protein: try bean Pasta. I actually prefer it over "regular" Pasta.

My hubby bought me some Lentil spaghetti to try. I am kinda leery about it.

14 hours ago, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

I’m not a big Pasta fan but I do eat rice and crispy toasted breads. I find that toasted bread sits better. In either instance both rice and toast (along with crackers and chips) are slider foods for me so I have to be careful not to overeat.

What do you mean by "slider" foods?