Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Post-Op Thread

Congrats Jaymie!!!

We are so happy for your success. Keep up the great work. The popsicle was a perfect idea. I had one the day after surgery too and thought it was the best tasting thing I ever put in my mouth. Made me want to be 8 years old again:-))

Ok..so I'm new to all of this, and I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of the online thing, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

I had surgery on the 12th of December and it feels lightyears ago. My surgery went without any major surprises, except the next day--when I was released from the hospital, we had a major snowstorm here, in Boston. I never took any of the IV pain medication and my only pain (other than soreness around incisions and some tightness) was from the horrible tube in my throat. I know that it isn't a common practice among all dr.'s, so lucky me. It was the reason I couldn't sleep. I felt as though I had a lump in my throat constantly and had difficulty even swallowing my own saliva. I had to sit with my head in just the right position to avoid pain. Oh, and I guess my allergic reaction was a surprise, too, but nothing a few shots of benadryl couldn't cure. :)

So....because of the snow, my boyfriend took nearly 7 hours to come get me. (Dedicated guy, huh?!) We ended up staying at the Hojo's right down the street and I think the hospital bed may have been more comfortable. But it all worked out and I was in meetings for work on Friday.

I guess I should mention that I didn't tell anyone about my surgery. I know I probably should have...but quite frankly, I'm not sure why I haven't. I guess that it's shame. As a scholarship athlete in college, I never imagined that I'd go this route...but it must have been necessary, because my very first appointment was in the end of October and I had surgery less than 6 weeks later.

I realize I'm now rambling, but you'll have to just bear with me. I'm in a food coma. Let's be honest..I'm an eater. I wouldn't be in this situation if I wasn't! I have my first post-op appointment tomorrow and I'm a little worried about not losing much weight. I've been walking for 45 minutes a day on my new treadmill and even jogging for 30 second intervals. I'm only down about 10 pounds from my surgery date, but what a difference it makes! Will my dr. do anything during my first post op surgery to check on the band? In other words....I'm not going to have that barium thing again, am I?? I would expect that I would have been told not to eat prior to the surgery if that was the case, but I wasn't.

I'm also a little worried after reading other posts on here. I thought the only danger from eating again was stuff getting stuck, but apparently not. I've been eating since about 7 days out. Bad, I know...but I will get back on track today. I didn't realize the other dangers. And, of course, not having told anyone about my surgery (except my boyfriend) I guess it was easier to eat than to try to explain this away...

What can I expect from tomorrow's appointment? I'm going away in January, so I'm kind of hoping not to have a fill until after I get back. I'd hate to be in Aruba and not be able to have access to medical care should something go wrong and not be able to enjoy some food while I'm there.

Thanks for reading this far. I know I've babbled, but I feel like I'm at an initial consult for a new psychologist and trying to just catch you up to where I am today! I'm also still trying to figure out what the numbers mean at the end of your posts. I realize they're weights, but other than the first and last, I'm lost...

Thanks for any support, answers, and help you can provide. :thumbs_up:

Luv2teech,

Welcome aboard. This place can be a little overwhelming I'm sure. There is so much to absorb. Just take it a little at a time and don't try to compare yourself to everyone else.

It sounds like you had a great surgery experience except for the tube. Lucky you. The shoulder pain that some of us had was excruciating.

Don't worry too much about weight loss during this phase. Really, your body is just trying to heal itself. Most people would tell you that your band isn't even functioning right now, so don't worry about it.

As for the eating, I guess my suggestion is to follow doctor's orders. My doc was very specific about what I was able to eat when. They also gave me great explanations as to WHY I wasn't supposed to eat other things. If your doc didn't give you a diet to follow, I guess you're free and clear.

I haven't had a postop appointment yet. I will go in on the 8th for my first meeting with my dietician and a fill. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. I would be surprised if your doctor filled you only a couple weeks from surgery. It seems common practice to wait 4 - 6 weeks before they begin that. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy Aruba.

Welcome to the other side.

Steph

I forgot to add....the weight loss tickers

The to numbers on mine are BMI, bottom weight in pounds.

The first numbers are beginning, the middle current, and the end are goal. I am only updating mine when I have a doc appt. so I can go by his "official" scale, but I know I'm down a little more.

Steph

Steph,

Thanks for the help. I expect that since I've excluded so many in my life from sharing this experience with me...you'll all become more important to me every day. It's nice to know you're all here and can help me with what to expect. :) Happy New Year...finally, one without a resolution to make a change. :eek:

Hi all,

I was banded on 12/26/2007 ...and just thought I would let everyone know how I am doing.

First of all I had very little to NO pain from the moment I opened my eyes in post op. I hit the pain pump pretty regularly until they disconnected it :heh: just before my release.ahaha

I haven't needed:

Pain meds (not even liquid Tylenol)

Gas X strips (no gas pains)

Nausea meds (suppositories)

Heating pad for shoulder pain

BBQ tongs. (OMG gross...)

I have 5 incesions... only my port site is bruised and has 2 steri strips covering it. I guess the others are glued.

I left the hospital on Friday and went to work on Sat. (only a couple of hours) to do payroll and I'm at work today until noon. I stayed in the hospital 2 nights instead of just one because the nurses couldn't find the Dr.'s discharge p/w. DONT HAVE SURGERY DURING THE HOLIDAYS!!! The skeleton crew they had on duty didn't know anything. They kept giving me straws with every drink, Water, juice...

I FEEL GREAT... I have been doing my liquid Protein Drinks, Jello, water etc. Not much hunger, but I'm ready to take this baby on a trial run.

I'll post again soon.

I'm just back from my first Post-op visit....apparently I'm still not supposed to be doing any "heavy lifting"...but those who work with or have children know THAT won't be avoided. I'm now allowed to officially have soft foods. I guess I can start realy working out again in 3 more weeks and I'll have my first fill in 4 weeks. So..with all of that said...like you, Kennergirl, I didn't use any of those prescriptions I had to fill. I worried I might have to make use of those "silver bullets", but quite frankly, putting it where it goes would have been worse than how I felt!

I'm not hungry, but boy, do I miss eating!! I'm headed out for New Year's dinner and expect it'll be a relatively low key meal. Fortunately, I'm not big on champagne so I won't miss it. I hope you all have a great New Year's. Looking forward to having less of me in 2008. :scared:

Hi ladies,

8 days out

Had my post-op today,surgicul tape remove, my incisions look like scratch marks, tape was not removed from port site.

I am doing well, a little tired after long days out. I am not hungry! have been on only liquids, broth, cranberry juice, Jello and Water.

the Dr. wants me to start on Protein based liquids which includes cream of wheat,cream Soups, yogurt and Protein Drink. I just cant do it. I tried it on day 3 and was uncomfortable for the rest of the day and had a little sliming, I never want to feel that again. I tried again yesterday and watered down my cream Soup and made 3 meals out of it. uncomfortable, but no sliming

I did go to pollo loco today with my hubby and ordered their soup, I asked for pure broth, there were a few tiny tiny peices of carrot and I was able to eat them.

today per docs instruction I made a protien drink, it now taste to sweet and I could only drink 2 ozs. I will finish the rest tonight.

I return to work on Monday, hubbys worried because I am not eating much, I will continue to work on it.

enough already, I am glad everyone is doing well.

lets see want the next few weeks bring us.

SC

Polo loco ... I LOVE that place. Every time I go to Miami, I HAVE to eat there. they have the BEST chicken ever. I would love to have a recipe similar to theirs. Any ideas???

Had my surgery on Jan 3rd, yesterday at TLBC in Toronto. I was suppose to be there at 10 with the surgery scheduled at 11, things were delayed a bit. I finally checked in 11:45. Thank god my mother was there with me calming down.

Dr Yau was great came in and spoke to me and my mother, he allowed me to ask questions and showed me where my port was going to be.

In total I lost 16 pounds in the preop too exicted about that.

The nurses were wonderful, making me laugh with jokes that I barely remember now, while the antheslogist put in the IV drip. After putting in the oxgyen mask and literally couple of minutes later I was out.

Next thing I remember is another great nurse standing by me and I am in recovery, very drowsy with some shoulder pain. She told me not to panic if I saw blood on my hands. Supposedly I got pretty active while I was under, yelled and pulled out my IV. I was so embarrsed and there was lots of blood on my dress.

It took sometime but I got out of it in a hour or so and headed home. The shoulder pain subsided by late evening with warm heat packs and the pain medication I got.

The pain medication helps alot one everyone 4 hours. I am still sore today but walking around and that helps.

I can barely believe that I did this finally, the surgery took less than 20 minutes which I am glad about.

Good luck everyone

Hi everyone! I just saw this post. I was banded on 12/17 and everything went well, and so far so good. Looking forward to reading and sharing advice with all of you. Finally, I have people that can relate to me, and my family won't sit there and look at me funny when I say something bad-related!

I was banded on 12/29 by Dr Aceves and it went very well.

Unfortunately, I've had a hard time since I've been home - some of it caused because I wasn't getting enough Protein, but that is better since I now have the Unjury powder in just about everything I'm consuming.

My port site started weeping Friday afternoon, but according to everyone I've spoken with from my doctor's office its normal. Thankfully they were much more reassuring than my Kaiser Urgent Care who basically told me to get back to my surgeon ASAP. I encountered the worst RNP there on Friday night who questioned my intelligence in having the riskiest procedure of them all (the lapband), and further adding to it by having it in Mexico. It was just an awful visit.

The day before I was also at my doctor's office - this time getting tests for DVT (positive) and the subsequent ultrasound on my leg (negative), then an EKG, - oh it just went on and on - all told I was in and out of my doctor's office and Kaiser's Hospital from 9:30 am to finally walking thru my home at 4pm. I only had a special k protein Water the entire day so I was a mess as well.

I'm actually going to try and go to work tomorrow. I am still worrying whether I've done the right thing or not for myself and obviously that stress isn't helping much to recovery. I just hope it gets better - soon.

Sorry that you had such a hard time so far. Apart from that RNP being an utter bitch, she/he was also wrong about "the riskiest procedure of them all (the lapband)". Every study I've read (and I'd bet every one you'd find in a google search) says that the risks are MUCH higher with both the gastric bypass and the VSG surgeries. I'd ignore one person's ignorance, if I were you :)

Hang in there - it will get better!

I agree. I had a cousin that had the RNY and she had such a hard time. I've heard of so many people that have major complications afterwards. I didn't hear that about the lapband. That is part of the reason I chose the lapband. Some people just DON'T know what they are talking about. That nurse has problems. I wouldn't even give her another thought. Just hang in there, and know that there ARE people here who understand.