Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Post-Op Thread

I have been a wimp too, up until today. My surgery was tuesday, and tuesday and wednesday it took all I had to make myself even check emails. The worst pain I had was last night, and it wasn't surgery pain, it was gas pain. It hurt tremedously when I would burp, and I could feel my stomach rolling around. I had not taken any of my pain medication, but I broke down and took some last night before bed. It made me sleep terrible. I tossed and turned all night, dreamed strange dreams and never felt completely asleep. But, all the tossing and turning must have moved the gas around. My shoulder doesn't even hurt today and the burping doesn't give me the same uncomfortable feeling. So, I must have had trapped gas under my stomach. I woke up this morning feeling great with lots of energy. I'm in the kitchen cleaning. I hope this is encouragement to someone else.

I have finally joined the world of the banded! Yesterday morning was my surgery and my doc said I was one of the easiest band he's ever done. I was/am sore, but I have the gas pain in my chest. It's starting to go away, though. My port site is the sorest, which was expected. I still feel a little out of it and week. I keep making typos as I write this.

Even though I knew that the band would not be filled, I was expecting to not feel hunger because of the swelling of the stomach. I don't really feel any different hunger-wise as before. I am already ready for a fill in 6 weeks.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

congrats to everyone I will be banded in 3hrs will report back as soon as I can. next time I talk to u guys I will be with my new shinny band

Greetings! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only wimp! After speaking with other bandsters, I thought that my recuperation would be a little easier. But, the indigestion and gas are the worst!

My surgery was on 12/4 and I'm ready to feel better and stop watching bad daytime tv... Still not having any buyer's remorse though and love not being hungry!

Please tell me that it gets better!

Welcome everyone! I love hearing from all the "newbie banders". There are no whimps - this WAS a major thing . . . and everyone feels differently right afterwards .. .but it does get better! I actually slept on my stomach last night for the first time . . . and slept right through (was banded on Monday). Yea! What I'm liking even more is this: I weighted 291 two hours before my surgery, was 297 when I got home (IV's) . . . and this morning am 285!!!! Oh I think I'm LOVING this band!

Chris

Got home today - no pain, just some soreness at incision sights. I could even put on my shoes and socks. I came home and took a nap in my bed on my side - no problems whatsover.

I got to the hospital at 6:00 for scheduled 8:00 surgery. Straight to pre-op room with my family. Wheeled to surgery around 7:15. Told everything was ready at 7:35 - just waiting for surgeon so they could knock me out. Dr. came in a 7:40, talked to me and said let's go. Woke up in recover at 9:35 with hiatal hernial repaired and 5 incisions. Not much pain at all. Got to my room at 10:50 and stayed awake all day. Only used morphine drip for first 3 hours and then not that often. Fell asleep around 10:30 last night but only really catnapped all night between bladder and their taking vitals. Got up to use the bathroom as soon as I got to room - again no problems. Was told I could be released at 10:00 this morning but asked if I could take a nap first. They had removed my boots so I was able to nap on my side and slept hard for 90 minutes. Got dressed and went home.

Hey all,

I was banded on Tuesday, Dec 4th. Sorry it's taken so long to get my post on here. I've been really busy trying to get caught up on my school work.

Surgery went really well. Arrived at 8:00 am for 9:30 surgery. Called me back around 8:10. Got in my gown and in the bed. IV's hooked up, waiting on the doctor to come see me before surgery. I was the 2nd one of the day. Doctor came spoke a few words asked if I had any questions..nope I was fine...hubby had questions. Just a couple minutes later the nurse was coming in to put something in my IV to relax me. Then here they come to take me to the operating room. I remember sliding onto the operating table and having them put warm blankets over my arms and chest. The anesthesiologist came in and put the mask over my face.

Next thing I know, I am in recovery. She said something about my blood pressure being too high. She hooked up my cpap and put it on me. Blood pressure went down. Surgery took a little longer than expected due to a hiatial hernia repair. I was back in my post-op room at 12:30. Around 2:00 Doc came in to check on me. He brought me the cutest stuffed teddy bear! I told him I was doing fine. He said he would be back around later.

Around 3:45 they took me for my x-ray. The stuff that I had to drink was terrible and it made me sick. X-ray was okay. I got back in bed and the nurse put something in my IV to help with the nausea. I dozed on and off for the next hour or so. The nurse came back in and said the doctor had looked at the x-ray and said I could have something to drink. She brought me some lemon-aid crystal light. God that was soooo good. Doc came back in to check on me to see if the liquid was staying down. Asked if there were anymore questions. I said no. He said ok then you're ready to go. I'll see you in one week for your post-op. I got dressed and we left the hospital at 5:45.

On the way home, hubby stopped by his sister's restaurant to pick up dinner for him and the boys. The smell of the food made me so sick. When we pulled in Eckerd's to leave the prescription for pain, I threw up all over the sidewalk. About a half cup of crystal light. By the time we got home I was fine. After my tummy settled I had some sugar free Jello. It stayed down fine.

I started having a little pain around 11:00 pm. He prescribed liquid lortab. I had to sleep on my back, but I did manage to get a few good hours in.

Wednesday I was really sore. My mom came down and stayed with me. I had a sugar-free popscicle for Breakfast, 1/2 cup of chicken broth at lunch and another 1/2 cup of broth for dinner.

Thursday was better. I managed to get to the kitchen and fix me a Protein shake at 6:30am. Didn't get hungry again until around 4:00, ate cottage cheese at this time. For dinner I had Tomato Soup.

Friday has been really good. I managed to sleep on my side last night! The pain hasn't been bad at all. I haven't taken any pain meds since Thursday morning. I've been really busy today..I took my test that was due before midnight and made a 92. One more essay to write and the quarter is finished! Today's meals consisted of cream of wheat, cottage cheese and a Protein Shake. Pain is almost gone. Just a little in my lower right side. I can't see my incisions, he has gauze over them. The gauze strips are so small. I have just a small amount of blood on three of them. My bruising is very minimal. Just a small amount around two incision sites. I am laying on my tummy across the bed writing this post!

Overall, I think I am doing really well. I am very pleased with my experience so far. I was 314 just before surgery. This morning I was 308!

Sorry this post is so long....I am pretty good at giving details!!

Good luck to the rest of you!

I arrived at the hospital at 9:00am filled out all finally paperwork, IV was start> was rolled to the back about 10:30am and was home at 1:30pm I have almost no pain(I think I take taking the paim Meds before the pain starts helps for me) the only problem is the gas pain oh boy that was bad , feels like a elephant is setting on my chest I ma now take gas x for that.I have been walking around some but son't want to overdue it Dr. said I can take a bath on day 3 can't wait. well good luck to the people getting banded Monday and I will take to you guys later

P.S since pre opt diet I loss 5 pound awesome

Congrats to all of you!!!!

It's great to hear that you all are doing well, and no real problems.

:clap2::whoo::clap2::whoo::clap2::whoo::clap2::whoo::clap2::whoo::clap2::whoo::clap2::whoo:

I was banded on the 6th by Dr. Ortiz in TJ. I am doing great. the morning after the surgery I went shopping for about 2 hours. I am home now and doing fine. I had a low BMI on 30. The nutritionist told me I can start creamy Soups as early as tomorrow (4 days) or wait until day 7 if I need to. I don't have real pain, just soreness. The gas is gone and I am well on my way to recovery. I even drove myself home from San Diego, about an hour and a half.