Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MAY-JUNE-JULY 2020 BYPASSERS UNITE!! Veterans Welcome too!

@Groovymommy, sorry you are still feeling crappy. Just keep thinking about the end goal of all this and know it will get better. I am sure with the hernia repair, your body is using EVERY resource to heal and leaving you with no energy. Our bodies are greedy like that. 😜

I start my pre-op liquid diet today for my July 6th surgery. Hoping I can do it without too much misery. I had a very rough week last week including my 76 year old mom sustaining a brain injury and two broken wrists following a fall. She is going to be ok, but her recovery is slow. Then I had some unexpected complications with a dental implant causing swelling and a need for ten days antibiotics. It is always something, right?

Last night my husband and I did a full set of measurements and photos of me. I plan to do it again the day before surgery and then every two to four weeks after surgery. Seems like a good way to remind myself why I have put myself through this when the days are not great. I might be looking at the photos a lot this week! Lol

A big thanks to all of you leading the way with your surgeries! I appreciate all of the sharing! Sending out positive vibes for recovery and weight loss.

Edited by WishMeSmaller

Thanks for all of the information! I'm getting a gastric sleeve on 8/17. I am learning so much, pre-op, post-op and what to bring to the hospital. I need to find some comfy pajamas and a body pillow! I will definitely prep the SF Jello and Protein shots...I ordered the little cups for them today. I am a researcher and planner (although it's usually cruises and vacations...not surgery!) so I want to read and know everything. Good luck everyone!!

1 hour ago, kellym1220 said:

Thanks for all of the information! I'm getting a gastric sleeve on 8/17. I am learning so much, pre-op, post-op and what to bring to the hospital. I need to find some comfy pajamas and a body pillow! I will definitely prep the SF Jello and Protein shots...I ordered the little cups for them today. I am a researcher and planner (although it's usually cruises and vacations...not surgery!) so I want to read and know everything. Good luck everyone!!

Here is to hoping that we heal quickly and well and are on a ship to somewhere by Oct! ❤️

14 hours ago, 613cnn said:

Home now. I’m not going to lie - being in the hospital alone...sucked. Just plain sucked. My last nurse was not awesome. I had a fall Bracelet and she insisted I go walking alone, among other things. And they weren’t even busy.

But at least I’m home now. Anyone else go home with 1/2 a pharmacy? I’m on the on-q ball too that someone noted earlier.

I'm so glad you're home and furious for you that your nurse was not supportive. I can't imagine being in the hospital alone without being catered to every moment. I'm so sorry that happened to you. Now... make surviving week one your next goal. Because you're going to feel so much better by day 7 and not so good until then. What is a q-ball?

14 hours ago, Groovymommy said:

OK, I had my surgery on Tuesday 6/16, today is Saturday 6/20. Here's my update:

PAIN: it's pretty manageable now. The incision right at my navel hurts the most, other than the area where they fixed my hernia. No more codeine-laced tylenol, and I've found that I can handle standing up, sitting down, walking short distances, and I've even been able to sleep on my side (what a relief) using careful placement of extra pillows for support. Every now and then I get some sharp pains after I stand, but they generally subside relatively quickly.

DISCOMFORT: this is a big issue. I feel a tightness in my chest that I normally associate with needing to burp. What would really help this is a seltzer or something else bubbly, but of course I'm not allowed to have anything bubbly at all. When I do burp after drinking Water or something, it eases the feeling a bit. I occasionally have a heavy feeling in the lower part of my abdomen which passing gas helps to relieve. I realize I need to have a bowel movement so I gave myself a dose of Miralax in my tea today. I also started taking the Omeprazole (antacid) that I was prescribed.

WEAKNESS: my worst problem right now. I've been trying to consume more Protein in hopes that it might help with this (I figure if a person is mostly subsisting on Water, broth, and sugar-free Jello, then weakness is inevitable). But in general I feel terrible. Tired, weak, achey, and kind of depressed, to be honest. I often find myself lying down to nap just because I can't get comfortable doing anything else. Even sitting in front of my computer is a challenge and I can only do it in short intervals. I can't explain why, but if I'm doing anything other than lying down I just feel miserable.

Overall I'm feeling pretty gloomy today. But I guess I should remind myself that it's only four days post-op; I really shouldn't be expecting too much progress at this point, right? Finally, the positives:

- I took a shower today (heavenly)

- I made myself a smoothie (almond milk, unflavored Protein Powder, frozen blueberries) and drank a little of it with no apparent difficulty

- Since being able to sleep on my side, I am getting slightly longer periods of sleep and my neck doesn't hurt so much anymore

@MaybeMeow how are you doing now?

Groovy... it gets so much better at the one week point. Just keep powering thru. The fact that you're getting sleep will help that too. And honestly, it improves each day from then on. Have you tried Protein water? Every program is different but I was to force protein starting day 3. I drank protein water and mixed genpro into chicken broth. It saved me. Soon you'll be able to add a few soft foods? That makes a HUGE difference as well. You start to feel a little normal. I'm so happy to hear you can sleep on your side. I keep "testing" that without success yet. You're gonna get there. Survive this first week. That's your goal.

I'm doin'... fine. Having a lot of nerve pain rather than incision pain. It's a wash of pain across my mom-flap that can take my breath away. My hubs says its damaged nerves working to repair themselves. Oof. I've had a little diarrhea every morning... until yesterday (yay!) and today I feel a little plugged (uh oh). Gonna wait and see. I went against program and added half a banana to my morning Protein Shake. Honestly it has made such a difference in the way I feel. I had no idea a medium banana had 28 carbs in it so adding 14 to my 5 carb drink is definately a risk. But I feel better. And I am a big believer in tailoring things to my needs. I also have an egg a day and 2oz of cottage cheese. That's pretty much what I'm living on. The 25 gram protein morning shake. And then 12 more protein with the egg and cottage cheese. Sometimes I try and sneak a mini shake in at the end of the day. Twice I've managed. Getting 450-600 (the shake is 250) calories a day and at least 40 oz of water though I can tell I need to up that. I've been walking the dog 20 minutes a day and yesterday I did it twice. Still suffering from a lot of gas pain and sharp unexplained pains. Towards the evening I always seem to struggle with water and that tight feeling you speak of in the chest. I can't imagine working right now much less being active meeting friends or working out. I completely understand the depression. When having this surgery I was saying goodbye to a dear friend who made me happy. food has been the center of so much joy for me. And during this Covid time my work/passion is halted. So it's an emotional roller coaster for sure. I'm not even weighing myself. That's how disjointed this all feels. HOWEVER! There IS so much to be grateful for. This IS the perfect time to hide away and transform. There is a lot of work to be done in my head (not just the bod) and I have the luxury of time to do it. Maybe you do too? SO... one day at a time. Try not to go crazy. Try not to lose faith in the world. Connect with my kid and husband. Shower. Those are my mantras. ONWARD!

3 hours ago, WishMeSmaller said:

@Groovymommy, sorry you are still feeling crappy. Just keep thinking about the end goal of all this and know it will get better. I am sure with the hernia repair, your body is using EVERY resource to heal and leaving you with no energy. Our bodies are greedy like that. 😜

I start my pre-op liquid diet today for my July 6th surgery. Hoping I can do it without too much misery. I had a very rough week last week including my 76 year old mom sustaining a brain injury and two broken wrists following a fall. She is going to be ok, but her recovery is slow. Then I had some unexpected complications with a dental implant causing swelling and a need for ten days antibiotics. It is always something, right?

Last night my husband and I did a full set of measurements and photos of me. I plan to do it again the day before surgery and then every two to four weeks after surgery. Seems like a good way to remind myself why I have put myself through this when the days are not great. I might be looking at the photos a lot this week! Lol

A big thanks to all of you leading the way with your surgeries! I appreciate all of the sharing! Sending out positive vibes for recovery and weight loss.

Welcome! So sorry about your mom. And the teeth issues! Oh my do you have my sympathy there. Protein Powder in a tasty broth is my advice on the pre-op diet. And how smart of you to do pics and measurements! Those are going to come in handy. I took some pics too and I look at them often to motivate.

@MaybeMeow -

im so glad you’re feeling better and finding what works for you. You’re so strong, I know you’ll find your routine very soon.

For me, this is day 3. I’ve been able to get Water down fine - 40 oz so far today, plus 1.5 shakes and some broth. A Jello cup - I use them as chasers to the aweful meds. So about 48g Protein today. My after care says we have walk 2 miles a day. Does anyone else have that? Seems like a lot to me so soon. I got 1.25 in in two walks (0.5 & 0.75) but man after that second I was beat. Just stone cold out of it.

The on-q ball is for nerve pain around the incision I guess. There’s another med for sharp nerve pain too.

What does everyone’s restriction feel like? Do you feel like you’ve hit it yet? I felt pretty bloated after that broth (miso) but I probably drank it too fast. Is that bloated or the restriction? I have no idea...

Morning everyone! Heading to see my PCP for clearance. Hopefully she clears me. Ahhhh. Good luck to everyone who is having their surgery today. Xoxox

Update. I didn’t get clearance due to anemia. I have to go to see me hematologist for clearance. I’ll keep folks posted in case anyone else is going through the same. Looking as though I won’t have my surgery on 6/29. Bring in July.

1 hour ago, Repeatingthoughts said:

Update. I didn’t get clearance due to anemia. I have to go to see me hematologist for clearance. I’ll keep folks posted in case anyone else is going through the same. Looking as though I won’t have my surgery on 6/29. Bring in July.

AW dang. Sorry for the set-back. Speaking as someone 13 day out... anemia would NOT be good at the start of this. The weakness is real and that's will normal numbers. Here's to raising that level. July is just around the corner! Keep us updated!

15 hours ago, 613cnn said:

@MaybeMeow -

im so glad you’re feeling better and finding what works for you. You’re so strong, I know you’ll find your routine very soon.

For me, this is day 3. I’ve been able to get Water down fine - 40 oz so far today, plus 1.5 shakes and some broth. A Jello cup - I use them as chasers to the aweful meds. So about 48g Protein today. My after care says we have walk 2 miles a day. Does anyone else have that? Seems like a lot to me so soon. I got 1.25 in in two walks (0.5 & 0.75) but man after that second I was beat. Just stone cold out of it.

The on-q ball is for nerve pain around the incision I guess. There’s another med for sharp nerve pain too.

What does everyone’s restriction feel like? Do you feel like you’ve hit it yet? I felt pretty bloated after that broth (miso) but I probably drank it too fast. Is that bloated or the restriction? I have no idea...

Firstly... TWO MILES A DAY THE FIRST WEEK?? That would've killed me. This 2nd week too. Don't push too much. I took two 20 minute walks on Saturday (I go slow at a dog park so that didn't equate to two miles) and that evening the nerve/incision pain was AWFUL.

Sounds like you're doing GREAT on H2O and protein!! Wow! Feel good about that. Bloated VS restriction is somthing I've been trying to put my finger on too. Here's what I'm feeling so far... Bloated is the swollen inside belly up to chest feeling I've had now and then my whole life. Restriction is different. It's almost like pain. It's hard to describe. But the first time I felt it was eating cottage cheese. I put 3 Tablespoons in a dish and about halfway thru I felt odd. Not painful exactly but... more pain than bloat. Like the last bite stayed high and I was either going to burp to relieve the pressure or spit it back up. It's never felt serious. I just stop and walk slowly around the house for a minute of two and it goes away.

How interesting on the Q-ball. Is it external? I have A LOT of nerve pain. But it feels like it's inside. I know some people take Gabapenten for it. I'm trying to power thru.

I need to poop. So colase in now on the menu.

ONWARD BYPASSERS!!

10 minutes ago, MaybeMeow said:

Firstly... TWO MILES A DAY THE FIRST WEEK?? That would've killed me. This 2nd week too. Don't push too much. I took two 20 minute walks on Saturday (I go slow at a dog park so that didn't equate to two miles) and that evening the nerve/incision pain was AWFUL.

Sounds like you're doing GREAT on H2O and protein!! Wow! Feel good about that. Bloated VS restriction is somthing I've been trying to put my finger on too. Here's what I'm feeling so far... Bloated is the swollen inside belly up to chest feeling I've had now and then my whole life. Restriction is different. It's almost like pain. It's hard to describe. But the first time I felt it was eating cottage cheese. I put 3 Tablespoons in a dish and about halfway thru I felt odd. Not painful exactly but... more pain than bloat. Like the last bite stayed high and I was either going to burp to relieve the pressure or spit it back up. It's never felt serious. I just stop and walk slowly around the house for a minute of two and it goes away.

How interesting on the Q-ball. Is it external? I have A LOT of nerve pain. But it feels like it's inside. I know some people take Gabapenten for it. I'm trying to power thru.

I need to poop. So colase in now on the menu.

ONWARD BYPASSERS!!

Q-ball is external. I’m sorry you’re in so much pain. Can your doc rx something? I’m not one for taking stuff but this time around I decided to do what my doc said, which means taking all the things lol. I need to poop to. That’s the thing I’m worried about being on so much pain meds. They can really affect that. I’m tooting so that’s good; but you know.

Hi gang. I’m back. My surgery is rescheduled for July 23rd. I had my. First Iron infusion. I’m happy with this. Getting 500 mg of a medication via IV (forgot the name) which is suppose to be stronger and improve my anemia by a lot and I’ll be ready for surgery. I am excited and happy with the change. I was upset at first but the universe had other plans. FYI my hemoglobin is at 7.7.

10 hours ago, 613cnn said:

Q-ball is external. I’m sorry you’re in so much pain. Can your doc rx something? I’m not one for taking stuff but this time around I decided to do what my doc said, which means taking all the things lol. I need to poop to. That’s the thing I’m worried about being on so much pain meds. They can really affect that. I’m tooting so that’s good; but you know.

Im-a look up Q-ball. Also... I took a 2nd colase and then ate a few bites of avocado. I immediately had explosive and painful diarrhea so I do NOT recommend it. Have no idea if it was the 2nd colase or the avocado or both. But now I'm afraid of avocados. Cuz that was EXCRUCIATING