Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MAY-JUNE-JULY 2020 BYPASSERS UNITE!! Veterans Welcome too!



Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Lici said:

I’m also having my bypass on the 9th! Found out on May 28th that insurance had approved my surgery and my surgeons office had already scheduled it! So I got one last meal and started my pre-op diet. Had bloodwork and the covid test today.
My hospital bag is packed, I’m taking two hospital gowns with me, slippers, biotene spray, listerine strips, colgate wisps, crystal light, chapstick, a couple Protein Shakes , baby wipes, and facial wipes. So I feel really prepared and ready. So glad to see others having this procedure around the same time!

Well hellOOOO, @Lici Surgery twin! I've been hoping to find one. I too got "surprised" by my June 9th date. Which is probably good cuz less time to over-think. I love that you shared what you're bring in your hospital bag. Getting that together will be next on my list. Congrats and best of luck. Can't wait to compare journeys on the OTHER side of this hurdle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Groovymommy... I got your headache today. Pickle Juice has noT helped. I repeat, no-go on the pickle juice. Powering thru!!! Hope you are headache-free today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MaybeMeow sorry to hear you had the headache, and drank Pickle Juice but it didn't help! Ugh! I've noticed that my headache only comes on now if I've waited too long to eat. For example, yesterday I took a nap and slept through the usual time I eat dinner, and when I got up my head definitely hurt. But shortly after eating, the headache went away. My conclusion is it's a blood sugar thing. Snacking regularly on small things might help?

I've stopped taking my supplements, and already I really miss my evening primrose oil and black cohosh. Getting more hot flashes and night sweats are much more severe! Surgeon said I had to discontinue stuff like that before surgery. I guess by the time I'm on solid foods I can start taking them again - looking forward to it!

I'm still on track for June 16, but yesterday my surgeon's office called and said they had an opening, and would I be interested in having the surgery on Monday?! Of course I wanted to but my husband has to work Monday and it's too late for him to ask for the day off. So I had to decline. Oh well.

Stay strong, everyone. 💪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MaybeMeow I’m excited to have a surgery twin! I’ve kept my surgery a secret from everyone but my hubby, my kids, and my mom. So finding this forum has been great!

@Groovymommy That stinks about not being to have the surgery Monday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!
I am new here and I just had my gastric bypass on the 3rd. I'm a 34 year old married mom I am still having some pain and a little nausea. I am supposed to do full liquids for 7 days and blended for 3 to 4 weeks. Making sure to sip, sip, sip is no joke. One of the biggest things I am most surprised about is the noises that come from my stomach area. Lots of gurgling. My hardest obstacle is my son who is 3 wanting to crawl all over me!

For those of you who have surgery soon... you don't know me but I will be cheering for you.

Best wishes!

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Groovymommy said:

@MaybeMeow sorry to hear you had the headache, and drank Pickle Juice but it didn't help! Ugh! I've noticed that my headache only comes on now if I've waited too long to eat. For example, yesterday I took a nap and slept through the usual time I eat dinner, and when I got up my head definitely hurt. But shortly after eating, the headache went away. My conclusion is it's a blood sugar thing. Snacking regularly on small things might help?

I've stopped taking my supplements, and already I really miss my evening primrose oil and black cohosh. Getting more hot flashes and night sweats are much more severe! Surgeon said I had to discontinue stuff like that before surgery. I guess by the time I'm on solid foods I can start taking them again - looking forward to it!

I'm still on track for June 16, but yesterday my surgeon's office called and said they had an opening, and would I be interested in having the surgery on Monday?! Of course I wanted to but my husband has to work Monday and it's too late for him to ask for the day off. So I had to decline. Oh well.

Stay strong, everyone. 💪

Woke today without one! Gonna cross fingers it stays that way.

You know... I was hoping the hot flashes would subside after surgery (another way we are twins). I've been reading about the estrogen release when the weight comes off quickly. Maybe that surge will stop them at least for a while? We can hope, yes? Meanwhile I'm taking a note that evening primrose and black cohosh help you. I went thru early meno at age 43 (I believe it contributed to my fast increase in weight these last few years) and have been suffering with hot flashes for 4 years. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Lici said:

@MaybeMeow I’m excited to have a surgery twin! I’ve kept my surgery a secret from everyone but my hubby, my kids, and my mom. So finding this forum has been great!

@Groovymommy That stinks about not being to have the surgery Monday!

@lici me too on the secret! How's your prep going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, jbelly said:

Hello!
I am new here and I just had my gastric bypass on the 3rd. I'm a 34 year old married mom I am still having some pain and a little nausea. I am supposed to do full liquids for 7 days and blended for 3 to 4 weeks. Making sure to sip, sip, sip is no joke. One of the biggest things I am most surprised about is the noises that come from my stomach area. Lots of gurgling. My hardest obstacle is my son who is 3 wanting to crawl all over me!

For those of you who have surgery soon... you don't know me but I will be cheering for you.

Best wishes!

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

@jbelly WELCOME! Congrats on leaping the hurdle! I can imagine it IS hard to have a 3 years old wanting to cuddle and play with mom. I bet he will also help you heal faster. Another plus is he won't have any memory of the time mom was obese and oddly stuck in bed in pain for a while. I have so many questions... How long were you in the hospital? Have you pooped yet? (too private?:) Are you taking zofran for nausea? Any energy? Does your stomach FEEL like it's been rewired? Are you sleeping? In bed or recliner? I'll stop for now. ;) Hope the next few days your pain improves and the nausea becomes a thing of the past. Please feel free to check in often. We'll keep you company , compare and ask LOTS of questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MaybeMeow said:

Woke today without one! Gonna cross fingers it stays that way.

You know... I was hoping the hot flashes would subside after surgery (another way we are twins). I've been reading about the estrogen release when the weight comes off quickly. Maybe that surge will stop them at least for a while? We can hope, yes? Meanwhile I'm taking a note that evening primrose and black cohosh help you. I went thru early meno at age 43 (I believe it contributed to my fast increase in weight these last few years) and have been suffering with hot flashes for 4 years. Thank you.

Wow, we really are twins. I had my last period when I was 46, but I started having hot flashes etc. almost 10 years before that. 10 miserable years of perimenopause and confusion, hot flashes, skin problems, etc. And my doctors didn't believe me! "You're too young," they said. Ugh. Menopause definitely makes it harder to keep weight down, your metabolism slows a bit and you don't have that wonderful estrogen anymore. Plus part of the reason I went on Effexor was due to menopause so...yeah, it all adds up.

Evening primrose oil helps a bit, I mostly take it because I have had cystic breasts in the past, and my OB/GYN said to take a big capsule every day. Once I started doing that, I no longer had cysts show up on my mammogram. Win! I was surprised how much the black cohosh helps. I mean, if I miss it even once I really feel the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! My gastric surgery is June 23rd. Getting nervous, anxious, happy and scared all at the same time. I’m 64, 5’4 and started out at 257. I’m240 now before the liquids. I start my liquid diet on the 16th. Last week to eat my sweets!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Groovymommy said:

Wow, we really are twins. I had my last period when I was 46, but I started having hot flashes etc. almost 10 years before that. 10 miserable years of perimenopause and confusion, hot flashes, skin problems, etc. And my doctors didn't believe me! "You're too young," they said. Ugh. Menopause definitely makes it harder to keep weight down, your metabolism slows a bit and you don't have that wonderful estrogen anymore. Plus part of the reason I went on Effexor was due to menopause so...yeah, it all adds up.

Evening primrose oil helps a bit, I mostly take it because I have had cystic breasts in the past, and my OB/GYN said to take a big capsule every day. Once I started doing that, I no longer had cysts show up on my mammogram. Win! I was surprised how much the black cohosh helps. I mean, if I miss it even once I really feel the difference.

Also have cysts in my breasts. Every mammo turns into an ultrasound. Maybe we were separated at birth. Never heard of EP helping but definitely going to try it... after recovery. No stomach upset with either?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, jlow347 said:

Hi everyone! My gastric surgery is June 23rd. Getting nervous, anxious, happy and scared all at the same time. I’m 64, 5’4 and started out at 257. I’m240 now before the liquids. I start my liquid diet on the 16th. Last week to eat my sweets!!

WELCOME! We've got a good talkative group going and the more the merrier. Congrats on taking this leap! Enjoy your food funerals. and ONWARD!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MaybeMeow said:

Also have cysts in my breasts. Every mammo turns into an ultrasound. Maybe we were separated at birth. Never heard of EP helping but definitely going to try it... after recovery. No stomach upset with either?

No, no stomach upset. I was skeptical, but after I started taking the EP, I never had a cyst again. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[mention=382060]jbelly[/mention] WELCOME! Congrats on leaping the hurdle! I can imagine it IS hard to have a 3 years old wanting to cuddle and play with mom. I bet he will also help you heal faster. Another plus is he won't have any memory of the time mom was obese and oddly stuck in bed in pain for a while. I have so many questions... How long were you in the hospital? Have you pooped yet? (too private?:) Are you taking zofran for nausea? Any energy? Does your stomach FEEL like it's been rewired? Are you sleeping? In bed or recliner? I'll stop for now. [emoji6] Hope the next few days your pain improves and the nausea becomes a thing of the past. Please feel free to check in often. We'll keep you company , compare and ask LOTS of questions.
I've actually been doing pretty good. I'm a huge nerd and I made a spreadsheet to plan what I eat, track Protein, track Water, use my incentive spirometer. I was surprised after surgery I had a cough that produced a lot mucus so the spirometer is a must. They gave me tracking sheets at the hospital to use at home and they weren't as detailed. Personal questions don't bother me at all. I think it's important that people know your experience so you don't feel alone. It took me a full 24 hours to have a bowel movement but I have been regular since. I also got my period yesterday which has not helped. I tried not taking anything last night for pain management and that was a mistake. My pain is mostly on the left side. The doctor discovered a hernia so that is healing as well. If you haven't already I would invest into some LiquaCel. I mixed it in my water to help me get protein in.
I know its an overused phrase but if I can do it you can do it. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×