Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MAY-JUNE-JULY 2020 BYPASSERS UNITE!! Veterans Welcome too!

Hi Meow - my RNY is 6/16 - started 2 week preop diet today. orig sched 4/7 - so glad i’m almost there to claim my new tool! depending on Overeaters Anonymous (oa.org) to help me w/fat between my ears!! lol 5’7” 58 y/o HW 432 CW 348 GW 199? 🤩haven’t seen onderland in DECADES OR BEEN UNDER 300 in 20 yrs!!

On 06/01/2020 at 22:53, MaybeMeow said:

Takoda! AHHHHHHH! We re sending you all the good stuff. Please let us know when you feel up to it how you're doing and if you are sitting in pre-op waiting, pop in! What time are you scheduled? I'll try and check in. Hoping for a gas-free, quick and easy procedure for you! Let us know!!!!! ((9goodstuff)))

Thanks so much!! I’m so nervous! I have surgery at 2:15pm. I’m hoping this goes well too 😝 so scared lol

Hey all! My surgery (RNY) is scheduled for June 16. I just started my pre-op diet today! I haven't told anyone about my surgery except my very supportive husband (and I think my daughter has figured it out). I'm so nervous right now. I'm 52 yo, 5'8", currently somewhere around 275.

1. Before surgery: I have an early morning appointment with the nutritionist tomorrow, then my pre-op appt with my surgeon. And then just for funsies I'm having my mammogram tomorrow afternoon. 😫 Next week I have to go to a "mental preparedness class." The Saturday before surgery, I have to have a Covid-19 test done - the one where they probe your brain with a q-tip up your nose? Yeah. 😷

2. Pre-op diet: I had scrambled eggs with a little cheese and onion this morning, it was very satisfying. I've switched to Decaf (which was tough and took months) and I use Nut Pods instead of Creamer now. Just now I'm drinking a glass of Water with some of the nectar powder in it. And my stomach feels weird! I don't know if it's not used to the Protein or if I'm just nervous. I will say I like the Nectar fruit powder very much. It's not a strong flavor and it doesn't have that gross "artificial sweetener" taste to it. It kind of reminds me of Hint water or flavored seltzer, with the bonus that it contains protein. I'm using Lose It to track my macros and let me tell you, none of the fitness/calorie trackers like it when you try to follow a <1000 calorie diet!

3. Speaking of Protein! Ugh, I hated every Protein Drink I tried. I can't stand artificial sweetener and the aftertaste of the drinks and powders I tried were just horrible. So I'm making my own Protein Drinks. I bought a NutriBullet (damn that thing is awesome, highly recommended). I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, unflavored Protein Powder, and about 1/2 cup of frozen fruit (blueberries, strawberries, etc.). That keeps it in the range that they recommend (about 5g carbs and at least 20 g protein) but it doesn't taste like chemicals. I think between doing those and using the Nectar powders, I might just survive this!

Good luck, everybody!

@Takoda ((This is MEOW sending energy to you and all who are in surgery or recovery or waiting anxiously to go TODAY. May your surgeon say you were quick, easy and perfect. May the gasssss be a stranger. May the nausea be a myth. Walk walk walk, sleep and sip. Check in when you can and know we're thinking about youuuuuu)))

1 hour ago, Groovymommy said:

Hey all! My surgery (RNY) is scheduled for June 16. I just started my pre-op diet today! I haven't told anyone about my surgery except my very supportive husband (and I think my daughter has figured it out). I'm so nervous right now. I'm 52 yo, 5'8", currently somewhere around 275.

1. Before surgery: I have an early morning appointment with the nutritionist tomorrow, then my pre-op appt with my surgeon. And then just for funsies I'm having my mammogram tomorrow afternoon. 😫 Next week I have to go to a "mental preparedness class." The Saturday before surgery, I have to have a Covid-19 test done - the one where they probe your brain with a q-tip up your nose? Yeah. 😷

2. Pre-op diet: I had scrambled eggs with a little cheese and onion this morning, it was very satisfying. I've switched to Decaf (which was tough and took months) and I use Nut Pods instead of Creamer now. Just now I'm drinking a glass of Water with some of the nectar powder in it. And my stomach feels weird! I don't know if it's not used to the Protein or if I'm just nervous. I will say I like the nectar fruit powder very much. It's not a strong flavor and it doesn't have that gross "artificial sweetener" taste to it. It kind of reminds me of Hint Water or flavored seltzer, with the bonus that it contains Protein. I'm using Lose It to track my macros and let me tell you, none of the fitness/calorie trackers like it when you try to follow a <1000 calorie diet!

3. Speaking of Protein! Ugh, I hated every Protein Drink I tried. I can't stand artificial sweetener and the aftertaste of the drinks and powders I tried were just horrible. So I'm making my own Protein Drinks. I bought a NutriBullet (damn that thing is awesome, highly recommended). I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, unflavored Protein Powder, and about 1/2 cup of frozen fruit (blueberries, strawberries, etc.). That keeps it in the range that they recommend (about 5g carbs and at least 20 g protein) but it doesn't taste like chemicals. I think between doing those and using the Nectar powders, I might just survive this!

Good luck, everybody!

Groovy... this is all so helpful! I'm going to check out the nectar powder. I'm with you on the protein drinks, the upset stomach and the daughter who maY have figured it out. How old is yours? Mine is 11 and I've told her I'm having hernia surgery. Which is not a lie. But she's a sharp cookie and I may have left some information that says otherwise in her sight. It's such a fragile age and I just don't want her to start thinking/worrying about her own weight. Otherwise only my husband and my closest friend (and her mother) know. I think the mental preparedness class sounds pretty good. I have to say I'm not certain my center's prep has been the best. I am a self-pay as my insurance requires TWO medicated co-morbidities and currently I only have reflux so maybe they don't require as much "homework." I did have a Covid test for my EGD a few weeks ago. Not pleasant but not terrible. Hold your breathe and close your eyes, prepare for the swab to last 30 seconds and then be relived when it only lasts for 15. That's my advice for myself as I go in for another before my June 9th Surgery. Oh also if you happen to be stuffed in one nostril ask them to swab the other. ONWARD!

Edited by MaybeMeow

5 hours ago, bizzylizzy said:

Hi Meow - my RNY is 6/16 - started 2 week preop diet today. orig sched 4/7 - so glad i’m almost there to claim my new tool! depending on Overeaters Anonymous (oa.org) to help me w/fat between my ears!! lol 5’7” 58 y/o HW 432 CW 348 GW 199? 🤩haven’t seen onderland in DECADES OR BEEN UNDER 300 in 20 yrs!!

WELCOME TO THE LOSERS!! The more the merrier. Here's to seeing the Wonderland again in the not-so-distant future. THAT IS A REALITY OF THIS SURGERY!!!

Meow! My daughter is 13, will be 14 at the end of the month. She definitely knows what's up.

Good tip on the swab, I have seasonal allergies and of course my left nostril always feels inflamed and swollen. I'll ask them to test the other side. :)

Curious - does anyone have an apathetic spouse? Mine has done zero research, zero attempts to understand what's going on or how things will change, nothing. Today his question was "listen before your surgery, I want to sit down and go over things so I don't I have to worry about them" and then he went on to explain he was thinking about getting a new car and a new roof.

I cannot tell you how heartbreaking that was to me. Is anyone else going it alone? What are you doing to get through?

29 minutes ago, 613cnn said:

Curious - does anyone have an apathetic spouse? Mine has done zero research, zero attempts to understand what's going on or how things will change, nothing. Today his question was "listen before your surgery, I want to sit down and go over things so I don't I have to worry about them" and then he went on to explain he was thinking about getting a new car and a new roof.

I cannot tell you how heartbreaking that was to me. Is anyone else going it alone? What are you doing to get through?

My heart hurts that you’re hurting...I can envision it completely. My issue was the opposite🤪, and that’s not good either! For instance, handsome hubs wanted me to watch the procedure on youtube! He found it very interesting and many questions and concerns that shouldn’t have been, took on a life. He was the only spouse in the room asking surgeon questions until I had to ask him to pleeez, not ask questions on the mechanics of RNY.🙄.

SO, I always go back to this WLS experience presented many, many opportunities for growth that i did not expect. With his science obsession on it, my growth lesson was to DETACH from his concerns and viewpoints and realize this was MY JOURNEY. I was not expecting him to make it worthy, valuable, etc., nor did I need his approval.

You’re growing stronger! As long as he supports you in assisting in the after care you will need, go deep inside and be your own best friend and all that you need to do this— for no one but you can do the work ahead. Let the pain drift up and away, and Smile as it floats up, out of your orbit!🌎🎈💝

Edited by Lily66

24 minutes ago, 613cnn said:

Oof. This is hard to respond to. Let me say this... a new you means a NEW YOU. It might be complicated for him... I guess I should say for your partner doesn't matter, male or female... might be complicated for them to wrap their head around how you will be changing and how that might affect your relationship. So perhaps they need some grace and time. Maybe they'll step up. Particularly if you are patient.

AAANNNND... I started with that because I'm a big believer in not wasting your time with someone who doesn't consider themselves to be your biggest advocate. New you means better you. Get thru this surgery and get healthy and then maybe it's time to look at some other parts of your life. Could need an overhaul.

@MaybeMeow, @Lily66 thank you. I needed to hear this.Thanks so much for listening. I remember going through the behavioral consult and telling the therapist that this is clearly something I have to do on my own. And there's a part of me that resents that a bit; as I'm the one who always rushes to help. But I needed to be reminded that only I can do this work. and new me means new me. Get through this healthy. ;) On the positive side - I got all my appointments scheduled today, liquid diet ordered, supplements ordered, work cleared.

12 minutes ago, 613cnn said:

@MaybeMeow, @Lily66 thank you. I needed to hear this.Thanks so much for listening. I remember going through the behavioral consult and telling the therapist that this is clearly something I have to do on my own. And there's a part of me that resents that a bit; as I'm the one who always rushes to help. But I needed to be reminded that only I can do this work. and new me means new me. Get through this healthy. ;) On the positive side - I got all my appointments scheduled today, liquid diet ordered, supplements ordered, work cleared.

Woo-Hoo on getting things lined up today!👌I remember how excited and deeply committed the day I did that. So proud of you for recalling your inner voice coming through to the therapist that this was clearly something you had to do on your own. It shows the conviction you do indeed feel, not just hearing our words. It’s kind of deliciously selfish to be self absorbed in this journey! This Baripal community has been the BEST support, sounding board, information, that I could have hoped for. SO glad you’re here!😊 When moments get tough, log in, judgment free zone and YOU will be here for other’s, too. I am Smiling for YOU right now!😍

1 minute ago, Lily66 said:

Woo-Hoo on getting things lined up today!👌I remember how excited and deeply committed the day I did that. So proud of you for recalling your inner voice coming through to the therapist that this was clearly something you had to do on your own. It shows the conviction you do indeed feel, not just hearing our words. It’s kind of deliciously selfish to be self absorbed in this journey! This Baripal community has been the BEST support, sounding board, information, that I could have hoped for. SO glad you’re here!😊 When moments get tough, log in, judgment free zone and YOU will be here for other’s, too. I am Smiling for YOU right now!😍

That gave me comfort and hope. Thank you ❤️

Here's my comment on spouses: my wife is very supportive, but she is wondering what is going to happen to her since I do ALL the cooking. She is used to getting three meals and two Snacks delivered to her. (I'm a prince, BTW.)

I'm thinking of sending her out of town for the puree phase. Her mom is older and not in great health, so a visit to Florida is good for everybody. And I imagine a stock of TV dinners will be laid up.

In the long run, she will probably lose weight too, since I will eat 1/4 of a meal and she will eat 3/4.

Edited by Dave In Houston

Checking in with our Bypassers who has surgery these last two days! Want you to know we're thinking about you and hoping you're surviving. Check in when you feel well enough!! @Takoda