Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from VA!

ja9va, It is a small world. Maybe we can get together sometime. I was thinking about trying to get a few of us in the area together one day. I actually ran into another person from this thread at my doctor's office.

I'm doing great. Just got back from Great Lakes, IL where my son graduated Navy boot camp. I ate pretty much the same thing everyone else ate. A couple of times, I pushed my limit for quantity and felt a little iky after. I had a doctor appt the day before I left and again the day after we got back and I lost 2 pounds in 1 week. Considering that we were celebrating, I'm not complaining.

I get my first fill 2/15/08. I'm a little nervous about it.

Hi, I am Regina. Dr. Elliot did my surgery at St. Mary's on December 21, 2007. Anthem approved mine in 2 hours. Good luck to you !!!!!I am in Richmond

AshleeSuzanne,

I have been on the journey since 12/06. I got the call today. I will have surgery with Dr. Bregman on 2/15. I want to know how you did and what your experience have been so far.

My husband and I were having it together and he was denied crazy he need it more that me. So we will appeal but I am going on a take this great appoitment date. We will have shake together to celerate valentines day and sugery as a post holiday present. Haha.

I live in Chesterfield.

SuzanneG One week until your big day, your first fill! that is exciting to look forward to! how have you been feeling?

I have been struggling and need to stay on track. They are 100% correct when you are told the band is a tool. you can learn to eat around the band just like cheating on any other diet. you really have to be aware of your weakness areas.

Is any one going to the support meeting on Monday, February 11? I am hoping to attend. I ahve only been to one and need to give it a chance. it is just a long drive home with the meeting at night.

hope everyone is having a good week.

I am going in on the 15th. Do you think the meeting would be helpful?

I really want this and to work and I hear alot of mix message on this web site.

Mammie Are you being banded on the 15th? the LB support group is on Monday, the 11. I am not sure if it would be worth it to you. You have been to all the Pre opt classes and that is what you really need. I have only been to the support group once, and although I would never discrourage anyone from a support group setting, I did not feel overly excited about it. That is one reason I have not been back. I am going on Monday with another LB friend I met on here. I have met several friends on this site and we get together which is a HUGE support group with in itself. I am giving the support group another chance, meeting some folks before and going together is the draw for me. But this is only my opinion.

talk to you soon!

Janine,

I did my pre surgery yesterday. I am so excited. But really would like to get with others. So you are going to the St. Mary's Group. It appears that you are one step ahead of me I would really like to keep in touch with you. You are doing great to loose 42 lb in 5 weeks. So can you give me some pointers.

OK, so I am all banded and I feel amazing!! Surgery was a breeze for me!! The nurses were AWESOME and so were the dieticians. Since I went on the pre-op diet(3 weeks) I have lost 34 pounds. I am quite sick of Carnation Instant Breakfast though... Can anyone who has had or is having surgery at St. Mary's reccomend one of the support groups? I would love to meet some of you gals......

Mammie I don't want to discourage you, but I had my surgery on June 7. So, it was longer than 5 weeks, but still doing well. I would enjoy keeping in touch and talking to you at any time. Where do you live in VA?

AshleeS I plan to go to the support group on Monday, Feb 11. I am not sure if hte meeting is at 6 or 6:30. It would be nice to meet up. I am meeting another friend that I met on here that also went to St. Mary's. she is going too. this is only my second time to a support group. the friends I met through here have been my best support group! It is a long night driving an hour home after the meeting, that is my only negative with it!

Lumpy How are you doing? Have you had your first fill yet? What do you think of Dr. Batista's staff? When I went earlier this month for a check up, not a fill, I was finally scheduled to see Dr. Batista. I haven't seen him since surgery. But he was so behind, I ended up seeing Jeanine again. I like her alot but since I thought it would be good to see the doctor 1 time! I guess they don't see it as important. I don't go back now until February. Jeanine feels I am in my "green zone" tipping to the Red, but the last few days I have not felt much restriction. I will say it is unpredictable and changes day to day.

Support Group You mentioned going. Maybe I will try and go on Feb 11. Did they change the schedule on the website? Some of my friends that I met in lapband world and I have seen that change and no newsletter. what do you think?

Corey and Ash....this is your Month! Ash next week you will join the great land of bands...:glare: I know you are excited and nervous. Everything will be fine.. keep us posted.

Suzanne I live in Stafford! It is a small world. I have met some local others who have had your doctor too. How are you doing? If you ever want to chat, go ahead and email me or we can get together.

Redd, Kris and chica... How do you like Dr. Tran and Dr. Halmi? When I selected Commonwealth Surgeons in Richmond I did so because I knew of others who went there. At the time in June Potomac Hospital was not a certified weight loss center and I did not know if I should go there, it would have been a lot closer. Have you been to any of the support group meetings yet? I can go there as well as Richmond..

I have been banded now for almost 8 months. I really need to concentrate on the program. One of the real truths of the band is that it is a "tool" not a cure. you still have to make the right choices and eat appropriate portions. After my January appointment I have been logging food on my Daily Plate and trying my hardes to stick to what I need to do. My main struggle at this time is the gym and exercise. I am having a hard time getting back to that. It sucks:confused:. I need a trainer like on the biggest loser to arrive at my door and kick my a$$ in shape!

You all are doing great!!!

Hi Ja9va,

Sorry I couldn't answer this sooner... I just went to my first support meeting at Potomac Hosp. last night. It's a big group, so after the doctor and nutritionist spoke about a few issues (like let's bring exercise into the equation!!), they broke up into two groups: one for newbies, potential WLS patients, or up to a year out from surgery, and then one for the old-timers -- several had GB up to 5 years ago in the group. It was okay given that I wasn't sure what to expect. I hear they're going to start having meetings twice a month, but I forgot to get the flyer for the dates. It may be on their website...

Mammie,

The support group meeting is tomorrow,Monday,but I am unsure if it is at 6 or 6:30. It is usually the second Monday of the month. I plan to be there this week. I am not sure when the meeting starts. The hospital website no longer has a weight loss center icon. I plan to ask this question tomorrow for it has been confusing. I am not sure what I am wearing yet. I can email in the am.

maybe we can meet up.

Hello Ashley, I'm also in Va, I guess not far from you, i'm in Page County. I was banded on 1-14-08 at UVA by Dr. Schirmer and am getting along just fine. Hope your'e doing well also.

Just wanted you guys to know that this is the best bandster board I have read. I start my journey on 2/25/08. Scares shiftless:ohmy: but It has been a long time coming. I can't wait to see the pants size fall off me. Hope to meet a lot of new friends on this board. Please wish me a safe and happy trip. I will by glad to become part of your bandster family.:scared2:

Good Morning Virginia! I am new to this board. Just starting my process, and have been reading up on the procedure like crazy. I'm scared, but excited at the same time. I have struggled with my weight for so long. I am 40 years old, have high cholesterol, and asthma. My father had lap band surgery about 1 1/2 years ago, and has lost 140 lbs. He looks amazing! Anyway, I live in Chesapeake, Virginia, and go the Hampton Roads Weight Loss Surgery Center. Dr. Terracina is doing my surgery. Anyone in this group go there? If not, it's ok. I like to talk to you all. :-) I have done my seminar, and my psych test. I'm meeting with the shrink in a couple days. I have submitted my paperwork to the center to submit to Insurance. I am fortunate to have BCBS, and I hear the process is very easy with them. They pay 100%. I'm ready to go in and have my surgery now!!:cursing:. How long does it normally take to get a date once you attend the seminar and get your psych eval? Anyone know? I'm looking forward to talking with you all, and getting some great support. I know I will need it. I hear so much that this sugery is a tool, and not a cure. I'm willing to do what it takes. I don't want to fail with this. I have heard some discouraging things about the long term results/success of this. I have heard that in Sweden, and Spain they stopped doing lap because after 5 years the results were poor. People tended to gain the weight back, have issues, etc... This scares me. Anyone else read this, and have any thoughts on this??? It would be awful to have this done lose all the weight, and in 5 years put it back on.

Also, I have not gone to a support group yet? Does anyone know a good one in this area?? WOW! That's a lot of questions. THANKS ALL!