Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from VA!

Lumpy - Did I read you were using Dr. Bautista? He's doing mine on Jan. 14. I start all my appointments the week of 12/13. I also live in Richmond (Chesterfield Co.). Please keep me updated on what it's like since I'm right behind you.

Ashley Suzanne - Congratulations on your approval! I saw the FNP on a Monday and received my approval letter on Saturday. I know the next couple of weeks will go fast and once Christmas hits I'll be getting myself ready.

I read this site daily. Please keep in touch.

I live in Richmond and am using Dr. Baustista. I have not met him yet, appt is Dec. 13, but surgery is scheduled for Jan. 14. I found e-mailing Hilarie moved the scheduling process along. I received a quickly reply from my initial e-mail and that's basically how we've been corresponding so far. To date I've only seen the FNP, Maya, and she was nice. My only complaint to date is that I waited over an hour for my appt with the FNP and I had scheduled it during the middle of the day. My future appts are early morning.

Please keep in touch.

CoreyVA, yes Dr. Bautista is performing my surgery at St. Mary's Hospital at 7:30 am on Dec. 10. I have already done everything (physical, pre registration, phys. eval., blood work) and all I have left is Dec. 4th, me and my husband meets with Dr. Bautista, then comes the final moment when I check in at 5:30 am on Monday morning the 10th. Currently, I am on the PreOp diet. Oh yeah, I forgot that I went to behavior classes and got a book on what all to expect and how to eat. This diet is for two weeks prior to the surgery. It's called a "liver shirinking" diet. I have lost 7 lbs in a week so far. The doctor wants to be able to have more room to perform the surgery and having the liver (overlaps the stomach) small allows for more space to work in. I actually watched a live lap band opertation on this website. go to home, then click on where it says this is the first place you should go to and you can see where there are the operations to watch. got to go for a minute, be right back.

AshleeSuzanne, for you to obtain insurance approval, did you have to show proof of 6 mos of supervised weight loss efforts, like Weight Watchers? If so, did you submit a copy of your weekly WW booklet, or something?

I am a self pay, but I would love my insurance to pay it because I rarely get to use the insurance. I seem to just pay for it.

My doctor's insurance person said I would have to wait 6 mos for insurance approval, so I just agreed to self-pay. But I reallly do not want to have to pay out of pocket, because of the high cost.

Any help you can offer would be good. Anyone else can comment, as well.

I live in Chicago, and I have HUMANA PPO.

:)my email address is jwaldron27@msn.com if you want to email me anytime. I have become additive to this website every since I found it. Let's keep in touch. I am sure we will both have great experiences.

Lumpy you described the process to the T! I think Hillary does an outstanding job setting everything up, emailing and sending letters.Good luck with your doctor visit this week!!

Corey the visits at the office can be very long. I have had good luck and one time they asked me if I would see Jeanine Moss, rather than Dr. Batista. this was after my surgery. I was happy actually because I was getting a fill and Jeanine does them not Dr. batista. Don't forget that they have other patients other than weight loss and that takes a while.

Fills: When you go for your fill in the pain lab, flouro they go fast. My experience with that is that first fill in the lab, 2 &3 in the office, 4th in the lab to check things out. this is if all is going good. Jeanine was able to find my port and do the fills in the office great. so don't worry!! I think Maya came from another weight loss office and has experience too. I also email Jeanine Moss, NP, with questions. She will respond which is nice too.

planning I have FBCBS. My doc requires us to write a letter to the insurance outlining several issues that they tell you is needed. Part of that is your weight loss attempts and what happened. I did not have to get letters from weight watchers or jenny craig. BUT I did hear that there are insurance companies that make their patients go on a supervised diet with the surgical group for 6 months before they will approve surgery. I don't recall the insurance?

ja9va, did Dr. Bautista perform your lap band surgery? if so, do you think he is a good doctor?

Planning4thin: My surgeon and I had a long discussion about the things I have tried to lose weight (there was a LOOOOONNNNNGGG list, let me tell you). I didn't give proof, but he and I had a nice talk.

I agree Janine, this board gives me the opportunity to find someone who DID have the same experience. It's a godsend. Funny you saw Eric in an ad. He's a good dude.

when was this discussion-before approval or prior to surgery. I have only met Dr. Bautista when he gave a class a year ago. I meet with him on Dec. 4 prior to Dec 10 surgery. I hope he dosn't disapprove me for surgery. I have already went thru all the loops.

The insurance has to have your primary care doctor complete and submit information for 6 months. Maybe the doctor thought based on what you told him that it wasn't good enough. let me know

Lumpy,

Dr. Batista was fine. He has a surgeon personality if that makes sense. He is pleasant and matter of fact. I would not characterise him as Mr. Personality. But I talked to other folks and he was more"funny" with them? he was better at the hospital and very personable. it may be at the office he is rushed. When I met him for my office visit, the PA already met with me and the paperwork to be approved was sent to the insurance company. To be honest I may have been approved before I had my final pre- operation visit with Dr. Batista. I only met with him once for an office visit before and up to now.

I was very pleased with him, his staff and my experience at the hospital. When I went for my fill last week, the ladies there and I all felt that the weirdest experience at the hosptial was when we had to drink the bariam and the lab area. It is not bad, just the way you are processed ina nd out, under meds and not feelign so good. then they make you lay down on this cold table and drink that nasty stuff. then stick you back in the chair in the hallway waiting for a push back to your room. As you sit and feel like your going to vomit...LOL.

Good luck with your visit today!!!! let us know how it goes.

Hello Va Gang again,

JA9VA I really appreciate your reply, Thanks you so much . It's so great to have this place to vent. Those friends that are not in this realm have no idea of the torment that goes into making a decision like this because they have always been naturally thin. When I was younger I was very thin then around 22 I gained about 50 lbs in a year. I didn't understand it but it happened now I have been told that I probally had PCOS which

causes huge sudden weight gains and could have been corrected. But then I tried to diet and excercised lost a little weight had baby packed on more weight, lost a little again, had another baby, gained more, and then repeated it one more time. I have tried so many diets but it's never been successful for long. One time I took Redux and lost 60 lbs I loved it but then it was taken off the market. But since that I have been extremely unsuccessful with weight lost. I also had to have Hysterectomy when I was 33. Recently developed Thyroid issues, reflux, joint pain and Diabetes. I guess thats enough of my justification. It's really difficult to want this so bad and still not even know if insurance

has approved me yet. It seems like the process is so slow.

Lumpy: I will definitely keep in touch with the process. I really wish you well with the surgery.

Thanks for being here.

Suzie

HI! I just had my surgery at St. Mary's on 11/28. The nurses and staff were wonderful! They made the experience about at pleasant as possible. My dr. was Dr. Bautista with commonwealth surgeons and I just love his office. Good luck to you! PS. I also have Anthem and my approval was very quick and painless!

Glad all went well Josie!! How are you feeling after one week?

I have had real restricton the last two days. I tried to eat tuna today for lunch and that would nto go down. it is depressing sometimes when you can't eat what you made or want. On the bad side, the band has no problem letting pretzels and chips go through! I have made a vow, not to buy any tortilla chips and salsa for it is a red flag of mine and the salt is the big killer!

Hope everyone is doing well.