Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I’m 2 1/2 weeks out from having my surgery. I just started the puréed diet Wednesday, which anything is better than a liquid diet.

My stomach seems so sensitive. I’m almost scared to eat anything. I’m not hungry, but I know I need to eat to survive. I gag every time I brush my teeth and spend about 5 minutes dry heaving. Is this because my stomach isn’t fully healed? Once it’s healed, will this go away?

I can start taking multi-vitamins now but had to re-order the capsules. The chewables were entirely too big.

My emotions are up and down. I really don’t like the restrictions and so many rules. I’ve lost 26 pounds, so it’s work. It’s just getting through this rough patch. I saw another post where someone was feeling the same way - regrets. Will this go away?

I’m also having food fantasies. I’m dreaming of nachos, dips, roast, soda, yet I didn’t crave these things pre-surgery. It has to be mental, right? How do I combat that??

Your concerns and feelings are completely normal . A lot of people feel this way but it usually gets better with time and practice.

Good Luck 💜

the first few weeks can be rough, but you'll get through it and then be really glad you did this!!

re: food dreams - I still have smoking dreams even though I quit smoking 25 years ago. I think some addictions just become such a big part of your self-identit that they stick with you in some aspect even years after you've kicked them to the curb

Hi,

You don’t have that much more to go. I just hit my month visit and I am off all food restrictions. It is so worth it and you are almost there. If you are craving nachos etc. check your salt intake. I was getting dizzy and was told I didn’t have enough sodium. I added Gatorade zero to my diet. Also let your dr. Know about nausea as they can prescribe something for it. I was sent home from the hospital with something for nausea and something for upset stomach/gas. Keep plugging away it will get better.

Depends on what you're consuming, I think. Even though a food is pureed, doesn't mean you can tolerate it. Highly acidic foods and spicy foods were a big issue for me. I did best with pureed veggies that were starchy like butternut squash and sweet potatoes. I bought a nutri ninja and did all my own purees, I didn't trust the pre-made ones you can buy.

Also, it seems like you're doing capsules too soon. They will not absorb as well this early in your recovery based on what my surgeon told me. The chewables are necessary for proper absorption for the first few months. They're big, but take them one at a time and chew them up well.

Hope it gets better for you.

Thanks so much everyone! I don’t go back to the doc for another 3 months. I have chewable Calcium but my doc told me that Bariatric Multi Vitamins automatically dissolve in the stomach.

I’m nervous I’m going to mess something up, lol. I know I’m not getting enough Protein. Most times after I’ve eaten or drank anything, I feel nauseous so I stop eating/ drinking. Boy, will I be glad when this part is over.

It gets better. And it's normal to have food fantasies (head hunger and cravings) as well as mood swings (sadness, depression, anger, snapping, regret, euphoria). So many moods coming from surgical recovery as well as the hormones being released from the fat.

If you are not hungry, then the surgery is doing it's job. That's the beauty of the honeymoon period. Embrace it!

But, do what is YOUR responsibility to get the Protein in at whatever stage--especially the early stage. Don't get tricky, don't try to game the system. Just eat "boring" and bland and highly nutritious foods and geterdone. Just get your protein in each day and be done.

If you are gagging on the protein drinks--try another brand. Mix it up! Try diluting it in decaff black coffee or decaff black tea. Vary the temperatures of your protein and liquids to see which hits your stomach easier. Thin out yogurt (Greek plain zero fat) wtih Protein Drinks. Get the clear protein drinks and dilute with bottled water--drink it hot, room temp, or ice cold depending which goes down easiest. By diluting your Proteins, you are thinning them down so that's easier on your new healing tool and also making them less sweet.

I LOVE the Premier Protein fruit Punch Clear (15g per bottle) and I dilute it 50/50 with bottled Water. So good--like Hawaiian Punch.

I add protein to things like Peanut Butter powder added to Greek yogurt and add 2 ounces of Premier Protein Drink to make it into a yogurt Soup so it goes down easy. Eat cottage cheese with canned fruit. Eat protein puddings, soft scrambled eggs, egg/tuna/salmon/chicken salads that use canned meat, hardboiled egg, and low fat cottage cheese in place of the Mayonnaise. Add a little Pickle Juice and spices like onion powder and garlic powder and salt. Eat creamed Soups and add a scoop of unflavored protein to it while it's cold, then dilute it with Fairlife Milk to up the protein content of the food. Then warm only the portion that you're gonna eat at that meal. It will all add up quickly!!! Add unflavored Protein Powder to every thing!!! Don't get tricky with your puree stage. Advance food slowly. Be patient. Embrace the suck. Cuz this is where you will lose the MOST weight!!!

When you look at something you crave, say to yourself, "I can't have that yet, but I will have it again.....later."

I just took my first calcium citrate chew today. My boyfriend had the bright idea of cutting it in fours and trying to chew just a piece of it first. For the first few days out of the hospital I was supposed to be taking it along with my Multivitamin chew, but I was just scared. Especially after feeling like gagging just from taking a generous size sip of Water.< br />
Long story short, working on just a fourth of the chew helped me get over that real quick. After chewing it for a minute or so I couldn't find a reason not to swallow it, and I worked out just fine for me! I even went a head and took my Gummy omega-3s and Biotin vitamins!

Be sure to take your D3 and Calcium together but apart from the multi. The calcium and Iron don't go well together for absorption.