Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why you should NOT work out after WLS

Soo I know it sounds crazy right? But I just watched a super informative video and it made soooooo much sense. I found this Dr on YouTube who is famous for weight loss surgery’s. And he gives really really good information on why you shouldn’t work out after surgery and when your truly ready to work out it’s like 30 mins long but it was really good check it out.

“;Dr. Duc Vuong is an internationally renowned bariatric surgeon and a leading expert in education for the bariatric patient”

image-0.00298023223876953.jpg

I’ve seen a few surgeons online who agree with this, including my own. In sessions he says oh yes fine to exercise if you want, but I have a video of him at a conference saying it’s not important, the issue being that the eating is what’s going to make the weight loss. The only time I had to exercise was immediately post op to prevent blood clots.

Weight loss is mostly about eating or lack of, but excercise isn't necessarily about weight loss, its about health and fitness. What is the point of losing a whole of fat and not being at least healthy with it. Improved fitness can bring additional health benefits.

I haven't watched the video (I don't want to add to his views, I am not sure I like that he pushes MLM products and using his 'bariatric' platform to sell them), so don't know why the doctor is saying not to exercise, but imagine to start with would because of the low calorie consumption, lack of sufficient calories to meet the calorie demands of exercise.

But what exercise is he saying not to do? Cardio or resistance? Or both? Cardio may help with fat loss, resistance at sufficient weights/reps/set, if consuming sufficient Protein, will help build lean body mass.

Dr. V DOES recommend Physical Therapy, which I am doing anyway because I have a bad back. The 7 weeks I took off after surgery was a big mistake and I was in a lot of pain when I went back. Thankfully I'm improving.

I think exercise is good for the emotional benefits and general health. I can't lose as much as I want without exercise, although YMMV. I think a lot depends on calorie consumption. I can't really do the treadmill, etc. on 500 calories a day.

54 minutes ago, 2shea said:

I haven't watched the video (I don't want to add to his views, I am not sure I like that he pushes MLM products and using his 'bariatric' platform to sell them), so don't know why the doctor is saying not to exercise, but imagine to start with would because of the low calorie consumption, lack of sufficient calories to meet the calorie demands of exercise.

I'm very disappointed he has an MLM scheme going. I wasn't aware of it until now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. He has some good ideas and I like him, but he also has a "hucksterish" quality and I am not into the MLM at all. Frankly, I think it's inappropriate and exploitive for a doctor to be doing it.

Edited by JessLess

This is misleading. Required, No. Beneficial, Yes. No amount of anything will ever change the fact that, the larger your muscles are, the more energy they will burn, full stop.

Also, after WLS, with Visceral fat loss leaving muscles and connective tissue with extra slack due to the missing fat padding, you *NEED* to exercise to tight up loose ligaments, tendons, etc.

I agree with @Matt Z, exercise is still important for prevention/repair of muscle atrophy, toning, and fascia health. It made a noticable difference just doing hardcore walking and jumping. It made a lot of difference in not having a ton of loose skin, especially weight training instead of cardio only.

But on the flip side I was not at the gym 14 hours after surgery.

My team let me know when it was physically safe to go back, by incision site healing, even then I was too wiped out for the efforts. I did 5 minute bursts at home. It was all I could do immediately after surgery.

People are all different and know their personal level of endurance. That should be a guide for how fast or slow you choose to take it.

I like physicist Ruben Meerman - Where does fat actually go when you lose it. The mathematics of weight loss. Move more eat less. (exercise/activity at your own fitness level)

Edited by Healthy_life

Soo I know it sounds crazy right? But I just watched a super informative video and it made soooooo much sense. I found this Dr on YouTube who is famous for weight loss surgery’s. And he gives really really good information on why you shouldn’t work out after surgery and when your truly ready to work out it’s like 30 mins long but it was really good check it out.

“;Dr. Duc Vuong is an internationally renowned bariatric surgeon and a leading expert in education for the bariatric patient”image-0.00298023223876953.thumb.jpg.6cac0acc4ebc4a56f899039d30434a18.jpg
I agree with the doctor but I don't go to the gym to lose weight. I know that's going to happen regardless. I'm now going because I want to build muscle. With all the deficiencies that come from this surgery, I want to make sure my muscle stays in tack.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I love strength training... because it makes it so I can actually lift things and not feel like a weak noodle all the time. I don't care about it helping or not helping weight loss. I want to FEEL strong and healthy... not just be thin and weak. Plus, definition. I used to do 100 situps every morning before I went to my college classes (back when I was thin)... had an awesome 6-pack.

On 12/13/2018 at 06:40, Matt Z said:

This is misleading. Required, No. Beneficial, Yes. No amount of anything will ever change the fact that, the larger your muscles are, the more energy they will burn, full stop.

Also, after WLS, with Visceral fat loss leaving muscles and connective tissue with extra slack due to the missing fat padding, you *NEED* to exercise to tight up loose ligaments, tendons, etc.

It’s actually not misleading at all he doesn’t say don’t work out at all he says make sure you have a,b, and c together before you work out or it’ll be a punishment to your body and not beneficial. Definitely something everyone should watch.

On 12/13/2018 at 07:05, GreenTealael said:

I agree with @Matt Z, exercise is still important for prevention/repair of muscle atrophy, toning, and fascia health. It made a noticable difference just doing hardcore walking and jumping. It made a lot of difference in not having a ton of loose skin, especially weight training instead of cardio only.

But on the flip side I was not at the gym 14 hours after surgery.

My team let me know when it was physically safe to go back, by incision site healing, even then I was too wiped out for the efforts. I did 5 minute bursts at home. It was all I could do immediately after surgery.

People are all different and know their personal level of endurance. That should be a guide for how fast or slow you choose to take it.

The Dr doesn’t actually say don’t work out at all but under what pretenses are we actually trying to work out under? That matters, it won’t be beneficial to patients who were formally obese unless we work on out mental state first.

12/13/2018 03:45 AM, 2shea said:

Weight loss is mostly about eating or lack of, but excercise isn't necessarily about weight loss, its about health and fitness. What is the point of losing a whole of fat and not being at least healthy with it. Improved fitness can bring additional health benefits.

But what exercise is he saying not to do? Cardio or resistance? Or both? Cardio may help with fat loss, resistance at sufficient weights/reps/set, if consuming sufficient Protein, will help build lean body mass.

He doesn’t push any product or anything in the video. Like i previously said it’s really informative. Check it out....

I just watched this.. Very true statements and very informative video. I do think exercise is key but the facts presented are to make sure you are ready for it. Very interesting and i like what i saw.. This just solidified for me to up my gym info that i am going to start in Jan and make sure i have a trainer. Right now i am in the process of scouting gyms so i can make the right choice.

I watched a few of Dr. V's videos pre-op. Some of them I found helpful... but he pushes that green drink of his so hard... and most of the things in that drink my surgeon says I can't even have the rest of my life. lol. I say go by whatever your surgeon tells you. Mine says light cardio and now at 6 weeks I am cleared for lifting and strength training. One of our dietitians is also a personal trainer, and she is also all about getting active. Not overdoing it.

They also said that since the surgery will only help you lose 65%-75%ish of your excess weight, you NEED to exercise to reach your goal... to get off that extra 20 or so pounds. Surgery and the new diet doesn't always help everyone lose 100% of the weight they need to. Even if you don't have surgery, diet alone typically doesn't get you 100% of the way there if you sit around like a sedentary lump or do the bare minimum.

3 minutes ago, Bougieb said:
5 hours ago, 2shea said:

He doesn’t push any product or anything in the video. Like i previously said it’s really informative. Check it out....

He pushes his products in his other videos... I didn't watch this one.. but I watched a lot of his others.