Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Years Out and Major Weight Regain

I was attending one of my group sessions last week and a person who had had a gastric sleeve two years ago spoke at the meeting. The person said the first nine months were a dream come true with a weight loss of 125 lbs and reaching goal. This person went on to state that taking the weight off went pretty much to the surgeons plan. At first, this person measured and weighed all foods, made sure to eat Proteins first and did not mix Water with food and did moderate exercise such as parking the car away from the building and walking the stairs. By the one year mark old habits started to creep back. The need to eat processed foods and Snacks came back. Why? Because goal weight was met and because it was so easy to lose the weight. This person thought that snacking and eating off plan would be counterbalanced by more rapid weight loss. Well, as the pounds crept back getting them off wasn't as easy as it was in those first nine months. With that came a feeling of hopelessness and the cycle that made this person obese to begin with started all over again. By this persons two year anniversary 85lbs was regained. This person was brave to tell us this story and to warn us that WLS is not the end of our obesity. In fact, it should be a wake up for us that our success at a healthy life is a struggle each day.

This person is looking into a revision to gastric by pass but one wonders if long term success will be maintained or is this person doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past? For those of you with long term success you truly are remarkable, dedicated and an inspiration and I hope to learn from you and your successes as I read about them here on these forums.

I'm 4 years post VSG and also struggled with some regain about 2 years post op. I really struggled and gained back about 40 lbs.

It took a doctor giving me some sobering health news (an issue that I originally had VSG to help combat was creeping back into play) to kick my butt into gear.

I realized that it was only going to be ME doing the work, and that rather than look at a revision, I had to just get it together and DO IT.

I've successfully lost all my regain and still have about 20 to go. I think many people who regain consider a revision because YES it s super easy to lose initially post op and I think there's a thought process that a revision will result in that easy, fast weight loss again, but my surgeon reminded me that a revision is NOT a reset button and that the body doesn't usually respond the same way after a revision.

The Surgery I consider a last resort.. meaning now the rest is up to me.. with the lifestyle change as well. I know it is easier said than done, but we should be in a constant work of progress and will forever watch what we eat and do going forward. Eating and over eating is all a mindset so i can see how some can revert once they feel they have met the goal and Oh this one thing wont hurt.. the problem is the one thing can lead to another and another so its best not to try the one thing in the first place.

Hello, I'm 2 1/2 years out from VSG surgery. I have gained over past few months. Which I'm not happy about. I lost 100lbs. But I'm up about 20 to 30lbs. The downside was junk food was in my home for approximately 9 months. When daughter and grands moved back home. Now, I have to get back on track and get my diet back on track along with exercising more frequently. I would like to get as much support and help others if I can with turning things around for the better.

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

@Danny Paul

It's a sobering reality that any of us can gain weight.

I hope anyone who has a large gain can overcome and get a treatment plan that works for them. (Revision, diet or other) Many reasons for regain. Medical issues, medications, diet, complications, hormones, mobility issues......The list goes on.

You are right, Surgery alone will not make your weight loss successful. The work does not end after goal.

I have gained 25 pounds on the dot and in the last month have only lost 5. So it is clear like you, I have slipped into old habits.

We worked too hard for this god damn it. It was NOT easy, it was pain and suffering. SO LETS DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!

I am going back to the old old old diet that I started on. I am going to be eating a clear Soup for at least 50 percent of my daily meals. No more junk, no more Snacks, NO MORE ALCOHOL. My capacity to eat is still really small.

Anyone wanna do a thing for a month? Like a support group? For real, no judging we encourage each other and try to reconnect with the habits that worked.

I'm about 6 years out and lost 100 lbs. It was a pretty easy first year for me, as well. Now, I battle a 5 lb regain on a regular basis. Lose it, regain it, lose it, regain it...It's so frustrating. My calorie intake is around 1,200 which shouldn't be enough for the average woman to gain weight, but our bodies are very screwed up by the history of obesity and it seems my brain is always trying hard to get me back up to a weight it thinks is 'normal'. The only way I've succeeded in staying within 8 lbs of my lowest weight is by constant attention to it.

The first 2 years after my weight loss I was really restrictive with carbs and sugar. They just weren't on my diet. Then, I started to relax. started to think, hey normal people can eat a candy bar once in a while, enjoy some pasta...right? Can't I? Nope. It's a constant battle. I slip off the routine and next thing I know I am craving the bad stuff again.

I refuse to lose this battle. I have hope that eventually my brain will re-set itself and I won't be so prone to gain weight just because I have a cheat moment here and then. Meanwhile I fight it like an addiction. I get clean for a few weeks and I slip a bit, and I battle to get clean again. Miserable Merry-Go-Round!

Some days you want to give up, but I head to my closet and try on some of my fantastic clothes, and I get back some resolve. We all fight the battle, everybody in a different way, but knowing your not alone helps. Support groups are GREAT!! Take it from a life coach who facilitated a weight loss surgery support group for a few years.

I'm a little over a year out and wasn't too big to begin with, so weight loss wasn't as huge, but I was down from 230 to 167. I went to the dr yesterday and weighed 190. I have been going to the gym, which is also hard for me to do since I have IC and working out causes flare ups. (Anyone else with IC on here?) I do eat bad sometimes, but have stayed on track for the most part as most "bad" foods also cause a flare up. And every Protein Shake I have tried for the past few months have been making me SO nauseous. Anyone have any suggestions? I wear a size medium in tops and a 10/12 in jeans. Although my size hasn't changed, the pounds have and I feel like you can see it. I have been so down about it and have been strict with what I eat. I need tips and motivation :(

22 hours ago, Cindi_Augustine said:

hey normal people can eat a candy bar once in a while,

As a compulsive over eater I can't eat like a normal person. Just as an alcoholic can't drink like a normal person. I don't drink because my drug of choice is food. It has and will always be. That's why every day is a struggle for me. Keep vigilant and try to get support from where ever you can find it.

Why would you still need Protein Shakes this far out. Surely the aim by now should be to get your Protein from food.

I like to use Protein Shakes because most foods and seasonings cause me to flare. I was also told by my dr to continue with Protein shakes for as long as I can

Hello, I'm 2 1/2 years out from VSG surgery. I have gained over past few months. Which I'm not happy about. I lost 100lbs. But I'm up about 20 to 30lbs. The downside was junk food was in my home for approximately 9 months. When daughter and grands moved back home. Now, I have to get back on track and get my diet back on track along with exercising more frequently. I would like to get as much support and help others if I can with turning things around for the better.

Hi to all, well found out that the junk food was the entire issue for my weight regain. I started a new medication 6 months ago. One of the side effects as the dosage increased over periods of time within the 6 months. The downsides to all of this is the meds are working, arthritis is inflamed and I'm in pain constantly, but the regain is so devastating to all my hard work and accomplishments. There has to be alternative with the meds. I'm waiting for the doctor to discuss med change that will not sabotage my success.