Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you eat popcorn, and does your doctor approve?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you eat popcorn, and does your doctor approve?

• You eat popcorn and your doctor approves .
    • You eat popcorn and your doctor DOES NOT approve.
    • You DO NOT eat popcorn, but your doctor approves.
    • You DO NOT eat popcorn and your doctor DOES NOT approve.
    • Other (please explain)

I'm glad someone put something out there about popcorn.My kids and I both love popcorn and I think I would miss this snack most of all.It's good to know that I can have it again eventually.

i ate popcorn for the first time 4 weeks out. but i didn't eat a whole lot like i used to. i would only eat probably a couple of cups instead of the whole bag. (at first i only ate a handful). we went to the movies this weekend and had popcorn and i only ate two handfuls!! i was so proud.

I've never been a big popcorn eater. But at the movies, I have to have some! For some random reason though, I have absolutely no issues with popcorn. I can eat a whole friggin movie bag full and not have any issues getting stuck or sliming or whatever but heaven help me if I don't chew a piece of chicken well....Go figure.

Yum popcorn..just saying it makes me want some..at 6 00 am!! I love popcorn, and thou sometimes it makes me pb, I still eat it. My doc doesnt care for it, but Im pretty sure that my popcorn is sprinkled with crack, bc I can not seem to break my addiction to it. I try to keep it at a min tho...

On the CalorieKing website when you choose your menu, popcorn (air popped) is on the list and is ok if you have a tablespoon, although i cant see me trying to balance popcorn on a tablespoon. Not sure if it means a tablespoon of unpopped corn or when its popped cos then it wouldnt be many pieces..

Anyhoo, Everything in this world can kill us and give us cancer and this and that.. sheesh if we stopped doing all the things that can harm us "according to science" we all might aswell live in a bubble but then down the track somewhere some scientist will discover living in a bubble can cause cancer etc..

And i agree we can walk out the front door and get hit by a bus.. I have a friend that was hit by a bus and she is still here.. lol

Popcorn does not cause Diverticulosis.. My mum has it and she never eats popcorn, basically i think the thing with that is small particles of certain foods that get caught in the little pockets that diverticulosis causes. There are many foods she cannot eat, peanuts being one as the small particles get caught. For some i guess popcorn particles would do the same.

I love popcorn and i microwave it but i dont eat it often. Sometimes if i get the munchies i will reach for the low fat popcorn which is healthier than reaching for the chocolate bar. I used to have a popcorn maker and do it myself but dont have it anymore. Maybe i might invest in another as its then healthier and you can do a tablespoon of kernals.. lol

Popcorn is a must at the movies.. hehehehe Even when we have movie nights at home we get the good old popcorn out.. :)

although i cant see me trying to balance popcorn on a tablespoon. Not sure if it means a tablespoon of unpopped corn or when its popped cos then it wouldnt be many pieces..

Anyhoo, Everything in this world can kill us and give us cancer and this and that.. sheesh if we stopped doing all the things that can harm us "according to science" we all might aswell live in a bubble but then down the track somewhere some scientist will discover living in a bubble can cause cancer etc..

Popcorn is a must at the movies.. hehehehe Even when we have movie nights at home we get the good old popcorn out.. :)

its unpopped popcorn.. I went on a fairly effective diet once where I could eat as much air popped popcorn as I wanted as a snack..you can put everything on popcorn..ranch powder, chillipowder, carmel, butter, salt, my sister eats hers w Pace hot sauce..pretty good...anyways lost weight on that diet, popcorn takes time to eat..

As far as cancer...with the amount of chemicals in our ecosystem, Water and air, we might as well all light up a pack of Marlboros, eat Splenda and Sweet n Low by the pound and start dippin "chew..or do they call it spit"...If you are really worried about a food giving you cancer, I strongly urge you NOT to read the ingredients of any food, or eat anything that you dont grow..in composted soil...lol besides, we have all kinds of DNA repair systems to attempt to prevent cancer..sometimes they break down, but then so does your car..do you spend all day worrying that one day your car might start smoking..haha cancer car smoking..just made the connection! :heh:

Back to the topic..an air popper is a must..theres nothing quite as romantic as cuddling up with your sweetie watching an old movie, the smell of that popped goodness filling the air with every audible pop..crap, nowI want popcorn!

Guest ZenGarden

I eat popcorn AND drink Cherry Coke Zero (not at the same time, of course).

this is interesting. my dr said no popcorn and i have not had any since being banded.

i love popcorn. my BF and i used to eat it all the time. i will try some this weekend and see how it goes.

i love it..but amazingly..since i posted this..we have rarely eaten any popcorn. i guess after not being able to eat it for those few weeks i kind of lost my craving..i used to want it every day.

I Love popcorn and it was a staple before surgery, some night it WAS dinner. However, the nutritionist told us before surgery that the reason the DR's did not like us eating it after banding was because they do not want us eating EMPTY calories or foods with little to no food VALUE. The popcorn in its pure form without all of the butter and oil and salt has no food value. Hence the Dr's reasoning.

So with that said I had my first popcorn 4 weeks after surgery and only then I had a cup and was full. I had some yesterday at the movie theater but only again about a cup and I was full.

I will never give up a food that I love and that is great ruffage<sp>!! I will limit how much and how often I have it.

Guest ZenGarden

How long after you were banded did you have popcorn?

I began eating popcorn again about 4 months after surgery and am still eating it 3-4 times per week.