Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post op extreme pain

How long does it take to start feeling better after sleeve surgery. I am 2 days post op and pain is excruciating. I can hardly handle it. Also tips for taking crushed pills. That too is making me gag and be sick. What pain meds were people sent home with. I am given 1 Percocet every 6 hours and my first dose home it made me sleep, but when I woke up an hour and a half later pain was so bad.

14 minutes ago, Michie_be_me said:

How long does it take to start feeling better after sleeve surgery. I am 2 days post op and pain is excruciating. I can hardly handle it. Also tips for taking crushed pills. That too is making me gag and be sick. What pain meds were people sent home with. I am given 1 Percocet every 6 hours and my first dose home it made me sleep, but when I woke up an hour and a half later pain was so bad.

firstly whatever youre eperiencing is normal

i had a nightmare 4 days

secondly, it took me a while to get crushed diluted pills down but i took the time i needed and got there eventually

itll be so much better really soon.

goodluck :):):)

As Becca101 noted, what you're experiencing is normal. But I have to ask, are you walking enough? It's possible the pain you feel is gas built up and unless you walk it out, it will just fester and be worse. Each day the pain should become less and less.

As for pain meds, I was given liquid hydrocodone. I didn't take any pain meds, 1. I refused to, because I wanted to get life back to normal as quickly as possible. 2. when I felt pain, I got up and moved and soon would release gas and felt better.

My priolosec is the only thing that has to be opened because it's capsule form and I put a small amount of applesauce on a spoon, spread the pill contents and cover with applesauce and try to swallow quickly. It's only failed me once and I vomited everywhere.

I was sent home with liquid tylenol with codeine which I didn't need for any pain associated with surgery. As far as my other meds I just swallowed them. No crushing or opening. I had to do them one at a time at first but we were told that if the pill was smaller than the size of your pinkie nail bed it was fine to swallow. Hope you feel better real soon. Congrats on your surgery!!

Yeah the pain is HORRIBLE!! I’ve cried everyday I’ve been here lol. I’m hoping a week from now this will be a distant memory

I was in terrible pain for about 5 days and then it became less and less. At 8 days post op I’m literally pain free and stopped taking my pain meds.

I was sent home with
Miralax
Sennakot
Lovenox
Urisodiol
Ondansetron
Pantaprozole
Oxycodine
Multivitamin
Calcium pill

It’s so hard to keep track of all of this. 😭

image-0.00298023223876953.jpg

I probably am not walking as much as I should, but I am trying. I do have bad gas pain and it gets relieved and then it comes right back. I cannot imagine how much gas can be in one body. I am also having bad incisional pain on trying to get up. thank you for support. I am hoping that each day will get better. Hearing others experiences helps. my doctor is making me crush all meds and I am on so many. I have been able to swallow small pills, however I am afraid to do it even if I am can because of what it could do to new stomach.

Also, a TMI question. How long did it take you to have your first bowel movement after surgery. I still have not had one. Is this normal. I am 3 1/2 days post op. My last one was Sunday night the night before surgery.

I had one three days after being discharged. It was a painful experience. I had to get stool softeners. I was told if I didn’t poop in three days to return. So I tried my hardest the third day. I too had bad incisional pain. Especially when getting up! It will get better!!! I kept asking myself why I did this! Haha

7 hours ago, Michie_be_me said:

I probably am not walking as much as I should, but I am trying. I do have bad gas pain and it gets relieved and then it comes right back. I cannot imagine how much gas can be in one body. I am also having bad incisional pain on trying to get up. thank you for support. I am hoping that each day will get better. Hearing others experiences helps. my doctor is making me crush all meds and I am on so many. I have been able to swallow small pills, however I am afraid to do it even if I am can because of what it could do to new stomach.

I too had pain at the incision point where my stomach was removed. This will get better with each day. Just be patient. I know walking is difficult, just suck it up and try to move - it will help so much with the gas pains. I had gas pains for the first solid week and still get them (almost 2 weeks post-op). I used to find belching disgusting, now I find my own personal relief in it when I let one out.

My first BM was 3-days post op, it was difficult and rabbit like, but once you start getting more Water in you that too shall pass. If you're still taking pain meds, make sure you are taking a stool softener with it to help with BMs. Dehydration, and pain meds are a recipe for Constipation. No sense in putting yourself in more pain than you are already are feeling.

11 hours ago, Michie_be_me said:

Also, a TMI question. How long did it take you to have your first bowel movement after surgery. I still have not had one. Is this normal. I am 3 1/2 days post op. My last one was Sunday night the night before surgery.

with the help of supositories, i had my first BM at 5 days post op. it was pebble-like (for lack of a better word lol). my second BM came 7 days after the first and it was pure agony. i practically gave birth to a steal turd for 60 minutes. lol

my doctor toldme to try Milk of Magnesia which worked BEAUTIFULLY.

as a long term solution youd obviously have to drink more and get more Fiber.

also, remeber, a big part of why BMs are challenging soon after surgery is because your actual bowel is recovering from surgery as well so itll also get better naturally the farther you get from surgery.

goodluck :)

9 minutes ago, becca101 said:

with the help of supositories, i had my first BM at 5 days post op. it was pebble-like (for lack of a better word lol). my second BM came 7 days after the first and it was pure agony. i practically gave birth to a steal turd for 60 minutes. lol

my doctor toldme to try Milk of Magnesia which worked BEAUTIFULLY.

as a long term solution youd obviously have to drink more and get more Fiber.

also, remeber, a big part of why BMs are challenging soon after surgery is because your actual bowel is recovering from surgery as well so itll also get better naturally the farther you get from surgery.

goodluck :)

Oh my gosh, you know you are not supposed to make a pre op gal laugh. thank you for sharing, I have a call into my doctor for some other questions, so I will mention this as well. I had similar problems pre op with the steal turd reference. I so get it. afraid that will be the case now as well. I was also looking for some sleevers who's weight was not super high. I am in that league also and felt guilty posting my starting weight so I didn't. I have a lot of medical problems that are due to my uncontrollable eating. I started at about the same weight as you. It makes me feel better to find others who start out a little lower.

Edited by Michie_be_me

12 minutes ago, Michie_be_me said:

Oh my gosh, you know you are not supposed to make a pre op gal laugh. thank you for sharing, I have a call into my doctor for some other questions, so I will mention this as well. I had similar problems pre op with the steal turd reference. I so get it. afraid that will be the case now as well. I was also looking for some sleevers who's weight was not super high. I am in that league also and felt guilty posting my starting weight so I didn't. I have a lot of medical problems that are due to my uncontrollable eating. I started at about the same weight as you. It makes me feel better to find others who start out a little lower.

yea totally get that. people in my world couldnt even understand why id volentarily put my body through this trauma with such a relatively low weight...

im with you :)

I had my surgery two days ago was send home with liquid oxycodine,pantraproze,ondansetron I just feel like I’m not taking to much liquids full very quickly

4 hours ago, xiomara said:

I had my surgery two days ago was send home with liquid oxycodine,pantraproze,ondansetron I just feel like I’m not taking to much liquids full very quickly

I hope you get through the rough parts very quickly. Wishing you speedy healing.