Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All-

I'm less than two weeks away from surgery, and am already thinking of how to conceal Hair loss. At my 6 month mark I will be at our annual corporate event, so my hair is going to look awful. How did you conceal your hair loss? Scarf? Hat? Wig? I'd love to hear about your experience. TIA!

12 hours ago, Jingle123423 said:

Hi All-

I'm less than two weeks away from surgery, and am already thinking of how to conceal Hair loss. At my 6 month mark I will be at our annual corporate event, so my hair is going to look awful. How did you conceal your Hair loss? Scarf? Hat? Wig? I'd love to hear about your experience. TIA!

Your hair loss may not be as bad as you think. No one knows that result until it happens. I guess all the above are options. Another product for thinning hair is toppik

https://www.amazon.com/TOPPIK-Hair-Building-Fibers-Brown/dp/B000CBVAQ0?th=1

My hair started out pretty thick - so while I noticed every single hair that fell out the general public didn't notice. I was very lucky to not have any bare spots or anything like that. I talked to my hairdresser and got my hair cut into a short bob to help make it look fuller. I also tried out a few different hair care products to see what worked the best. Personally I use a Shampoo and conditioner designed to make thin hair look fuller and they work really well. I also cut back and only wash my hair every other day in cooler Water, never wear ponytails to avoid additional breakage and I stopped coloring my hair for several months to try and avoid any further damage. I take a moderate dose of Biotin every day as well - my surgeon has seen some issues with high doses of biotin so she really cautions against loading up on it to avoid Hair loss.

I wear a messy bun on the top of my hair. I use a hair piece over the bun to give it fullness and I do these front pieces as "swoops wrapped around the bun kinda audrey hepburn style. It's easy to do if you partition your hair. My hair is so thin and sparce now and you can't tell with it done this way.

I wear a pineapple hairstyle, headbands or part my hair differently. I also keep my hair frizzy/curly to try and conceal it

What type of issues has your surgeon seen with the Biotin?

I'm thinking a sock bun (there are foam tubes for this if you don't want to use a sock) would be a good way to conceal if you don't want to cut, especially if you use a colored spray or Toppix or something to fill in the hairline.

I plan to go short, well not Howie Mandel short, cause he shaves bald, but my hair curls when it gets pixie short!💥👼💢

My hair is baby fine and it's been thin ever since I had my kids. It started falling out about 3 months post-op and although it has slowed, it's still coming out. I can now see my scalp. I suppose it's not obvious to others, but I notice and I don't like it!

Currently, my hair is just a little past my shoulders and as much as I like putting it up, I'm getting tired of teasing it to hide the thinning scalp.

Just made an appointment to have it cut on Saturday and will probably take it up to chin length. I'm not brave enough for a pixie, but the style I have in mind is close.

I lost about 30%-50% of my volume between months 3 and 5. But even at that amount of loss, it is only noticeable if I pull my hair back, and the thinning around my hairline and temples shows.

At first I was super self conscience about it. But now I realize that 99% of people would never even looks closely enough to notice. I pull my hair back whenever I want now, except for meetings or dates, or any other time I want to look my "best".

I dealt with a lot of Hair loss. To be honest, no one else seemed to notice but I sure did! I went from having lots and lots of hair (once overheard hairdresser complain about much hair I have) to very thin hair.

I avoid ponytails, I didn’t like the tiny little thing poking out of my head. I bought volumiser shampoos and mousses and I blow dry my hair. Messy Buns work pretty well.

I also got those grey covering sprays and would spray them over any spots in my scalp that looked sparse. I don’t need to do that anymore because I have regrowth now.

I also watch my hair parting carefully. It can reveal balder spots depending on how you comb your hair.

I actually struggle more now with dealing with regrowth and having half my hair shoulder length and half my hair about 2-3inches. It is super, super annoying dealing with tufts flicking up everywhere. It’s growing back pretty fast but I just wish it would be faster. I’m not willing to get a short cut. That’s just not me. So I have bobby pins in awkward spots and lots of hair wax.

I have also played around with curling my hair too for added texture too. There are lots of things you can try. At one point, I thought I needed hair extensions but I am glad I resisted. Honestly, I want my hair and scalp as healthy as possible to assist regrowth.

just remember that even though it’s super obvious to you, most people are pretty oblivious. I do sometimes look at my before photos and gasp at my lucious hair. But I would trade my VSG for anything.

Edited by LaLaDee

By 8-9 mos out I got extensions. Stillhave them at 13 mo out. Love them. I probably lost 70%of my hair.

I just recently got my hair cut. I have always had very very thick hair. Thankfully no one notices but me. I love my new shorter haircut and now that I have lost weight I don't hide behind my long hair!

I’m one of the ones who cut off a foot of hair and love it, but the most important thing I’d suggest? CHANGE your hairstyle. Doesn’t have to be a drastic cut, but do something significantly different overall. Otherwise you’re hyper-aware of the minute changes in your hair. Make a big change and the tiny stuff becomes unnoticeable.