Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm wondering how often everyone is weighing them selves?

I waited a week to look (this morning) after my surgery. I found the number exciting, but I know it wont always be this substantial. . .

Does getting on the scale daily/weekly/ect get anyone down?
Or do you find it motivating?

Is there a sweet spot frequency wise?

There is a scale at my work, so I weigh every Monday morning right after I get to work. I like weighing weekly, as it lets me know how I'm doing, but I'm not obsessing over weight at all, which is how I am personally if I weigh daily.

21 minutes ago, LeiaStone said:

I waited a week to look (this morning) after my surgery. I found the number exciting, but I know it wont always be this substantial. . .

I weigh once a week on Thursdays (which was surgery day).

18 minutes ago, LeiaStone said:

No matter what you do, try to make sure you weigh in the same exact way each time. Same time of day, same amount of clothing (or none) same routine before hand etc etc etc.

I weigh in daily. I wouldn't advise it. I think weekly would be a decent number to shoot for.
I say I don't advise a daily weigh in, because, well, it gets maddening.

I do it to keep a trend. My scale tracks body fat % as well, so I use my daily weigh ins as a method to ensure I'm tracking the trend of my weight and body fat losses. It's also easy for me to keep it in my daily wake up routine to ensure the best possible consistency.

I get up, get a cup of coffee, drink a bunch of Water, veg out on the throne for a while, then I do some stretching and I check my weight. Pretty much the same exact time every morning (the weekends are my only variations to this).

It's frustrating and maddening because, you see every increase and stall. Having the body fat % as well helps, because there are plenty of times when I stall out or gain and my body fat drops.

I weigh weekly on sundays as I get up after I use the bathroom. But I do cheat sometimes and weigh myself during the week since I work from home. I try not to because weight fluctuates so much during the week and i don’t want to panic myself.

@it'sonlythefirststep @FancyChristine15 Thank you for sharing!!
I'm leaning toward weekly my self, sounds like it might be the sweet spot. :) And you both seem like you're doing great that way!

I definitely don't want to get obsessed, and I know I'm pretty easily discouraged sooo...seeing every little up, stall or fluctuation would probably make me crazy.

@Matt Z Props though! WOW is that dedicated! I think the making sure as many things are the same as can be for every weigh in is a really, really good idea. Looks like its really working for you too! Thanks for sharing!

@Letsgetgoing2018

That sounds so much like me! I'd get tempted on old regular diets and weigh at weird times...and get pretty discouraged.

@GreenTealael I'm pretty tempted by that honestly, it must take a lot of self control!

It’s tough. My desk is right in my bedroom by the scale. It’s too easy.

I weigh i every morning I'm home. Naked and after I use the restroom.

BUT, I'm not easily stressed out or obsessive. If I stall, it sucks, but I totally realize it's normal and part of the process. I have no expectation that the scale will drop every day.

So I'd only recommend weighing in daily if you can keep a healthy perspective about it.

I weigh daily - every morning after a bathroom stop (TMI). I have been consistent. I am starting to relax about stalls and minor fluctuation, Last week was tough, as I was on vacation, and our vacation house didn't have a scale. I was worried all week!

I weigh weekly on Monday mornings... It keeps me trying through the weekend since I know my I'm going to weigh in Monday....

I weigh myself every Friday morning--the weekly anniversary of my surgery and at special milestones like month anniversaries.

I was getting obsessed, weighing everyday, multiple times a day. I am not a big NSV girl. I need to see numbers go down to stay motivated. But I am slowly getting control of the compulsion.