Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Before and After Photos

@ShoppGirl: well that looks pretty awesome for your first try, heck it looks pretty awesome even if it was your 100th try! #ilovequiche

So whats the verdict? Did it taste as good as it looks?

re: calorie counts: yeah, almond flour, while low in carbs actually has more cals than wheat based flours. Using turkey bacon though is def lower in cals than the same amount of regular bacon.

Some things i can think of to lower the calorie count for a possible next attempt:

— switch to a no-butter crust (included a recipe i used before at the bottom of this post). Not even close to as rich and flaky as a butter based one, but it’ll do. And its super easy to execute.

— reduce the amount of cheese

— sub out a couple whole eggs for 2 egg whites each.

- use lower fat milk (2% or whole, or even cashew milk) instead of heavy cream.

Easy Crust (chill time 20 mins)

• 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1⁄3 cup olive oil (or canola oil)
  • 1⁄3 cup ice water

1. Mix flour and salt with fork.
  2. Beat oil and Water with whisk or fork to thicken.
  3. Pour into flour and mix with fork, then hands until ball forms
  4. Roll out the dough and press into pie/cake pan
  5. Poke with fork several times and put in the fridge for min 20 mins…longer if u can.)
  6. Use! ta-da!

Edited by ms.sss

33 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

@ShoppGirl: well that looks pretty awesome for your first try, heck it looks pretty awesome even if it was your 100th try! #ilovequiche

So whats the verdict? Did it taste as good as it looks?

re: calorie counts: yeah, almond flour, while low in carbs actually has more cals than wheat based flours. Using turkey bacon though is def lower in cals than the same amount of regular bacon.

Some things i can think of to lower the calorie count for a possible next attempt:

— switch to a no-butter crust (included a recipe i used before at the bottom of this post). Not even close to as rich and flaky as a butter based one, but it’ll do. And its super easy to execute.

— reduce the amount of cheese

— sub out a couple whole eggs for 2 egg whites each.

- use lower fat milk (2% or whole, or even cashew milk) instead of heavy cream.

Easy Crust (chill time 20 mins)

• 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1⁄3 cup olive oil (or canola oil)
  • 1⁄3 cup ice water

1. Mix flour and salt with fork.
  2. Beat oil and Water with whisk or fork to thicken.
  3. Pour into flour and mix with fork, then hands until ball forms
  4. Roll out the dough and press into pie/cake pan
  5. Poke with fork several times and put in the fridge for min 20 mins…longer if u can.)
  6. Use! ta-da!

Yea, It tasted really good. It did call for almond milk and the crust didn’t call for butter, but it was still 438 calories a serving which was 1/10th of the pie. I cut it into 12 so that helped cut them a bit. I think if I ever made another quiche I would leave out the bacon though and try your crust. I honestly think it would have been better with just veggies and of course lower calories. But yes, very good. Especially after craving it so much that I made a special trip to the store for ingredients because yours looked so yummy. Lol.

Ms sss. I forgot to ask. Was one cup of cheese already reduced or could I reduce that further? Is a minimum amount of cheese needed to help it set?

I am on clear liquid diet so I cant wait till I can try that quiche .+-I think some zucchini from my garden would go great.I am going for a massive surgery Monday around 8 hrs. long so if u pray please keep me in your prayers, As for my sleeve progress 9 mos out, I lost 88 lbs! !

3 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Ms sss. I forgot to ask. Was one cup of cheese already reduced or could I reduce that further? Is a minimum amount of cheese needed to help it set?

Cheese isn’t required at all for a quiche actually…you can put as little or as much as u want (or none at all…but cheese is delicious so ours is always loaded with cheese!)

Mr. went on pizza making mode and fed our little party with a whole lotta pizzas!

Each one was different and would be too much to list out the different toppings here (plus, i’m lazy!), but i will say that i had a bite of 6 of the 8 pizzas (i skipped the plain margarita one and the one with olives) and my fave was the one with the truffle bechamel base, crispy prosciutto, and grilled pineapple. They didn’t want to top any of the pizzas with some spicy anchovies before it went in the pizza oven, so i just added some afterwards. Still worked, yum!

My six bites was probably equivalent to 1 slice of pizza in total, and with all the different toppings, i just estimated 220 calories in MFP. 🤷🏻‍♀️

5C522BF3-C1E9-4226-AD9B-E39F58AF88CB.thumb.jpeg.ed08ff893b8e0649d57df52ea28d7bc5.jpeg

What about trying a crustless quiche or impossible quiche as we call them in Australia. You add flour to the filling mix & when it bakes it settles & forms a denser layer at the bottom. Very quick to make too. Lots of recipes about. Some are less than 300 calories a slice. Once you have the basic recipe you can add any ingredients to the filling: salmon smoked or tinned, tuna, zucchini, asparagus, …

This is a basic one - no calories though. https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/impossible-quiche-2/8244d479-b108-4b9c-9727-25e7041d8fd2

10 hours ago, Arabesque said:

What about trying a crustless quiche or impossible quiche as we call them in Australia. You add flour to the filling mix & when it bakes it settles & forms a denser layer at the bottom. Very quick to make too. Lots of recipes about. Some are less than 300 calories a slice. Once you have the basic recipe you can add any ingredients to the filling: salmon smoked or tinned, tuna, zucchini, asparagus, …

This is a basic one - no calories though. https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/impossible-quiche-2/8244d479-b108-4b9c-9727-25e7041d8fd2

But the crust is the best part!!!! Otherwise its just a fritatta, lol.

I’ve had quiche on the brain for days now, and i was also thinking a chicken crust would also be an option. Less carbs, less cals, lotsa protein! And delicious! I’ve done chicken crust pizzas successfully , cant see why it couldn’t be adapted as a savoury pie shell…??

Easy peasy: 1lb ground chicken, 1/4 cup grated parm, 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella. Mix and press to shape on parchment paper or pie pan, bake at 400 for 20 mins. Then use as desired. Yields enough for 2 9” pizza crusts (and likely 2 regular depth pie pans)…approx 800 cals for all of it.

13 hours ago, Arabesque said:

That’s a good idea for the weight loss phase. I agree with what ms. Sss said, the crust is the best part, but for now a frittata or impossible quiche is probably the better choice 😢 Thanks for the suggestion.

3 hours ago, ms.sss said:

But the crust is the best part!!!! Otherwise its just a fritatta, lol.

I’ve had quiche on the brain for days now, and i was also thinking a chicken crust would also be an option. Less carbs, less cals, lotsa protein! And delicious! I’ve done chicken crust pizzas successfully , cant see why it couldn’t be adapted as a savoury pie shell…??

Easy peasy: 1lb ground chicken, 1/4 cup grated parm, 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella. Mix and press to shape on parchment paper or pie pan, bake at 400 for 20 mins. Then use as desired. Yields enough for 2 9” pizza crusts (and likely 2 regular depth pie pans)…approx 800 cals for all of it.

I agree 100% about the crust being the best part. And I WILL be hitting you up again for that deep dish recipe when I get to maintenance phase. Let us know how the chicken crust works out. I have also had homemade cauliflower crust pizza that was pretty good. I wonder if that could be used as a pie crust.

Been making these a ton (I can eat about 3-4 of them) and even my husband loves them. Sorry I don't have a pic.

Homemade chicken Nuggets
(one can makes about 9-12 nuggets depending on how big you form them)

1 12.5 oz can of Chunk Chicken in Water drained, rinsed and squeezed of the excess water
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp (or more/less to your taste) Ranch Seasoning powder
1 tbsp (or more/less to your taste) hot sauce of choice (I use Franks Original)
1 egg
Salt & Pepper (just shake some in)
Onion powder (just shake some in)
Garlic Salt (just shake some in)
Paprika (just shake some in)
Parsley (just shake some in)

Mix it all together and form into the size of your typical store/fast food nugget. Sorta squeeze the chicken together while forming the shape. Place pieces into an air fryer that has been sprayed with non-stick spray of choice. Spray tops of nuggets with spray. Cook for 12 minutes on 390. Flip at 6 minutes mark and spray again with spray. Serve right away with or without dip of choice. I usually use Ranch or mix a little mayo with hot sauce and use that. Sometimes I use nothing.

On 08/14/2021 at 14:24, ms.sss said:

Mr. went on pizza making mode and fed our little party with a whole lotta pizzas!

Each one was different and would be too much to list out the different toppings here (plus, i’m lazy!), but i will say that i had a bite of 6 of the 8 pizzas (i skipped the plain margarita one and the one with olives) and my fave was the one with the truffle bechamel base, crispy prosciutto, and grilled pineapple. They didn’t want to top any of the pizzas with some spicy anchovies before it went in the pizza oven, so i just added some afterwards. Still worked, yum!

My six bites was probably equivalent to 1 slice of pizza in total, and with all the different toppings, i just estimated 220 calories in MFP. 🤷🏻‍♀️

5C522BF3-C1E9-4226-AD9B-E39F58AF88CB.thumb.jpeg.ed08ff893b8e0649d57df52ea28d7bc5.jpeg

Oh Dear Lord
I wouldn’t survive in your house!! The temptation! Looks so yummy!!

On 08/15/2021 at 09:43, ms.sss said:

Why yes, yes I did:

D77583FB-91EE-4D4B-BF80-0ACF1B58FECD.thumb.jpeg.4f79071151bf286cb126366221ce06ef.jpeg

Ok. I’m not sure what you do for a living but I hope it’s a chef or some type of cook bc if you’re not doing those then you need to be! I’m sure it tastes as good as it looks too!! They are all so picture perfect!!

On 08/15/2021 at 09:43, ms.sss said:

Why yes, yes I did:

D77583FB-91EE-4D4B-BF80-0ACF1B58FECD.thumb.jpeg.4f79071151bf286cb126366221ce06ef.jpeg

(PS I love your succulent plant!!)