Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non sweet protein

@nibble I know you're in Michigan and I'm in Ohio, almost the same thing unless you're a Micigan or Ohio State can Anyhow where did. you get Great Lakes Protein, is it something Meijer has exclusively or can you get somewhere else?

not can , you're not a trash receptacle but you still could be a fan!🏈⚽⚽⚾

20 minutes ago, jjacobs0816 said:

If sweet isn't your thing. stay away from those shots. I ordered some before surgery and forgot about them until last week. I tried one and couldn't not even finish it. I have not tried adding to Water to dilute. TOO sweet for me.

Premier Protein doesn't make me sick, im just sick of them! Ive recently bought GENEPRO powder and that has helped. I need to be more dedicated to getting all that Protein in also!

Thank you I'm glad I didn't buy them! I did try some "liquid protein" from Amazon that was awful and I did not tolerate it well at all.

I never really liked Premier, but I've been able to get them down before surgery, but now I feel so nauseated whenever I try pretty much every powder, shake, or bar that I've tried. I can sometimes make myself eat the bars, but they still make me feel sick so I cant make myself do it often. I feel frustrated because I know I need protein, but I've spent so much money trying different ones and they have all been the same.

I noticed my liquid diet sheet says
SlimFast Advanced High Protein Powder mixed with 1 cup Almond Milk, I don't if that would cut the sweetie taste down or not.

4 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Anyhow where did. you get Great Lakes Protein, is it something Meijer has exclusively or can you get somewhere else?

I ordered from Amazon. I also use Unjury unflavored whey isolate Protein, but really don't care for it, and only use it in chocolate or latte Protein Drinks. For everything else, I use the Great Lakes Green, adding a capsule of the 5HTP to make it a complete protein. For Soups and such, I use the Great Lakes orange (I'm so done with jello!). So I feel I get a balance of dairy protein and then the collagen protein (no discernible taste - it is really neutral and dissolves in hot or cold (the green does -- the orange stuff needs boiling water). Add either one to boullion cubes for chicken Soup with ramped up protein. Very tasty.

IMG_7714.jpg

IMG_7715.jpg

IMG_7716.jpg

IMG_7717.jpg

IMG_7719.JPG

IMG_7720.JPG

Edited by nibble
wordsmithing

5 hours ago, AstroCat said:

unflavored Isopure in some sugar free cocoa mix (doctor told me to try that) and two sips in and I had to put my daughter in her crib because my stomach hurt so bad I needed to lay down

I wonder if you are reacting to the lactose. I have trouble sometimes with too much lactose, so I throw into my shakes 1 or 2 Lactaid caplets to prevent cramps, bloating, and all the other things... it works great for me.

6 hours ago, AstroCat said:

I never really liked Premier, but I've been able to get them down before surgery, but now I feel so nauseated whenever I try pretty much every powder, shake, or bar that I've tried. I can sometimes make myself eat the bars, but they still make me feel sick so I cant make myself do it often. I feel frustrated because I know I need Protein, but I've spent so much money trying different ones and they have all been the same.

At 4 weeks post op I became intolerant of whey protein, shakes, bars, protein Water, etc.. They all made me extremely nauseous. I switched to non whey based protein, mainly casein (Muscle Milk premade shakes) and soy. I also like several of the Soups offered here this site, non sweet and not whey based.

With the info I posted about collagen and beef Protein, thought I should pass along this article that came in today

from livestrong.com about potential side effects of collagen supplements -- although this article focused on collagen

from marine sources... https://www.livestrong.com/article/325664-side-effects-of-taking-collagen-supplements/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=081418_tue_roundup&c_crid=cta1

I drink Bariatric Choice drinks bc I’m lactose intolerant. 15 grams of Protein. Cut the little pouch open and pour liquid into Water. If it’s too sweet add more water 😊 for nausea from anything I use Preggie drops they are a Godsend!

I drink lite muscle milk, chocolate. costco has box of 18 for $20. 20 gr Protein, I drink 2 day, get the rest of protein from food. I am 1 year out. Not sweet at all.

This may not be your cup of tea, and I'm not sure of its availability where you live, but I love silken tofu, perhaps you can consider it?

When I was on my 2 weeks pre-op diet, I got so sick of all the sweet Protein Shakes and was craving something salty that I racked my brain for alternative. I came up with this very simple dish, which is basically 1 serving of plain silken tofu topped with 3/4 tbsp miso paste diluted a little bit with Water or broth to the consistency of a sauce. You can either eat it cold (like the Japanese do in the summer) or pop it in the microwave for a few seconds.

You would not believe how good silken tofu tastes after almost 2 weeks being deprived of flavors (but don't forget the miso sauce, otherwise it would be very bland. Or you can experiment and use any available sauces but miso is made from soybeans, so it will help with the Protein as well).

I am only 5 days post op and my dietitian gave me a no-go on silken tofu until after the pureed food stage. I personally think I could already handle silken tofu now as it is very soft but I'm not taking any chances.

I’m so with you— I can’t stand the Protein Shake options.
I was doing broth with unflavored Protein, but I get burnt out on that fast— but good with add ins like garlic and ginger too.

My favorite thing right now is low fat Greek yogurt with unflavored protein and a giant shake of TJ’s everything but the bagel seasoning (though I’m not sure it’s completely ok because it has poppy seeds and sesame seeds in it), za’atar or just salt and pepper.

The cream of Tomato Soup from BariatricPal pal is super yummy though I haven’t asked the nut about it. I got the variety pack of Soups and I enjoy them, but they aren’t whey protein isolate.

Pre-op I was a big fan of the Syntrax Nectars Fuzzy Navel and Grapefruit that I made with 30 oz of Water and a ton of ice cubes. Now, it will take me all day to drink that and it isn’t the same without a straw! Still, they are decent with less water!
The only RTD protein shake I really can stand is Iconic Protein in chocolate. It doesn’t taste artificial or very sweet (they have a Golden milk option that sounds good, and coffee but I can’t have caffeine)

I bought the starter kit of Bariatric Fusion shakes & Soup mixes from the Bariatric Pal Store and was so glad I got the chicken Soup and Tomato Soup packets -- I've had those for the last two days for dinner with my family and it was great to have a break from the sweet! I am so over chocolate, vanilla, banana, ick. Would I have liked these packets before surgery? I can't tell you, but they are such a welcome break from the monotony now. Chicken soup flavor was delicious.

Those really must be good shakes and Soups from Bariatric fusion, hearing good reports on them