Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non sweet protein

Just had my month and a half check up (30 pounds lost!) And talked to my Dr about Protein. Premier and like drinks make me very nauseated. I tried non whey, and they are better but still make me feel off.

I was wanting to try something maybe not as sweet, hoping it's just that the chocolatey/vanilla/strawberry drinks are too sweet, so thinking of trying something new. Was wondering if anyone had any that they suggest and like? I saw the Protein Shots on here, but my Dr said I would need 3-4 a day, and at $10 for a 4 pack I can't really afford it. I also saw the Liquid Protein that you can mix with your own fluids, wondering if anyone had tried those and like those?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Currently just getting my protein from meat, cheese and nuts, but I know I need more protein. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

Just had my month and a half check up (30 pounds lost!) And talked to my Dr about Protein. Premier and like drinks make me very nauseated. I tried non whey, and they are better but still make me feel off.

I was wanting to try something maybe not as sweet, hoping it's just that the chocolatey/vanilla/strawberry drinks are too sweet, so thinking of trying something new. Was wondering if anyone had any that they suggest and like? I saw the Protein Shots on here, but my Dr said I would need 3-4 a day, and at $10 for a 4 pack I can't really afford it. I also saw the Liquid Protein that you can mix with your own fluids, wondering if anyone had tried those and like those?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Currently just getting my Protein from meat, cheese and nuts, but I know I need more protein. Thanks!

Isopure unflavored protein is really good.
There are also savory flavored Proteins as well, a Company called "Ancient Nutrition" has various "Bone broth Protein" that comes in "Savory Herb" flavor.
Unjury has a chicken Broth flavored protein.

But Isopure's unflavored mixes really well with pretty much anything.

Edited by Matt Z

I switched to Unjury brand.

The unflavored can be added to whatever you like. *I routinely put a little extra in my greek yogurt to make it "super yogurt". When I was still on liquid diet, I'd make "protein jello" or pudding with extra Protein with it (SF, of course). Unjury also has a chicken Soup flavored one. It's a little high in sodium, but when you've just had enough of the sweet Protein Drinks, it's very satisfying.

Caution: putting Unjury in liquids >140 degrees makes it sort of curdle. So, I wouldn't cook with it or put it in extra hot water/milk. The hot Water dispenser out of the company coffee maker seemed just perfect. If I was at home, I would temp check before adding the Unjury.

You can add unflavored powder into any flavor of Soup, just not too hot, as @S@ssen@ch said. I add it to oatmeal, too. And congrats on 30# in 6 weeks. Awesome!

Also, the Protein waters are not as sweet as the shakes. They're still sweet, but not as much and the texture is lighter.

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

I do the Isopure non-flavored as well. I put it in Soup and yogurt. I won't lie, it has a bit of an after taste but it is better than the sweet shakes all the time.

Premier Protein is disgustingly sweet--I can only use it for coffee. If you ever got back to the chocolate or vanilla try the isopure for that as well. Much less potent.

shake It Raw PEa Protein is not sweet. I add it to other shakes to boost the protein and cut their intense flavor.

I use Unjury unflavored whey, but also use Great Lakes Protein (green canister). It is not a complete protein, lacking the tryptophan, but you can add that separately. It can be used in very hot liquids/soups/etc without curdling. It is good to thicken Soups. dressings and such. I also use Great Lakes Gelatin protein (orange canister) as that will congeal for jello-type stuff, dissolving in boiling Water like other gelatins. Both are Kosher, too.

You can try flavors that aren't as sweet. Like Peanut Butter.

Another great recommendation is to mix to your Protein Shakes with coffee. For example a Premier Protein and coffee is great and it's not very sweet, the bitterness of the coffee really cuts through any sweetness of the shakes

I'll definitely look into Isopure and Unjyry, thanks guys!

- that's a great idea to add it into Soup and yogurt too. I did try adding some off brand "grass-fed protein" (not sure, it was the only flavorless Protein I could find when I first had surgery so we grabbed it so I could add it to clear liquids) but it clumped terribly in the soup.

I did try some premier mixed with coffee, but I'm not a big fan of coffee so it didn't help too much. Though I was able to get more down than I could normal ones!

4 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

congrats on 30# in 6 weeks. Awesome!

Thank you! I need to go update my ticker, I was super excited! I started swimming for more exercise too! :)

Edited by AstroCat

I stopped all foods that had any sweet taste post surgery. I wanted to reset my gut bugs because sweet cravings come from the bad gut bugs who insist you continue eating sweet things. So my Protein was NorCal organic grass fed whey powder, PLAIN. I missed it with raw milk (something I am used to, not for starting anew right after surgery, but it was so good for me and has some Probiotics in it naturally). You can mix it with Water. It wasn’t about tasting good, it was about eating to live.

after a while though I found it was best to mix Protein Powder with plain full fat organic Greek yogurt. A very small volume gives you SO MUCH PROTEIN. And now almost a year later, it is my go to way of getting in all my protein. Sometimes I will with in some prebiotics like a tbsp of flax seed or inulin. Perfect food that tastes plain and not sweet. You eat it for what it does for you. Gives you strength, gets rid of your hunger. You know how good it is for you.

I have tried a few different proteins- even the Isopure, but every time I've tried them I felt really nauseated. I have found that the bars are a little bit better than the drinks and powder though so I've been trying to focus on one of those a day.. I worry cause I know I"m not getting as much as recommended, but I do focus on Protein for all of my meals and found myself making so much healthier choices than I used to. I may try that with the yogurt- though I worry because I tried some of the unflavored Isopure in some sugar free cocoa mix (doctor told me to try that) and two sips in and I had to put my daughter in her crib because my stomach hurt so bad I needed to lay down for a good half hour. Wish Protein wasn't so hard.

On the plus side- down 38 pounds as of a week and a half ago!

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:26 PM, AstroCat said:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Currently just getting my Protein from meat, cheese and nuts, but I know I need more protein. Thanks!

If sweet isn't your thing. stay away from those shots. I ordered some before surgery and forgot about them until last week. I tried one and couldn't not even finish it. I have not tried adding to Water to dilute. TOO sweet for me.

Premier Protein doesn't make me sick, im just sick of them! Ive recently bought GENEPRO powder and that has helped. I need to be more dedicated to getting all that protein in also!