Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been hospitalized many times and had four major surgeries, all abdominal. I say that you should bring everything you think you may need. If you have complications, you will be there longer than expected. If you do not bring something, you will have to ask someone to bring it to you.

One thing to remember, no matter what you bring, you will have to take it home with you. If you bring a lot of things, make sure you have help leaving. You are going to be sore.

The most important thing (other than all the other important things) that I make sure I bring are my hiking sandals. My current pair is made by Keen but I've also had Tevas over the years as well. They slip on easily and they make the hall walking much more comfortable. The socks with the tread on them are uncomfortable for me and it sucks trying to put on socks after you've had abdominal surgery.

I packed a bag... used nothing except my toothbrush and going home outfit 🤷🏽‍♀️

11 hours ago, macadamia said:

I've been hospitalized many times and had four major surgeries, all abdominal. I say that you should bring everything you think you may need. If you have complications, you will be there longer than expected. If you do not bring something, you will have to ask someone to bring it to you.

One thing to remember, no matter what you bring, you will have to take it home with you. If you bring a lot of things, make sure you have help leaving. You are going to be sore.

The most important thing (other than all the other important things) that I make sure I bring are my hiking sandals. My current pair is made by Keen but I've also had Tevas over the years as well. They slip on easily and they make the hall walking much more comfortable. The socks with the tread on them are uncomfortable for me and it sucks trying to put on socks after you've had abdominal surgery.

I’ve been hospitalized a few times myself for abdominal surgeries (spinal fusion and c-section) and definitely used everything on the list...the hospital stays were longer though. And I’ll have my husband to help me going home 😀

The hospital told me no sandals; only sneakers to walk the halls.

On 7/8/2018 at 1:49 PM, Letsgetgoing2018 said:

My surgery is Tuesday. Thanks for posting these lists. Wasn’t sure what I should bring. Good luck to everyone with surgeries on the horizon!

All the best to you!

10 hours ago, Drealeeanne said:

I’ve been hospitalized a few times myself for abdominal surgeries (spinal fusion and c-section) and definitely used everything on the list...the hospital stays were longer though. And I’ll have my husband to help me going home 😀

The hospital told me no sandals; only sneakers to walk the halls.

I don't understand places that have that kind of restriction. Every hospital I've ever been in has provided treaded socks to walk in so how is that any better than sandals?

The sandals I have are hiking sandals - they look like sneakers with holes in them. They are very comfortable.

I packed as much as you and needed only my toiletries. The Hospital gave me everything.. I used their robe and Sox. I was in so much pain beauty was out the window. I couldn’t shower or drink anything the morning after my surgery. I use mouthwash allot because for some reason my breath smelled so bad and your mouth does get really dry. I never used the gasx the hospital feed all my meds through IV including gas and pain meds. Good luck with everything

I just had my surgery 6/26. What I used... robe, shoes (merrill sandals with rubber soles), gum, extra pillow, headphones and go home outfit. Most important was my power strip. The outlet closest to the bed was full, but I was able to plug in my strip and have enough outlets to plug in their stuff plus mine). I like to sleep with music so I needed my ipad charged plus my phone and I have a CPAP. Power was crucial. LOL.

My surgery is now postponed until Oct, but thanks for the packing recommendations. Never too early to start preparing.

Thank you for posting this topic! My surgery isn't for a couple more weeks but I have been thinking about what I want to bring with me. My surgery is scheduled for 7am Monday, and the surgeon said most likely I would be discharged around noon the next day, which is a much quicker turnaround time than I was expecting. Is this what all of you did/were told as well?

Either way I'm sure I'll DRASTICALLY overpack, but I'd rather have more things and not use stuff than be wishing I had something I didn't put in the bag!

Oh I have been watching and studying this forum intently. Since I do see my Dr Needleman on Tuesday 7/17 at 11:15AM EDT I could easily be joining you July 30-don't get your feelings hurt but I hope it's sooner, I'd like this all over in July- August will mark my 3rd anniversary of seeking Bariatric surgery, a Mama Elephant could about had 2 baby elephants in that time! But life is as life is & I am grateful I didn't die waiting for this surgery, people my age do die you know. Still, for me, 72 is still young enough for surgery. If my story is not as quick and smooth as the 20year olds, it is still MT STORY and that is good and sufficent for me! 🏣&😷&😛

Used my toothbrush, phone, charger and just went home in the same outfit I arrived in

1 minute ago, NYJenn said:

Used my toothbrush, phone, charger and just went home in the same outfit I arrived in

I definitely overpacked. Used my tooth brush toothpaste phone charger and wore same clothes home. Also used my slippers. That was it. You’re in for a short time - don’t need that much.

On 6/24/2018 at 10:03 PM, Drealeeanne said:

list of what I should include in my hospital bag - Is there anything I’m not considering?

@Drealeeanne

the kitchen sink:lol:

that's quite a list! LOL!

I wore my sweats home - brought clean socks and undies

hospital supplied all toiletries, chapstick could go on your list

didn't want or need any electronics ie cell phone, laptop - i slept having

wonderful dreams of my future with the sleeve

good luck

kathy