Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just over 2 months out from my VSG, down 58.5 pounds, and am finding myself struggling in 2 areas: Eating Out and Losing Motivation. I've eaten out three times now, and each time I've eaten too much, to the point of feeling uncomfortably full. Are people asking for a to go box right away when they order? I find I keep picking at the food, and of course I've barely made a dent in the huge portions restaurants serve. What are your tips for avoiding overeating in a restaurant?

My second problem is that since last Sunday, I have hit kind of a wall with motivation. I've had some significant family stressors crop up that has coincided with an ear infection/pain/loss of hearing in one ear for which I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow, and also a mental funk in that I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around my new size and the idea of losing more weight. I recently swapped out all my old clothes for clothes 3 sizes smaller. I'm almost halfway to a healthy BMI, but truth be told, I'd be happy with an additional 30 pounds of weight loss (not necessarily another 60 pounds which is almost too much to even imagine). Hopefully this ambivalence and lack of motivation is temporary. I don't have the absolute clear minded focus I had in the early days post-op. I didn't deviate from the recommended eating plan, I was exercising with the frequency recommended by my bariatric clinic; all was going great, and I FELT great. I'm trying to take things moment by moment, day by day, and letting myself have a little down time, focusing on the family stressors and paid work, doing the best I can with following the eating plan, and letting go of exercise for this week, or at least until I can muster the energy to resume. I also have a sense of urgency though in that there is a window during which weight loss happens, and after that window closes, weight loss becomes much more difficult once again. I don't want to waste my window of opportunity. I want my motivation back! Has anyone else experienced this or something similar? Any perspective/advice/words of wisdom to share?

i order from the appetizers and ask for my iced tea in a to go cup right from the start.

as for the rest it is as much habit as anything. you need a consistent time then just go don't think it over just go at the same time everyday just like an appointment. you create the habit of doing it so it is not a decision you have to make. after you get there it is easy to go thru the routine just get yourself there.

Of course you lack motivation. Your body is fighting off an infection right now. Get treatment from your Doctor and then re-evaluate how you feel. One or two weeks of recuperation are not going to sabotage your weight loss efforts. I hope you feel better soon.

I took a break from working out the week my ex left. Probably a little over a week if I really think about it. I followed the eating plan still but lost nothing, even gained back a pound. I now have that same “urgent” feeling you described about the time the weight comes off easiest. I’m 7 months out so my window is near! The thing that got my back in the gym was remembering my WHY. My WHY the h did I even do this? Why did I invest all of this time and money into myself? Think about it. I’m sure you have a why.

My second thought is about the eating out. I’m not sure why you need to since you didn’t specify, but even if it’s the best take out or fast food ever, nothing beats meal prepping and eating at home where you know exactly what’s going in your pouch. But sometimes life happens So perhaps that’s your case, but if at all possible I’d be eating at home and tracking in a fitness app like MyFitnessPal.

I hope all all gets better and you get to feeling more like the previous months. It gets rocky sometimes, we all know it. ☹️

Eating out is fun and a way many people socialize. Over time you will find what is easy and things you can go to. I’m almost all Protein all the time. I split meals with my partner. He will get a salads and sides then half a steak. Plenty for both. Steak houses and bbq places are great. Easy. We order a lot of meat and cheese trays. Easy to determine portions. Very social. pizza with the tops scraped off. Meatballs are great and proportioned. I try hard to only keep the portion I can have on my plate. Share the rest or put in box

I have also been known to have a ziplock bag in my pocket. I don’t care if a piece of steak waits for my to put it in the frig. Within reason.

At restaurants if everything is too big or not on plan I'm ordering coffee or tea plain and simple.

As for motivation I can't rely on it so I have to make things routine and plan for the gym and even the non gym days which means I have to walk more. So planning ahead is crucial for me because motivation is too rare for me to count on.

• Like 1

I order off the kids menu if they have decent options most restaurants do and you are doing great just give yourself time to get over your ear infection. Most times people get weak when sick and fall out of their normal routine just get back to it when you feel better
  • Like 1

I eat out multiple times a week. I honestly don’t have any tricks or tips. I just stop eating when full and then have my plate taken away.

i get it on the motivation. I am at a weight now that I could be comfortable with. I feel good and look pretty good in clothes. But when I undress and look in the mirror, I know I have a long way to go still.

When I go out to eat (at least twice a week since I was 2 months out, 25 months ago) I have done the following: order a Protein based appetizer if available or main meal if not. Eyeball the amount I usually eat and section that off from the rest for eating. Put the rest in a take out box. For instance, if I am in a burger place, I get a cheeseburger and cut it in half. Half gets eaten and the other half goes in the box. Even with appetizers I usually bring another meal home. For Entrees I’ll get 1-3 leftover meals.