Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st day of pre-op diet - 8 hours in - absolutely starving!!!!

Ask about broths. Something savory may help you.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, Creekimp13 said:

Why would you think starvation level calories are "head hunger"?

Just because you're fat doesn't mean that anytime you experience hunger it's "just in your head."

Fat people get hungry, too. Legitimately hungry. Because...shockingly...our bodies also require calories to live.

Most folks on the pre-op diet are eating 800 or less calories per day. Your basal body requirements are much more than that.

It's ok to be hungry. And admit you're hungry. And it's ok to be intentionally hungry to shrink your liver. And it's hard, too.

When we try to take real hunger and pretend it's "just in our heads"....we cross into trading one eating disorder for another. Extremist thinking got us into this mess. Don't trade one extreme for another.

Head hunger = you've had a decent dinner of chicken breast and veggies, but you think you're hungry because you're craving a Big Mac and fries.

Real hunger = you would LOVE to eat some lean chicken breast and veggies because your tank is empty and it would satisfy you.

I guess I have trouble with this. Now that I'm on day 5, I'm not hungry really at all. But I miss eating. I have no idea how our bodies do this, handle being on this low of calories and still function. It's kinda blowing my mind that I'm able to work and just do life and only be eating 600 to 700 calories.

I know it’s crazy! I’m on day 5 now! I don’t feel weak at all but I am very hungry still. I’m managing well though. If I avoid others eating I find it’s a lot easier. I can’t be around food! My husband has been so good - eating quick microwave meals to reduce food smells and eating in his office away from me! It’s hard at work though around lunch time when people have hot lunches like Pasta. I’m craving Chinese food and the craving won’t shift!! Friday has always been our takeout night where I’d gorge myself stupid on bad food so it’ll be hard tonight! We can do it though! Staying strong!!!

LD....I had a weird Chinese food craving and my family likes to do celebration Friday night, too...

Confession...I picked up a little wonton Soup. I let my puppy eat the wontons and drank just the clear broth...and it was delicious. Got the rest of my family some Chinese and I didn't feel deprived. It wasn't exactly a cheat...but it was something special and hit the spot. For me...this helped. Other folks might find the other temptations kinda overwhelming and not worth it. But it worked for me.

3 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

LD....I had a weird Chinese food craving and my family likes to do celebration Friday night, too...

Confession...I picked up a little wonton Soup. I let my puppy eat the wontons and drank just the clear broth...and it was delicious. Got the rest of my family some Chinese and I didn't feel deprived. It wasn't exactly a cheat...but it was something special and hit the spot. For me...this helped. Other folks might find the other temptations kinda overwhelming and not worth it. But it worked for me.

I did the same thing with wonton Soup. I didn't consider it a cheat at all!

Wow, some of these are so strict. I could have 5 Protein Shakes a day, 2 eggs and 2 oz of cheese if I was starving.

I’m on day 1 if my pre-op diet. It’s 10 days and I can have a Protein Shake and piece of fruit for Breakfast, 3oz lean meat with veggies for supper and I can choose either of those options for lunch. I can also have unlimited pickles, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles and broth.

I was sleeved last August and I have to say, the two week pre op diet was the hardest part of the whole process! Honestly, I slept as much as possible bc if I was sleeping, I wasn’t focused on how hungry and miserable I was. The only thing that kept me going was knowing this was to shrink my liver otherwise, I probably would’ve failed. Hang in there!!! It is the hardest part! And let me tell you, it’ll be sooooooo worth it!!! Holding your hand through this whole process!

It will get better but it’s tough. Hang in there

On 06/18/2018 at 12:49, LD91 said:

Hi All!

First day of my pre-op diet today and I’m really struggling!

Feel so weak, tired and hungry!

Does anyone have any advice on how to curb the hungry/weak feeling? Will it get better?!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

We started our pre-op diet the same day. I am tired and have a headache but I am not hungry. I’m allowed 3 shakes and 2 100 max yogurts a day. I do 3 shakes and a yogurt and that is tough! My biggest issues are that as the days go on, I’m having a harder time getting my required stuff in because I’m too full. Also I miss chewing so much! chicken broth helps for when I need to cleanse my palette of all of the sweetness but the urge to chew is real! Good luck! Hope you’re doing better than I am at this point

On 6/20/2018 at 11:04 AM, Creekimp13 said:

I was allowed Decaf coffee, herbal tea, sugar free drinks.

I was also allowed sugar free Jello, clear broth, and sugar free Popsicles.

I got 5 premier protien shakes per day, plus ONE serving of the following:

a 100 calorie greek yogurt OR

one cup of cream of wheat OR

one cup of cream Soup.

I didn't get to eat meat and veggies like some folks do...I would have preferred that.

The last five days, were JUST the shakes and clear fluids.

I had a 14 day presurgical diet.

Lost 12 pounds.

Doctor said my liver looked terrific.

(my cheat with the turkey breast was on day 3...I fessed up to it...and it was ok)

Also...weirdly...my surgeon wanted us to carb load right before surgery....so we were instructed to drink a bunch of white grape juice the night before. I remember it making me feel super zippy and wide awake. I've never heard anyone else talk about this, so I think my surgeon might be an outlier. We do a lot of things kinda differently...part of a research project.

Weird question, but did you have your procedure done at Borgess? This is my plan exactly and I'm REALLY struggling through Day 4 . Lol.

It will definitely get better! I am on day 12 and it gets better. However, my dietician allowed me to eat vast amounts of specific vegetables. No starchy or fatty vegetables. I wonder if you can ask your dietician if you can as well.

Good luck!

It was definitely hardest the first few days, but also the BIG bowl of broth helped me feel a bit more satisfied. I added spices like a taco seasoning mix to mine and it was actually pretty tasty! Once I got into the habit of it though and as long as I had lots of sugar free liquid snack options (popsicles, crystal light, Jello pudding, etc) it became a lot easier. Also, seeing the weight loss was pretty cool - I was down 12 by the end of my pre-op!

I’m sorry, I didn’t read through your restrictions carefully enough! But I’d suggest asking about broths and sugar free/calorie free popsicles at your appointment!

Wow that IS restrictive, did they give you NO other things like sugar free jellos or sugar free popcycles?