Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The one thing you could not live without post surgery

7 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

unless you want the excuse to go buy one LOL!

Yeah it was a good excuse :)

1 hour ago, susunorm said:

Did anyone find it difficult to sleep in bed? Or would a recliner help for the first couple of weeks?

I’m on day 17 and I m still sleeping propped up. I think a lot of it now is due to me being a stomach sleeper.

Maybe its been mentioned already, but the alarms and timer on my FitBit.

Water consumption is really an issue until I remembered I could drink sf Vitamin water & gator ade!

Lip balm and cell phone charger for the hospital.

A good water bottle and a big loose tshirt/night gown for at home. I did NOT want to put on pants lol and love LOVED (and still do) the comfort of night shirts

I just had my surgery 9 days ago. These were my essentials that I was SO glad I had with me right after surgery:

Biotine dry mouth gel! You can't do surgery without this one. Your mouth is SO DRY its unbelievable. This really helped and you can get a small tube.

Chapstick - for the dry lips 2 days after surgery.

GasX strips. Used them day 2 and 3 and helped alleviate the gas pain. The nurses did not like that I used them and wanted me to get gas up only by walking but I was not about to be a gas martyr.

An electric heating pad for the pain 1-3 days post surgery. Boy am I glad I brought one. It was particularly helpful 24 hours after surgery. That heat gave me a lot of comfort from the pain.

Elastic Abdominal binder / Postpartum & Post Operative Belly Wrap - Beige, 3X-Large, - This was so helpful when I had to take 3 plane rides back home. Any kind of motion, even in the wheel chair, really hurts. The binder makes you feel held together and minimizes pain when moving around right after surgery

Nuun Active Hydrating Drink Tablets, juice Box Mix, 4 count - Since you are not drinking your quota right after surgery, these are good to put in your Water and also supports your blood pressure

MQ® Motion Sickness patch - I had the doctor put one on me immediately after surgery and I wore it for 4 days after. I had NO issues with nausea

I am one of those people that must have a comfy bed in order for me to sleep. I brought a cushy blanket as a mattress pad as well as my Sherpa blanket to cover with. I also brought a body pillow. it seems like much but when you are in pain and trying to sleep, for me these were essential

One thing I wish I had but did not was a plug in night light. The hospital I was at in Mexico only had lights via the switch at the door. When you are in pain post op its ridiculous to have to get up and down and up and down to turn on a light. I would have loved a small plug in lamp, the kind that you can clip on, that I could have turned on and off without having to twist my body to reach the switch or get up off the bed

Edited by BajanSleeve

On 06/07/2018 at 09:15, Matt Z said:

Inaccurate beats the pants off of not having it at all! If the number decreases every day... does it matter if it's accurate, no, it's still decreasing thus fat loss is occurring.

I hit the scale at the same time every day, doing the same things before I get on the scale, every day. Weight measurements are equally as inaccurate... but that doesn't stop anyone from using them. Having another metric to use in my day to day, is SO MUCH better than going with JUST weight. Nowhere did anyone state that they are medically accurate etc... only that it's a very helpful item to have.

So, I stick to my recommendation to have extra metrics to view and track to help avoid getting frustrated because the weight metric might not decrease. More info is always better than less when tracking trends.

In what world does “inaccurate info “beat the ants off of not having any at all”?! It’s the same darn thing.

My best advice:
Comfy bottoms and earplugs if noise stresses you out.
Definitely comfy bottoms to covers your hiney when you make the rounds in the halls!
Best wishes!

On 06/08/2018 at 11:45, Matt Z said:

It's not just here, it's all over, and I'm not the only one that's noticed the appearance that you've got some ax to grind with me or something. You posted on the Guys room chastising females posting, Less than a month later I make a joke directed at one of the females that posted in a Guys room post and you chastise me for it. There are other instances as well. I just don't understand the logic. And again, it's not me, others also see a number of your posts as coming from a "I'm better" perspective... it's not my insecurities. Nice try though. Deflect rather than reflect on your comments and how others view them, Very classy.

This is not the place for this. You both have helpful information.

I think, for me hands down a little a little emotional support from those I love would be very cool. Just like my first bike, the first pair of high heels, the first time,i tried to steer that bulky,piece of e n gineering we call an automobile, someone to say Hey its Okay, you are Not going to kill yourself doing this! Oh that is something the little teeny ME inside craves this. Yes,to the average bystander I look like a big Obese GrownUp Person. but deep down inside Little Girl Frustr8 worries? What if I can't make a success of this all? and telling her Just Shut Up is being cruel to my quivery foundation.
Like the Little Engine that Could I keep chanting I Think I Can I think I can but a" surrounder" like Cammarays friend who gave her a NSV by saying" Yes I can see a change" that would be SO COOL!

I couldn’t agree more with you Frustr8

1 hour ago, Screwballski said:
On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 9:15 AM, Matt Z said:

Inaccurate beats the pants off of not having it at all! If the number decreases every day... does it matter if it's accurate, no, it's still decreasing thus fat loss is occurring.

I hit the scale at the same time every day, doing the same things before I get on the scale, every day. Weight measurements are equally as inaccurate... but that doesn't stop anyone from using them. Having another metric to use in my day to day, is SO MUCH better than going with JUST weight. Nowhere did anyone state that they are medically accurate etc... only that it's a very helpful item to have.

So, I stick to my recommendation to have extra metrics to view and track to help avoid getting frustrated because the weight metric might not decrease. More info is always better than less when tracking trends.

In what world does “inaccurate info “beat the ants off of not having any at all”?! It’s the same darn thing.

I think his point is that if he gets on the scale and there is loss (specifically talking about the fat %), even if it's not accurate, its still helpful information. He knows that he is trending in the right direction. Actually, someone recommended one for me and I just ordered it. It does the same type thing. It's got 5k 4 star reviews on Amazon. I think it's unfair to say that they are all inaccurate. I don't think there are 5k people out there that LOVE inaccuracy. Just sayin.

I absolutely could not sleep on my bed post op for 3 days. Recliner worked great!

Ice. The only thing i could tolerate for the first couple weeks was frozen crushed ice drinks. I would freeze juice boxes and shave off the frozen ice with a spoon and eat it that way.

I have ‘found’ my beverage of choice to get in my water/hydration quota. A big 16 oz glass - add some ice, about 4 oz blue G2 Gatorade and then fill with Water. Slightly light blue in color and a slight berry flavor. It’s working for me. I can’t drink plain water.