Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

regretting my sleeve

I recently had my sleeve done about a week ago and am seriously regretting it!!!

I feel like I have completely gave up my control of my eating habits and I've been feeling very sad, upset and down lately, I recently cried a lot because I just don't know why I got my self into this. I really do believe that since experiencing this gastric sleeve surgery so far that I could have lost the weight naturally. Im just very sad it has come to this I am missing my ability to control what I eat. What's making me sad the most is that I can not control what or how I eat with this surgery, and this 'control' thing I believe has a deeper meaning from my childhood. so it has been real tough for me give this control up. I don't think gastric sleeve is reversible ? But if it was I would totally do it. I'm in my early twenties and just am very upset about my decision in doing this. Is there anyway to make the new stomach stretch once I'm able to eat again? or some how to undue it all, if anyone knows please comment.

I'm not interested in a therapist.

An yes I know the whole point of this surgery was to limit my food intake, but because that control of what I eat and how much was taken from me I don't believe I will be successful. Going thru this surgery I would have rather tried harder dieting naturally with a cheat day once a month please help!

I have not had surgery as of yet but based on what I have read in these forums it's not completely unnatural to regret or feel bad at this point, you are still only on post op liquids if it's anything like what mine is. You eventually will be able to eat solid foods again and whatever you want just less of it. For me I am told the first 2 weeks I have Protein Shakes only and broth etc, then I go to pureed food for 2 weeks, after that I can start introducing solid foods.

Things will get better for you just make sure to stick with the diet you are supposed to be on right now because your stomach is healing and imagine all the weight you will lose and how much better you will look and feel in the future. Hang in there!

I regretted my sleeve the first few days after surgery as well, but have grown to love my sleeve.. it was the absolute best decision I could have ever made for myself.. it is hard in the beginning because you are relearning how and what to eat. It is not the end of the world.. I am much more satisfied now with food than I ever was when I was bigger. My relationship with food has changed. once you are able to have regular food again it will get better. The worst part of the entire thing to me was the liquid and purée part of the diet. Don’t do anything to sabatoge your surgery, right now you are at risk of having a leak. If you ever feel like talking please reach out. I am here as well as many others in this group..

It’s natural to be a bit down after the surgery. After all many of us use food to workout other issues, whether it be stress, control, feeling good or something else... We all lost that tool when we got the surgery and now have to find other (and healthier) coping mechanisms. If control is your thing then take control of your eating and focus on sticking to the plan 100%. Its hard to cheat now, but soon you will be able to and you’ll need control not to.

Once the weight starts coming off and you start feeling better you might find you really like the new you. I know for me I hit a point here I went from semi sad about losing the joy food brought me to the realization that I would happily trade it again for my new chance at health and mobiity.

1 hour ago, connie123lok said:

I recently had my sleeve done about a week ago and am seriously regretting it!!!

I feel like I have completely gave up my control of my eating habits and I've been feeling very sad, upset and down lately, I recently cried a lot because I just don't know why I got my self into this. I really do believe that since experiencing this gastric sleeve surgery so far that I could have lost the weight naturally. Im just very sad it has come to this I am missing my ability to control what I eat. What's making me sad the most is that I can not control what or how I eat with this surgery, and this 'control' thing I believe has a deeper meaning from my childhood. so it has been real tough for me give this control up. I don't think gastric sleeve is reversible ? But if it was I would totally do it. I'm in my early twenties and just am very upset about my decision in doing this. Is there anyway to make the new stomach stretch once I'm able to eat again? or some how to undue it all, if anyone knows please comment.

An yes I know the whole point of this surgery was to limit my food intake, but because that control of what I eat and how much was taken from me I don't believe I will be successful. Going thru this surgery I would have rather tried harder dieting naturally with a cheat day once a month please help!

You don’t have to give up delicious foods in moderation. Please take a look at my Instagram. I have some nice examples of options on there. You can do this!

Find my page at, “my_tiny_healthy_plate”.

1 hour ago, connie123lok said:

I understand that control is an issue for you and I also understand that childhood trauma can alter your state of mind at anytime but these are some serious thoughts you are having. Regretting your surgery to the point that you are already contemplating ways (albeit very unhealthy and unsafe ways) to stretch your sleeve back out really isn’t safe for your physical and mental well being. I read that you didn’t want a therapist, but having someone to talk to at this time could really help you adapt to the changes that you are uncomfortable with. And I say this because, as fresh out of surgery as you are, if you opted to try to stretch your sleeve out with food anytime in the near future, you could have some serious health risks at hand. I do not believe that you would want to risk your life by rupturing your staple line which could result in death or serious additional surgeries. Also, if you survived, your adaptation back to real food would start over and be a much slower process. These are things that you should consider before automatically dismissing therapeutic intervention. If you were able to work thru your lack of control, I am sure that you would find the healthier physical you will appreciate the healthier mental you as well.

It will take some time, but you will go back to being able to eat anything you want to, although not as much (still, much more than you'd believe now). This surgery isn't magic--you can undo any good it does you in terms of weight loss by what you eat. During one period since the surgery, I gained ten pounds (though I'm thrilled that I've again lost them).

This is a tool--you can learn to use it or not as you choose. If you use the first year to learn to make better choices, it can do you good long term.

But I'll readily agree that the first month after the surgery just kind of sucks. I hated it and was so happy when it was over. My suggestion is to wait for a bit and re-evaluate your feelings after three months, six months, a year . . .

14 hours ago, connie123lok said:

Not sure what kind of preparation and evaluation you received before surgery but I would strongly recommend finding someone with experience in eating disorders that you are comfortable with to talk to. Many people use food (as well as drugs/alcohol) to treat depression and childhood trauma is a big causative factor especially in someone your age.

It is entirely possible to stretch the sleeve out so you can eat what and how much you want to. I know people who have done this. However, it is vitally important that you follow your doctor's recommendations until you are fully healed to avoid life threatening complications. I am hoping that by then you will be feeling more accepting of the limitations. And this whole concept of "cheat days" only cheats yourself. There is a reasonable portion of anything that you can enjoy eventually. You ARE losing weight naturally, the sleeve is just a tool to help you.

Please be gentle with yourself and take it one day at a time. Hugs!!

You say you're not interested in seeing a therapist, but that is what you need.

You have control and food issues that stem from childhood, and you are looking for a way to undo or stretch your sleeve just one week in. This isn't something a forum can help you with. If you really want to get to a healthy mental place, you are going to need professional help.

I understand your feelings, you are just realizing what control of food had on you. Your relationship with food has changed, it will get better, you did this surgery for a reason. If your doctor has a support group I recommend attending. Even all the classes I had prior to the surgery could not mentally prepare me for what I was about to experience. I had similar feelings, but you will feel better stay the course. Hang in there. You can do this, You are strong.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:07 PM, MIZ60 said:

Not sure what kind of preparation and evaluation you received before surgery but I would strongly recommend finding someone with experience in eating disorders that you are comfortable with to talk to. Many people use food (as well as drugs/alcohol) to treat depression and childhood trauma is a big causative factor especially in someone your age.

It is entirely possible to stretch the sleeve out so you can eat what and how much you want to. I know people who have done this. However, it is vitally important that you follow your doctor's recommendations until you are fully healed to avoid life threatening complications. I am hoping that by then you will be feeling more accepting of the limitations. And this whole concept of "cheat days" only cheats yourself. There is a reasonable portion of anything that you can enjoy eventually. You ARE losing weight naturally, the sleeve is just a tool to help you.

Please be gentle with yourself and take it one day at a time. Hugs!!

how did they stretch it out??

I would like to know because in weird way it gives me peace of mind knowing the option is there and that I haven't lost all control

I can't believe you think stretching you're stomach back out would be an option! We have come to far to even consider that! You go through so much **** before actually having the surgery that if you even have the slightest doubts you probably should not waste everyone's time and money. It's a lifestyle change NOT AN EASY FIX! Not only that who said any surgery was going to be a piece of cake....of course it's hard! If it weren't everyone would have it!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

39 minutes ago, connie123lok said:

I would like to know because in weird way it gives me peace of mind knowing the option is there and that I haven't lost all control

They stretched it back out by overeating and not following the post surgery guidelines. The one person went through the surgery and then lived totally on mac and cheese and chocolate milk. This was a few years back and she was actually self pay. She spent about $40000 to lose a grand total of 20 pounds. The other one just snacked and ate sweets and drank Coke all day long. She was actually my coworker and thought what she was doing was just fine and said the surgery just did not work for her. I think she had a net weight loss of 30 pounds.

Please let yourself heal and then give it a chance and see how you feel and you might be surprised.

4 hours ago, connie123lok said:

Please consider seeing a therapist. This is an incredibly self destructive thought process. You are young, take this time to get mentally healthy.