Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing During Rapid Weightloss Months

I wasn't going to buy anything new but my work pants (black slacks) were hanging on me and I have to constantly pull them up as I walk around my classroom. And some of my tops were looking more like dresses, so I went out today and purchased a few basics. And I do have some things I've saved in the next sizes down.

My weight loss is going so slow it may take me 6 more months to lose the next 10 pounds and I don't wanna feel frumpy for that long!

There are usually good bargins at thrift stores. or do you possibly have something like consignment shoppes in your area? I have found name brand clothes at a greatly reduced price there. I agree you hate to put out too much money into a wardrobe when you only might be that size for a short while.I do hope you make every weight goal swiftly and smoothly.😛

I had to think on this a bit more today when I finally tackled the clothing fallout in my room from the past few weeks of being busy with other stuff! We here in the upside-down (shout out to all the "Stranger Things" fans) AKA Aussieland have finally hit Autumn weather. Any shorts in my current size or next size down is going straight into the donations pile. Same with a few pairs of jeans and work pants that are current size or near it (or are kinda my size but the waist gapes badly or whatever). I was happy to find some lightweight yoga pants which might be good in the interim. Dresses I'll hold on to until I'm definitely too small for, as I'm short and large busted (had my fingers crossed I'd wind up smaller post babies and breastfeeding, but only dropped back from a H to a 16G - if I don't wind up below a DD at goal weight I'll try for a reduction along with uplift surgery - I'll probably be hanging to my knees by then anyway :rolleyes: )

I'm going to see how much my size changes over the next two weeks as I approach surgery day, and might at least pick up a few pairs of cheap comfy undies 2 sizes down in case I need them in hospital (I figure my current 24's will still stay up ok while I shrink through size 22). Once I get more than a week post sleeve I should be functional enough to go try on a couple of low-price pants at a local Big W, target or K-mart while the kids are in school, and pick up a few things to carry me through winter. I"m short and I carry a lot of weight on my arms and legs as well as my tummy and butt, and often need to size clothing to my thighs (which with many styles leaves the waist to large or gaping at the back) so I don't really trust trying to buy any pants ahead of time.

It will be lovely to be able to start buying (or at least have the OPTION to buy) stuff at the top end (18/20) of the standard ranges offered by department stores like kmart and target here, rather than the minuscule range in the plus size section. I'm not working at the moment, so at least don't have to have "professional" clothing as I move down sizes.

I'm glad that I never got around the donating my couple of nice (acrylic because wool makes me itchy) knitted jackets that are about size 18/20, mostly because I wanted to wash them first before donating and never got around to it. Given I'll likely be swimming in my size 24-26 jackets by mid-winter the knitted ones will be very handy to have (and can then be washed and donated in spring since they'll likely be too big for the next winter).

I have been buying jeans at costco. They’re under $15 , so I can buy a size when I need them. They ship quickly too.

Sound as though you are both wise and budget conscience. What a Good Idea!👍😛

I'm going to try out GwynnieBee.com.

Ive used this site in the past and have been considering using it again. I had the subscription to 3 pieces at a time. Usually one worked out. Watch out for cheap material.

The one line I really liked was City Chic. I even went to their site and bought some pieces. They have 40% off sales often and the clothes are cute, affordable and work appropriate.

It was also sometimes frustrating because you have to have 12 items in your cart and you never know which ones you’ll get. I had some favorited for over 6 months and they never came.

12 hours ago, NYCNomad said:

Ive used this site in the past and have been considering using it again. I had the subscription to 3 pieces at a time. Usually one worked out. Watch out for cheap material.

The one line I really liked was City Chic. I even went to their site and bought some pieces. They have 40% off sales often and the clothes are cute, affordable and work appropriate.

It was also sometimes frustrating because you have to have 12 items in your cart and you never know which ones you’ll get. I had some favorited for over 6 months and they never came.

We have similar tastes, lol! I own about 10-12 City Chic dresses currently. I plan to get the 10 item at a time package. I'm not happy about the cost, but with items coming that don't fit, or I don't like, or have some issue, it seems the only way to ensure I have something professional to wear.

Hopefully at some point I'll actually need a smaller size, ugh!

We have similar tastes, lol! I own about 10-12 City Chic dresses currently. I plan to get the 10 item at a time package. I'm not happy about the cost, but with items coming that don't fit, or I don't like, or have some issue, it seems the only way to ensure I have something professional to wear.
Hopefully at some point I'll actually need a smaller size, ugh!

Haha nice! And you should be good with 10 items at a time. I still have enough clothes that I’ve held into to get me through the next couple of months but I’m definitely considering this down the road!

I am *really* hoping it starts warming up soon (mid-April, and still in the 50s? This is ridiculous!) because I need to be able to switch to capris, which I have in the next size down, because I don't have any pants in that size, don't want to buy them to wear for only a couple weeks, and the jeans I have in my "current" size are SO FREAKING BAGGY. And I would just like to be able to start wearing flipflops again, because I hate regular shoes. My feet want to be FREE!

Honestly, I will probably be one of those people who buys outfits for every other size. (i.e. 24 pants now, but rocking SEVERE saggy bum LOL) and I probably won't buy anything until size 20. I love shopping, and am excited LOL. Hubby not so much... He is cheap. He may or may not being having anxiety about checking account balances LOL.

Happy to donate the clothes when I outgrow to anyone here who may be on a budget.

We just may make a deal Kay07, I am ready to sell buttock fat. I currently have enough for it to have its own Zip Code tatooed on. Might even ship to the right party, does FedX or UPS ship fatty tissue? Feel like I am in a wait until you see the surgeon stall- my body is in a state of homeostasis, that means it's perfectly happy at 323 lbs, my arthritic joints and I don't agree. Me and my,joints and every doctor want me at 175 lbs, body says. Nope, ain't gonna happen. You want to be smaller do it yourself. Hey I'm trying I'm trying! This fat is melting,slower than a snowball in Antarctica. I walk,until I tire out which isn't too long, I do DVD exercises until I'm out of breath, my ghrelin screams Hey did you have your throat cut? Send something down here, would you? and my sciatica says Where you think YOU RE going? At 72 every body system has its own voice and they all talk at once! Still it is better than being dead, the grave is a very quiet place. And now you have a small sample of my current daily life 😣👎

I just bought a smattering of new stuff in my next size down!! I am planning to keep my wardrobe LEAN and rely on accessories to carry me through to my goal. Fortunately, I only go into my office 3 days a week. Black pant, white pant, a versatile black dress, and some tee's -- done!

Edited by Apple203

I'm planning on doing the every-other-size thing, as well, but I'm not sure if it's going to work out in the long run, because I realized today that my size 28 jeans are so loose I can pull them down without unbuttoning them.

I think I am going to have to shop for the next lower sized jeans too ... 46 for me.

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

16 minutes ago, istytehcrawk said:

I'm planning on doing the every-other-size thing, as well, but I'm not sure if it's going to work out in the long run, because I realized today that my size 28 jeans are so loose I can pull them down without unbuttoning them.

Awesome!